Battle Damaged Sentinel Face Prop

Turbeau

I made a large sentinel head, its really just the face, to carry around with my X-men themed group at this years SDCC. I did not take very many build pics but there are a few I think that are worth sharing.
Unfortunely I do not have a pic of the underlying structure. This part of the build was where I struggled the most. The original plan was to use foam to carve/glue/paint. I had 0 luck with that because the foam I had I could not glue together, I was using white packing foam in large blocks. So after some brainstorming I came up with a new idea. Take a plastic trash can, cut it to the width needed, cut it in half hamburger style (across the horizontal axis), then use some nuts and bolts to secure the two pieces together. The natural curve of the can acted as the curve of the face and part of the bottom of the can was used as lower support. Once bolted together it was kinda flimsy so I bolted in two horizontal pieces of PVC pip to add some rigidity, they also acted as two perfect carrying handles.

I started with a design drawn on a full size piece of cardboard.
8510 059.JPG I based it off a toy sentinel 8510 058.PNG I used a free photo manipulator tool on my phone to erase the parts that would be battle damaged.

Next, I used paper templates to cut out pieces of EVA foam to hot glue to the outside of the trashcan thing. CC2014 016.JPG The gold pieces have no relevance. Painting EVA can be a real PITA (pain in the ass), so my friend suggested we use some thermal form plastic sheets. We went down to San Diego Plastic supply company in Chula Vista and picked up some way too big sheets for about $50. We ended up using about an eight of what we bought. I cut out pieces of the plastic to heat with a heat gun and bend and mold until they fit. CC2014 027.JPGHere is pic of some of the pieces shaped and glued on.
After all the plastic was glued on the fun and easy stuff was next. BATTLE DAMAGE! We used a mini blow torch and wide drill bit to create gun shots (that cable made) , and a dremel to cut in the slash marks (that wolverine made). CC2014 037.JPG I heated up two sections on the front, my friend put a glove on, then pressed his fist into the hot plastic to create punch marks (colossus). Battle damage is fun because you cant mess up, no stress.

Last edited:
Re: Sentinel Head

CC2014 038.JPGNext step was to paint it up. Went to home depot and bought like $40 of exterior house paint. I only used about $3.76 worth of it to paint the whole thing. My friend let me use his sweet air brush. I masked off part and sprayed a tan-ish color for the skin part. We got some light brown that I mixed in to the tan and sprayed that color for some shadows. CC2014 041.JPG We found the perfect purple hue and sprayed that. CC2014 042.JPG Now the part I was looking forward to the most. Painting the battle damage. I read and watched some tutorials on how to do it, but I most of the techniques required silver to be painted first, then the color coats, then remove the color coats to reveal the silver. I couldnt do that because I already painted the color. So I figured out a way to paint battle damage reverse style. I practiced on my Cyclops mask.
start with the color you want. new visor 002.JPG then paint black on where the battle damage will be. new visor 003.JPG Then paint on the silver, I used a liquid leaf. new visor 004.JPGHere are some pieces I did for my Cyke costume. new visor 001.JPGLooks cool right? Its super easy. So for the sentinel head I did a lot of it, all over. CC2014 046.JPG For the eye I had hot glued in some circuit boards that I had been salvaging for a while. Painted and glued an eye out of some old plastic bits. Due to mismanaged time I was not able to wire in a cool LED. Dang. Here is a final pick, there are some wires and tubing I glued in to spruce it up. CC2014 060.JPG I am really happy with the finished product. Its the largest cosplay thing I have ever built. Mike, Amanda, Sean, and Ian helped me out all along the way.

That is pretty badass man. I've been dying to make a sentinel head but could never land on how I would do it or display it and this has given me a great idea. Love it man. Kickass work

I saw you guys on Friday at the Marvel photo shoot. What a great idea! I really loved it. I need to talk my wife into "dressing up" like that when I wear Magneto. I especially loved the circuit boards around the eyes.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back