Batmobile 1989 29inch kit accurisation and restoration wip

judgedredd

Sr Member
I managed to buy a 29inch 89 Batmobile off ebay its very rough and poorly cast the detailing is not very good so i thought i would have a crack as doing some work on it.
There is so much wrong i doubt i can fix it all but it should look much better with what i plan to do.The wheels will need to be made from scratch plus many of the panels and vents need remaking i have been working on the rear side vents at the moment as the existing ones are just cut recess shapes.
It will be along project but hopefully be fun i love the batmobile :)
here are the auction pics:
$_57 (9).JPG$_57 (6).JPG$_57 (3).JPG$_57.JPG$_57 (7).JPG$_57 (4).JPG$_57 (1).JPG$_57 (8).JPG$_57 (5).JPG$_57 (2).JPG

heres the WIP doesnt look much but its already taken a few hours lol
DSC_0454.JPGDSC_0453.JPGDSC_0455.JPG

You will need to use only photos of the filming cars, I see photos of replicas there. Before you start working on it, be sure you understand the difference so that you can get the most accurate possible result.

ahhh right it does get a little confusing i basically trolled google for whatever was out there if you can advise it would be helpful thanks

You will need to use only photos of the filming cars, I see photos of replicas there. Before you start working on it, be sure you understand the difference so that you can get the most accurate possible result.

I've got the same type of casting, funnily enough I had just sanded mine tonight to get it ready for paint.

What sort of look are you going for with this model, really accurate to the full size cars I'm guessing?

Hi i want to add some of the missing details not sure what your casting is like but the one i got has terrible wheels so i am getting some new wheels 3d printed i am making a new central hub.
I am also going to replace the cockpit fit a new vent infront of the canopy and new covers for the guns and sides plus other stuff as i go.
So far i have been working on adding new vents infront of the rear wheels.looking ok so far.
interested to see how yours is coming along?

I've got the same type of casting, funnily enough I had just sanded mine tonight to get it ready for paint.

What sort of look are you going for with this model, really accurate to the full size cars I'm guessing?

Chickslovethecar.com should have a lot of great reference, that's where I found all of mine. The 89 cars are all painted grey now, so that's a pretty easy way of distinguishing between them and the replicas.

My model is still fairly rough, I'll probably update my thread with a few pictures soon.

What sort of paint finish are you thinking of doing on yours?

Hi i got the majority of my reference from there thanks though :) can you post a link to your thred i couldnt find it?
I was going to spray it in matt undercoat then polish it to a deep matt sating finish.

Chickslovethecar.com should have a lot of great reference, that's where I found all of mine. The 89 cars are all painted grey now, so that's a pretty easy way of distinguishing between them and the replicas.

My model is still fairly rough, I'll probably update my thread with a few pictures soon.

What sort of paint finish are you thinking of doing on yours?

My kit was horrendous. It's like a skill testing journey/learning experience.

It was believed that mine was a production made casting, probable reject... I doubt it. It does have certain details that would support the theory though.

It's fibreglass, so it has that going for it.

Is yours just cast resin?

I've got one of these as well.
It looks like none of us got any good wheels with the kit.

- - - Updated - - -

Any news on your 3D printed wheels Judge ?

I wish I knew the lineage of my casting, but part of me doesn't want to know.. because I've still got my hands full, I'd hate to think I'm rebuilding original stuff. It's probably a recast or something.

No good wheels. I'm going to have my set cnc machined out of aluminium, and give them a nice smoke tinted clear finish.

Hi the one i have is aweful needs so much work doing on it i am getting the wheels 3d printed and will hand turn a new hub and cast it i am also just waiting for a load of 3d parts to be printed at shapeways including the vents for the bonnet i was thinking of maybe casting the model if it comes out ok as it will be virtually all my own work by the time its done :)
Capture.PNG

What about the details on the sides in front of the vents ?
I'm dreading getting to that point and having to scratch build them and trying to get them both the same. I suppose if they were done with cad could they just be flipped and printed for both sides ?

Hi the one i have is aweful needs so much work doing on it i am getting the wheels 3d printed and will hand turn a new hub and cast it i am also just waiting for a load of 3d parts to be printed at shapeways including the vents for the bonnet i was thinking of maybe casting the model if it comes out ok as it will be virtually all my own work by the time its done :)
View attachment 480424

Would you be interested in making me a set of these vents? They look good, they do need to be slightly curved when you install them.

What other parts are you making?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back