Battlestar Galactica: 40th Anniversary

I wish I could still fit in my Screen used one! :p

Yup, I too am a huge fan of the original series. Growing up during that time, TV shows like this we're simply amazing, to be able to watch sci fi on the small screen. The Colonial Warrior uniform is just so perfect and timeless!!! I still wish to this day that I still had my replica warrior uniform.

Chris

As so many others here, I grew up watching the continual reruns of Galactica and Rogers, loving them to death. I saw the BSG pilot in the theater, when they did the experimental sound-thing that made the seats rattle and shake from the volume! A few years ago, I had the opportunity to hear the original theme (along with many other SciFi staples) played live by the Stockholm Royal Philharmonic and it was beyond awesome... tear inducing that I can still feel to this day.

But being truly honest, yet still acknowledging what it achieved, it hasn't stood the test of time (though Buck Rogers fares a lot worse). It's just so mired in the style and trends of the 70s... smarmy, cheesy, chauvinistic, sentimental and primitive (or innocent, if you'd rather) from a narrative perspective. I will always cherish it, but Ron Moore's take, which does owe a lot to the original, blows it out of the water. Its one of precious few remakes/reboots that have been well and truly justified.

We'll see in another 20 years if nuBSG remains watchable, but I'm currently going through it again (after a hiatus of a few years) and it still holds up incredibly well- so well that I'm now on a (seemingly impossible) binge to find an Anovos uniform, flight suit fabric... more props than those I already have... and so on... craziness reignited!

As so many others here, I grew up watching the continual reruns of Galactica and Rogers, loving them to death. I saw the BSG pilot in the theater, when they did the experimental sound-thing that made the seats rattle and shake from the volume! A few years ago, I had the opportunity to hear the original theme (along with many other SciFi staples) played live by the Stockholm Royal Philharmonic and it was beyond awesome... tear inducing that I can still feel to this day.

But being truly honest, yet still acknowledging what it achieved, it hasn't stood the test of time (though Buck Rogers fares a lot worse). It's just so mired in the style and trends of the 70s... smarmy, cheesy, chauvinistic, sentimental and primitive (or innocent, if you'd rather) from a narrative perspective. I will always cherish it, but Ron Moore's take, which does owe a lot to the original, blows it out of the water. Its one of precious few remakes/reboots that have been well and truly justified.

We'll see in another 20 years if nuBSG remains watchable, but I'm currently going through it again (after a hiatus of a few years) and it still holds up incredibly well- so well that I'm now on a (seemingly impossible) binge to find an Anovos uniform, flight suit fabric... more props than those I already have... and so on... craziness reignited!

I have a hard time with a lot of NUGalactica....but I will say that Exodus Part 2 is one of the finest episodes on television. Up there with Ozymandias from Breaking Bad

Meh Nu Gal squandered its chance :rolleyes:

Loved the first few years and then it just fell off a cliff and fast

It became so ludicrously bad at the end that I was embarrassed for the Actors and all involved :unsure:

NuBSG had a lot of great moments but I was just not into all that drama in dark rooms stuff.
TOS-BSG I think kept the show personal and while it did have some wincers I like watching the series over and over again.
Anybody remember a follow up novel where they found Cain with a repaired Pegasus (along with a newer Battlestar under construction)? I read it a long time ago and cannot remember much about it

it still holds up incredibly well- so well that I'm now on a (seemingly impossible) binge to find an Anovos uniform, flight suit fabric... more props than those I already have... and so on... craziness reignited!

OMG me, too. I have a set of greens and a set of blues... but have ALWAYS wanted a Viper Jock suit and regret not making one when everyone else was doing it years ago when the fabric was still available.

Also my Anovos double tanks have always been too small and I'd love to get another set but they no longer exist :/

I do agree that the ending of NuBSG was less than i'd hoped for. But overall it was a very VERY good bit of TV drama and I still love it.

Original BSG has a place in my heart--and I do own it--but haven't attempted a re-watch in over 10 years.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back