Batman theme for upcoming comic con

cborchardt82

Well, this is my first time starting a thread so here goes! I always make costumes for my kids on Halloween and this is the first year Im dressing all of them up for Comic con. I have finished making my 10 year old son's costume for the riddler (minus the cane, I just finished his shoes finally) and my Daughters poison Ivy costume, though I now have to redo her shoes because her feet have grown a half inch since the end of December!! I am still working on my 4 year son's bane costume (just the weathering and touching up mask with paint its all made) and my 12 year old sons Dark knight Batman costume. (Fun foam, yippee) and then my older 14 year old sons Dark knight Joker costume. (just finishing the trench) I am alsooo making my husband a Bane costume and myself a Harley Quinn's Revenge Arkham city costume. The comic is in the middle of May at Motor City Comic Con.

EDIT: Finally finished! Thanks everyone! I got it done 4 hours before comic con and we had a blast!!

DSCF0174.JPGDSCF0182.JPGDSCF0185.JPGDSCF0186.JPGDSCF0187.JPGDSCF0189.JPGDSCF0199.JPGDSCF0204.JPG

Last edited:
Cool. I will also be at MCCC on Saturday, not sure what costume I'll be dressing in, but most likely a Batman themed one. Maybe I'll see you guys. Good luck with the build :)

Well, worked on them a bit more. Cant afford the pattern for the joker shirt so I dyed it a similar color that I thought looked nice. I have to still make the gauntlets for batman, boots and finish the neck and headpiece, and paint belt. Also finish the carbon fibre detail. I have most of my 4 year olds bane costume done, except I do need to finish up the painting on his mask a little bit. I started making the riddler cane out of a wood rod , tape and paper machet. It seems to be working out. Ill add more pics as I update!

Last edited:
This is awesome, I've been wanting to make a Dark Knight costume for the longest, how do you make your designs? With a reference? I find it funny your kids are villains.

Thanks so much! I just sketchout the shapes (it was like making a puzzle) using photos from the gallery and internet for reference on construction paper till it looked right for one side and cut them out. It helped to lay it on the top and bottom as i did made them. I cut them out then double checked they were the right size by laying them on my sons pants and top again and made sure they were the right size. When they were too small id lay it on another piece of paper and sketch out how much bigger i needed. If too big, just trimmed each. Then id trace them on fun foam, flip my shape and retrace for the other side of the costume for uniformity. It gets easier with time then soon it flies and its nice for custom sizes without wasting foam. :) id tape them on till i was ready to glue to avoid mixing them up. i used two base layer thermals i got at menards (about $9 total, under armor type) and made sure they fit snug. I tore apart a hockey pad set, cut what i needed, then hot glued fun foam :) , the chest piece and cape slide over and are secured with elastic velcro straps. His cape is a salon haircut shroud. i got the fun foam method from here The Dark Knight Batsuit and Bane Mask and Costume and tweaked it a little. Im altering a latex mask for him that is a little off. Lol it was funny, i let them pick and only one of my kids wanted to be a goodguy :)

Love the Bane boots. How'd you do the straps on them?

Lol, i bought ugly tan suede pants on ebay, and cut out paper templates to match his boot straps using reference photos and testing them on the boot.. I made sure it would fit right with the buckle by taping the template on the boot, and gently pulling it tight, and similating the buckle being on by folding my paper around the buckle and buckleing the paper. If it worked I pulled them off and cut off the tape as to not tear my shape.

I traced and cut out double the shapes (so i could sew two exact layers together for thickness) onto the pants and flipped the template and did it again for the other boot. I took diluted darker brown acylic paint and watered it down and sponged it on one of each of the top pieces (not the second layer), to make it more raggedy. When it dried i used a wire brush to rough them up. I took each matching piece and sprayed fabric adhesive on top of each bottom layer then laid the painted layer on top. I then hand sewed the two matching layers to eachother using tan thread. I sewed around each piece to match banes boot stitching then just hotglued them on, so they look stitched on but arent. I sewd and attached the buckles after that. Hope it isnt too confusing. :wacko

Update:

Well, I finished my belt for Harley Quinn's revenge and the bra that will be peeking from under the shirt :$ I didn't cover it completely because it'd be a waste of time and you only see the top! Im almost finished with my gloves and arm wraps, just working on the bracelets that connect the two. The red glove looks just like the belt, but the flash detorted the detail :p

Neat! :)
Nice to see something a whole family can get in on.

Thanks!

UPDATE:

well, finished Harley's gun from Harley's revenge. It's not exact as Comic con is May 16th and Im running out of time! But it cost me $2 to make by buying some jumbo ball shooting guns from dollar tree and cutting them and gluing them to make a larger gun. Then slapped on the paint. I think it worked out pretty good.
I also had time to finish up the veil, it clips on using extension snap clips. Also finished the choker/collar.
Still have so much to finish but im trying ;)

UPDATE:

Alright, made a few more adjustments. Have to still repaint tubes on his mask and shorten one on the side. But he is the most adorable super villain ever :) He wanted me to shave his head but I think I'll wait until right before.

Still need to add buttons to his coat and finish stitching the knee pads on all the way. Need to also cut the cord for his vest so it's even. :D

Only a month left, super stressed!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back