Batman Returns CD "Bat" Player - CD Player Found

agliarept

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Howdy,

I don't why, but I've always loved the "Bat" branded CD player used in Batman Returns to "Scratch" the CD of the penguins voice. I honestly couldn't say why exactly, but it's stuck with me since seeing it in theaters.

Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 11.40.01 AM.png

Now I've started the painstaking task to identify the base CD player utilized for the shot. After going through hundreds of cd players, the closest match i've come across are the Sony (close but not the exact model):

Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 11.40.25 AM copy.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 11.40.37 AM.png

1. D-T3
  2. D-10
  3. D-100
  4. D-15
Based on the button layout i'm assuming it's a Sony discman (closest is the D-T3)

919vintagesony.open.jpg

Any one ever come across the right model? or seen it the prop in person?

After a lot of random cd player searches, I finally found the one utilized for the Batman Returns player. Matched every part of the player and even the laser diode/mount holes match up exactly.

1991 Emerson AD2525 Compact Disk Player (Same year the film was getting made):

s-l1600.jpg

download (1).png

Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 11.40.37 AM.png

Just ordered one and going to replicate this soon.

Wonder if the lid was just trimmed and repainted or if another lid was used to replace it.

I can finally rest now lol.

I'd guess the lid was just cut and painted. Then the logo was glued on. In the older movies the props were made as cheap and fast as possible. For a gag like this I don't see them putting a lot of time in it (especially with the 10 seconds of screen time it got).

Really awesome find!! Was it really expensive because it's vintage, or really cheap because it's old? You never know...

Got lucky and only paid about $18 for this one. For some reason i'm having a hard time finding a good vector of the bat symbol they used (it's different than the chest emblem). But that's a problem for after I trim and paint the player.

stay tuned!

agliarept - I took a quick pass on a vector bat symbol - let me know what you think and I'm happy to adjust and/or send it to you for editing, just let me know. Looking at the screen shot, the bottom scalps are asymmetrical and appear hand cut. Mine is symmetrical, but if you want the symbol more want screen accurate I can change it.

1664281312436.png

agliarept - I took a quick pass on a vector bat symbol - let me know what you think and I'm happy to adjust and/or send it to you for editing, just let me know. Looking at the screen shot, the bottom scalps are asymmetrical and appear hand cut. Mine is symmetrical, but if you want the symbol more want screen accurate I can change it.

View attachment 1620470

Wow thanks a lot for putting in your time to create this! It's super appreciated!!!

Once the CD player's done, i'm going to try using this to either make a decal or 3d print this bat disc on top of the gold/bronze oval. From the image, it looks like the bat symbol's raised a bit?

I agree - it does appear to be raised, or cut from a sheet of metal, etc. Let me know if you need anything else, re: the bat symbol.

Fresh from the post. Got them working and they sound pretty great.

I'm gonna start the measuring and templating process before i commit to any cuts on these. I wanna be 100% sure of how i'm going to dissemble and prep these.

Photo Oct 04 2022, 10 06 33 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Photo Oct 04 2022, 10 06 43 PM.jpg
    Photo Oct 04 2022, 10 06 43 PM.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 66
  • Photo Oct 04 2022, 10 06 52 PM.jpg
    Photo Oct 04 2022, 10 06 52 PM.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 65

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back