Battlestar Galactica Finished pics

It's been said many times, but WOW what an amazing job you did!

This ha always been my favorite SF ship and you did it justice.

Wow...!

Aside from the ST:TMP Enterprise, this is one of my all-time favorite movie miniatures.

The original Galactica design by McQuarrie is far superior to that reimagined piece of junk... Nice detail and lighting on it.

It's a classic design that has persisted and is still relevant.

They could use it for a new Galactica production and it would still look good today!

If I remember correctly, there was a part from a 1956 ford model car in there somewhere or something a long those lines. That was a long time ago, so my memory may be off. What a fantastic job!!!

STUNNING.

OK lets start a buy one list:

1 x Samster27

:lol As if I could afford it ( hmmmm could sell a kidney! Can you make do with one liver? )

Fantastic work..ABSOLUTELY MAGNIFICENT.

Been quietly watching your build and now see the end result..... OMG!!!! This is with out a doubt the best SS build to date. You should be very proud of such amazing craftsmanship.

Jeff

Been following Jim's build progress for years. To my knowledge, Jim was the first person to make a Studio Scale ship many years ago, back when the information on kit parts and measurements where a complete mystery. Jim C. will always be regarded as a trail Blazer. Over the past 5 years or so, more information has come to light due to the communal efforts and research of builders like Jim C, Sean Sides, Sean Corsini , Charles Adams and others. The sheer amount of parts, and the time it takes to build one of these ships is immense, and until you've tackled one, it's difficult to fully imagine the size of this project. Jim C. is a master builder and a HUGE congrats to him on creating this fantastic ship.

Trust me, if there's a model that will make visitors ooh and ahh every time they see it, even if it's for the 100th time, it's a studio scale Battlestar! They just look so menacing and pleasing from any possible angle. Jim's spectacular build is no exception. Due to its continuing popularity, I think he needs to post many more pics so we can ooh and ahh for another year....;)

Mike

What an amazing build!!

I'd love to hear the numbers.
How many hours to build?
How many parts?
How much to buy all the kits/parts used?

How much to commission my own?! :)

h3pilot,

I started my project in early 2001 and have invested around $3500 dollars in donar kits and I have less than half what is needed for detailing. I would conservatively estimate over the last 11 years to have about 25000 - 30000 man hours in research and development to bring me to the verge of construction which will probablly take 1-2 more years untill I hit the damn I need the bottom part in a stack to continue problem.

Not a project for the faint hearted :)

Richard

I know it took Sean Sides about 3+ years to build his? Mike Oz and Phil Curl have been building theirs in Australia for years as well. At Custom Replicas it took our crew of 3-4 people working 5 days a week, approx 9 months to build our Galactica, and that was because 99% of the information on the parts was available. The Atlantia finished in 2008 took over a year. My best guess at how many kit parts are on the outside of the ship? If you also count all the piping, it runs about 2200 parts. And that's not including the tiny styrene squares and rectangle details all over the ship. Their is a reason why to date, that only about 6 ships have ever been created in 34 years by fans. It is a monumental task.

That 9 months was plus the time I spent designing it and also building the head module and engine sections for you. So, a little over a year total as best I can recall. Most of your time was spent detailing it. Not an easy task to be sure! :)

I think Sean holds the record for the fastest build. If memory serves, he got his done start to finish in about 1 year. (Sean is a veritable studio-scale modeling machine.) Jim C. is not far behind because, IIRC, he got his first one done almost that fast.

I may hold the record for the most battlestars built overall, but I haven't had a chance to finish one fully detailed yet. I sold my work-in-progress build late last year. And, I've been so busy either building complete battlestar "bodies" or sections of them for other people that I haven't had time to even think about starting another one for myself. LOL :)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back