Batman the Animated series stuff (pics added)

agliarept

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So im getting rather reminiscent of the old series and bought one of the toy batmobiles to start converting into a light up R/C with lights. But i was thinking, the toys at the time were never great aside from the cool maquettes the WB store had. Has anyone here ever sculpted anything off of the animated show?

I've always loved that original series and I think as time has passed, there's never been an great btas action figure or bust of any kind. am i wrong?

Last edited:
Re: Batman the Animates series stuff

So im getting rather reminiscent of the old series and bought one of the toy batmobiles to start converting into a light up R/C with lights. But i was thinking, the toys at the time were never great aside from the cool maquettes the WB store had. Has anyone here ever sculpted anything off of the animated show?

I've always loved that original series and I think as time has passed, there's never been an great btas action figure or bust of any kind. am i wrong?

Huh? There is a full series of the BTAS action figs, all look great, IMO.

Batman: The Animated Series Figure Archive

Do you have the art book? If not, I highly recommend that you get it.

Hi thanks for the link!

I guess i was being somewhat vague with what I meant. I was trying to ask if anyone here has seen any custom work/toys/statues based off of the BTAS show. I've only ever seen 1 garage kit of Bats but it was in a comic con and was rather small.

with the original toys, the sculpts were good but they were so small and barely no articulation that left a lot to be desired for me. I guess I see a lot of toys now that are so far advanced that I wish there could be a new line of updates products for BTAS collectors.

Big BTAS fan. There has been quite a few custom statues and such.

This guys work is fantastic.

CorySmithArt.com - Batman: The Animated Series Custom Maquettes

Custom Catwoman-
attachment.php

Custom Gotham Girls Statue-
gg.jpg

Nick

I remember hearing about Cory's art a year or so ago. I went as far as reaching out to him, love his stuff, just never got a reply back. Does anyone know if he is still taking custom commissions? I'd love a gray ghost maquette.

I use to have the regular smaller maquette from WB but this is by far one of favorite things. signed by Kevin Conroy..

2d8lz7c.jpg

Re: Batman the Animated series stuff

That grapple statue is one of my favorite iterations of the Animated Batman. Really nails the feel of the characters design.

Nick

I love these statues. The Bruce Timm era was the best for DC animation from BTAS all the way through Justice league.

Peltzproductions' stuff is really nice. Then again he got into CMU for a college so it better make you the best for what it costs (most expensive in Pittsburgh). My only complaint about the BTAS action figures was that they were basically statues because you only had the most basic of articulation to them (head, hips, shoulders). Otherwise they looked pretty spot on and you can still find them for sale in stores.

Here is the latest piece of Nostalgia that I just received. It's a one of a kind commission of Batman's Grappling gun from the first Animated Series. It is the most accurate representation from the original show and a beautiful heavy replica. I just got this and its so awesome i wanted to share with you all.

hopefully more of you will post up your BTAS collection. :)

30ldmrs.jpg

Oh, thats awesome! Looks pretty humongous (sp?) though. How big is that thing?

thanks! It looks huge cause of my camera but its only 8 1/2 half inches. its sturdy and i couldn't have asked for a better job. Im going to think now of any other BTAS related props i would want lol. Who else has cool BTAS stuff? i wanna see some more photos :)

16ht82h.jpg

I've got pretty much all the Batman: The Animated Series official maquettes from WB Studios and DC Direct as well as the Superman: TAS maquettes and the Fleischer-style Superman maquettes.

Very, very nice stuff! I actually prefer this style to the 'mainstream' art sculpts that are usually based on guys like Jim Lee, Alex Ross, and so on.

As far as favorite Batman maquettes, I'd say I prefer the DC Direct Batman from the 1992-1995 Batman:TAS the best. The problem I have with the later 1997-1999 series is that designs stopped being mostly Bruce Timm-inspired to Glen Murakami and Shane Glines designs... I just didn't like those redesigns that much (although I loved seeing Batgirl back in her original, far sexier black bodysuit costume!) and the emphasis on black and white didn't help, either. The Joker from the second production episode batch was also fairly weak lacking real eyes (they were just 'dots'!) and his red lips. Way, way better Joker design for Justice League.

As for later Batman series, no question that I hated The Batman. Didn't get maquettes from that series, either!

But that said, don't downgrade The Brave & The Bold series currently airing on Cartoon Network (or will be once they have enough episodes 'in the can' to finish the series' run). It's a valid interpretation of Batman --- based on my favorite Batman artist's designs, Dick Sprang, with a smattering of late 1950s/early 1960s DC design trends -- and features a lot of great interpretations of characters that wouldn't have had a chance to be animated if not for this show! I'd not only like the Dick Sprang-style Batman but also maquettes based on The Flashes, Plastic Man, the Green Lanterns, JSA members, and The Question!

The Justice League maquette was far too short. Would have loved Dr. Fate, Supergirl, and The Question statues, too...

completely forgot to post this as well. From one of my favorite episode in Batman animated history. "Beware the Gray Ghost".

I have to set this up with my signed Adam West GG picture and my custom Gray Ghost poster. here's a pic.

4g5kb5.jpg

a recreated a fictional poster seen briefly in the episode that Batman had in his collection room. Here it is linked from deviant account.

the_grey_ghost___batman_anim_by_agliarept-d2eppnx.jpg

Batman: TAS was truly the best modern interpretation of Batman I've seen and read as well as one of the best action/adventure animated produced anywhere. It's also a very intelligent and sensitive series without resorting to the hyperbole and excessive violence in the live-action movies produced in the 1990s. I also liked that it DIDN'T turn Batman into James Bond like the Nolan movies did.

The Brave and The Bold which is a distinctly different interpretation of Batman is also very good. It unfortunately gets treated like a red-headed stepchild by Cartoon Network. It's not more than 2/3 through its original run and frequently gets taken off schedule by CN until new episodes appear. CN doesn't even do regular reruns of the finished episodes anymore!

If you're a fan of the Golden Age and early Silver Age Batman (not the silly stuff -- the good stories done in the 1940s and early 1950s before Batman became a sci-fi comic), The Brave and The Bold is the closest you're ever going to get to seeing how a Batman animated series would have looked in the 1940s. Besides that, what keeps me interested in the show are all the goofy heroes that never got the spotlight before. I love what they've done with Plastic Man, the Freedom Fighters, the Doom Patrol, the JSA, and other characters that just haven't been presented well before in animation. The main producer behind this show is the true heir to Bruce Timm whose output is mostly hit-and-miss now on those direct-to-video animated movies.

It's a shame but honestly The Brave and The Bold has been better than most of those animated movies....

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back