Battlestar Galactica: 40th Anniversary

Is that not the very definition of gate keeping though?

which part of my comment are you reacting to?

if it's the first part, that was intended as a bit of fun...so no, that isn't gatekeeping, as I was only having a lark.

If it's the part where I acknowledge the debt that we owe to the original while explainign that I like the NuBSG better... I don't know what to tell you there. Still not seeing gatekeeping??

Off topic a bit, but even as a child I used to wonder how Steve Austin could lift very heavy items with his bionic arm without crushing his spin.
And legs...don't get me started on how his legs worked! His body would simply collapse under the stress of his bionics!

Man I miss that show. :lol

Off topic a bit, but even as a child I used to wonder how Steve Austin could lift very heavy items with his bionic arm without crushing his spin.
And legs...don't get me started on how his legs worked! His body would simply collapse under the stress of his bionics!

What are you doing using logic. You're just supposed to believe everything you see on TV and not try and make sense of it.:lol

So how do we feel about the "new" BSG?

I was introduced to that first and it blew my mind. I was a total junkie. But over time, it wore on me and although I liked the finale, everything post-new caprica was a struggle.

Then I checked out the old one.

And after all is said and done, I actually prefer the old one. Sure, there was some schlock, but it was a true space opera and for the time, it was a real achievement.

Also, I would love to see a third show, and keep the "all this has happened before..." thing going.

But I would love it to about OUR future. One that ties into the old show. Maybe 500 years from now where we have a better understanding of where we came from and there is this lurking feeling that we have some connection to kobol.

And then cylon uprising happens again, here. And we leave to find the origin of man

As much as I liked the new series, the old one will always be nearest and dearest to me. I was seven when the original came out and it had the same effect on me that Star Wars did. You can argue that its cheesy now by todays standards, but the storylines and drama still hold my attention. The music was epic and still is. The ship designs and special effects, although dated now, were quite excellent for the time.

I wish it would have run more than one season. I always thought an interesting episode for it would be if they encountered the last of the remaining reptilian cylons, a few who had somehow survived when their machines turned on them. They still have a hatred for humanity, but realizing they are about to be discovered, they join up to momentarily turn back the machines. They would than either part ways at the end, or the machine cylons would finish off the last remaining reptilian ones. I could see it being a 2 or 3 parter. I'm probably not the only one who has thought of this idea.

I am old enough to have seen the TV "pilot" episodes released as a feature film in theaters. Yes, my day took me to the movie theater to see Battlestar Galactica.

Oh, and by the way...

IIRC in the book Cyborg, the series was based on, it explained that they reinforced his skeletal system with an advanced alloy. Think Wolverine and admantium. I used to wonder the same thing, until I finally found the novel in a little hole in the wall bookstore.

Same here, nothing beats seeing a movie in “SENSURROUND” lol

I am old enough to have seen the TV "pilot" episodes released as a feature film in theaters. Yes, my day took me to the movie theater to see Battlestar Galactica.

Oh, and by the way...

Last edited:
If I recall there was a recall on the toys, something to do with the launching missles as choke hazard or something.

Mattel Toys used to be located two blocks from where I grew up where now a Home Depot shopping center now stands just off the 405 freeway in Hawthorne CA. A friends grandpa used to work on the design team so we got to test and play with all sorts of new and rehashed toys. One was a variation of the Green Machine that had handle bars and rubber wheels. Around this time is when we discovered the trash bins and how easily accessible they were on weekends. Mattel had a BSG miniature toy rocket replacement promotion that for every one you sent in, they sent a Hot Wheel in return. We founds bags and bags of those little plastic toy rockets in the dumpsters...

When the SW Special Editions were released in theaters during the 90's there was a guy that I met standing in line for Star Wars and then again for Empire. He would race to save seats for friends that arrived after the lights dimmed. For ROTJ he decided to sit with my girlfriend and I, and again he saved a couple seats. When the lights dimmed his friends arrived, it was Richard Hatch and a lady friend.

Another cast related story was when we used to sneak onto film sets or crash locations. Once we crashed the A-Team for lunch in San Pedro and sat with Dirk Benedict eating fish. Nothing much more to speak of but ive not heard any stories of people on set with him outside of fellow cast members. On the same note when we would gate crash Universal Studios they had a couple Vipers sitting out unattended on the backlot. You could walk right up and climb in, literally.

A few years ago when filming a tv pilot we needed an old skool starfield for outside of an in space base. A friend that worked on Enterprise made a call to a friend at the Paramount rags dept knowing where they had them stored. We rented it for a case of beer as they were not on the computer system. The one particular my friend had dropped off when Enterprise wrapped so he knew exactly where it was, still rolled up in a sack. The original paperwork file was located and the starfield had been created for the original ST tv series and used in nearly every Sci_fi series up to Enterprise, including BSG. So, in some scenes, youre seeing the same black empty space exterior from ST, Buck Rogers, and BSG...

I saw the movie in the theater in Sensurround. A massive subwoofer was rolled into the theater. Every time they showed the Galactica ship during the film the entire theater rumbled with deep bass. It was waaaaaay cool back in the day. I still love the original tv series.

I’m a big fan of the reboot series and never have seen the original. I found out NBC.com has the originals available for streaming so I’m going to start on them!

I saw the movie in the theater in Sensurround. A massive subwoofer was rolled into the theater. Every time they showed the Galactica ship during the film the entire theater rumbled with deep bass. It was waaaaaay cool back in the day. I still love the original tv series.

I remember seeing in Sensurround to and it was way awesome. I also saw the movie Midway and every time a bomb exploded you felt the building shaking a bit.

There is a certain charm to the original Galactica shows- yes they had some wincing moments, but al in all I still find them enjoyable.
I had just gotten through with College when the series premiered. To me it had the same vibe as Star Wars but it was sweeping and majestic- seeing the small fighters weaving around the giant Battlestars and the variety of the ragtag fleet. Sadly the repetitious SFX sequences due to budget were a bit distracting, but with the clothing and language you did feel this was all taking place someplace else.

One of the few series I have a complete collection of on DVD, plus a lot of models too...

Totally 2 different shows.

Remember when this was filmed and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did and still do

I’m a big fan of the reboot series and never have seen the original. I found out NBC.com has the originals available for streaming so I’m going to start on them!

I’m kind of going into it the same way I tell the young kids that are going to see Star Wars for the first time.

Yup, I too am a huge fan of the original series. Growing up during that time, TV shows like this we're simply amazing, to be able to watch sci fi on the small screen. The Colonial Warrior uniform is just so perfect and timeless!!! I still wish to this day that I still had my replica warrior uniform.

Chris

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back