Beau is Afraid

I'm not a big fan of Ari Aster (I find his contemporary, Robert Eggers, more compelling and interesting as a film-maker) but this has me genuinely interested. I don't know what it's about other than the blurb Aster gave out: "A Jewish Lord of the Rings."

Soo.... Anybody see it?

W....

T....

F....

I have so many questions. I'm not sure what I just watched. The whole thing was like experiencing a fever dream.

Was it as weird a film as that time Mr. Phoenix fell in love with his cell phone?

IMG_9438.jpeg

Was it as weird a film as that time Mr. Phoenix fell in love with his cell phone?
That doesn't hold a candle to this. It's basically 3 hours of someone with severe anxiety worried that the most horrible, random, impossible things are going to happen and then they do happen. and they keep happening, non-stop.

I was a big fan of his last two films, but this is the one movie I can only respond to critics praise with:

THE EMPEROR HAS NO CLOTHES!!!!

After it hit act 8 (with no idea how many more hours might be left), I stood up during yet another excruciatingly long shot, bag in hand, ready to announce to the crowd of perplexed viewers, “WELP! IM OUT!” (Expecting some possible laughs)

But then at that exact moment “written and directed by Ari Aster” popped on screen and ruined it.

I dunno what happened there, and have no intention of watching again to figure how… but after act 1 that movie became pain on screen for my head.

I read a good article on it that I thought summarized it well.
It's the Hero's Journey, the monomyth. Except the hero doesn't learn anything, fails all along the way, the dragon wins, and even the journey home fails. Imagine all your greatest fears of being a failure, a coward, of upsetting people and being accused when you didn't do anything wrong, of being lied to and manipulated. If any situation can go wrong 10 different ways, it's actually an 11th random new way that actually goes wrong.
This^ for 3 hours in a non-stop stream of chaos to the point that when the movie is over you can't remember anything about it.

Spoiler

Then throw in a penis monster just in case it wasn't bizarre enough. :lol:

Well, I was right when I said (at the beginning of that thread) "Pass":D I loath movies (or cinema) that, under the guise of being "avant-garde" or "too sophisticated for the uneducated peasants" basically say NOTHING!! You're leaving the theatre asking yourself questions like:
"Should I ask for my money back or am I a total imbecile for not having understood the whole story?" Did the movie comes with a map explaining the "why", the "what" and "because" of the story? I think that the trailer was enough for me...thank you:p

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back