Be careful with Armitage Shanks Handwheels fellow Obi Saber builders!

The plastic is very weak, even during drilling you have to take care about heating, causing chrome flaking.
The best is to gring a bit the chrome where you want to drill, then do the drilling slowly, removing the material often.
I won't meet this problem with my own pommel, ils solid tempered steel, so you can probably hang on it.

Remember this sink knob? I just used it on a custom saber and made my own "repair" for this cube break. The plastic was a little too soft to tap reliably, so I used glue. I used a belt sander to flatten the cube and drilled a piece of aluminum for the D ring. I then used the same belt sander to thin the aluminum so the D ring hole was only 2/3 in the aluminum and 1/3 in the plastic.
IMG_1441.jpeg

The little hex screws are essentially glue pins I guess, but it doesn't look half bad. This was re-chromed by a shop out west. Originally they were yellow bidet taps with chrome shoulders, and i sent the rings somewhere to do it for cheap.

Link to the new custom saber 2024 Tom’s 2024 custom lightsaber from a Cherry Flash | RPF Costume and Prop Maker Community

Granted, my hand made pommels are virtually worthless, but that's why I don't drill all the way through the cube to mount the D-ring. I usually just put a "dimple" on either side of the cube and cut out the center of the ring. Not entirely accurate, but far less risky.

Remember this sink knob? I just used it on a custom saber and made my own "repair" for this cube break. The plastic was a little too soft to tap reliably, so I used glue. I used a belt sander to flatten the cube and drilled a piece of aluminum for the D ring. I then used the same belt sander to thin the aluminum so the D ring hole was only 2/3 in the aluminum and 1/3 in the plastic.
View attachment 1785891

The little hex screws are essentially glue pins I guess, but it doesn't look half bad. This was re-chromed by a shop out west. Originally they were yellow bidet taps with chrome shoulders, and i sent the rings somewhere to do it for cheap.

Link to the new custom saber 2024 Tom’s 2024 custom lightsaber from a Cherry Flash | RPF Costume and Prop Maker Community
I really like this fix. Very true to the sw world

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back