'Barry' The Shark. Custom Mask.

elro

Hey Guys!

This is a commission I received recently, it is a custom shark head mask for use in a photoshoot by a music producer friend of mine. He plans to change his name to 'Proper Shark', so this will be the image people will see. I have made it so that there will be eye's he can see through, but he most likely will be performing without the head - and possibly having someone else wear it on stage / or at times himself wearing it.

He more or less said - Make a shark head! so this was mostly tackled by having 10 different reference images of different sharks / cartoons etc. and forming the piece as it came to me.

The shark has been nicknamed 'Barry' after a conversation with a workmate. Dont know why that name came up, it just did... Barry it is though!

--------------

Typical sculpting process - Block it out, refine, adjust parts, refine, etc.

Was also my first plaster mold. Was nervous as hell tackling the mold, and took several hours to do. I had watched the Mark Alfrey mold video (done by Pedro Valdez), as well as Jordu Schells half mask video - Literally, over 10 times each (Id rather watch videos like this than normal TV, Love them! xD). Hats off to Pedro Valdez though, that guy does incredibly beautiful molds!!!

Well here is my work, pictures speak for themselves:

Y6WaMoWR

F7AR60e2

r9f949vG

Hl5xbZCP

ioh2Hfjd

1PajNHTq

g77b3zgc

BEqkUQ8r

oYaz7DLo

nyJYHQwp

Dcl4j1RY

HNq7FUMl

I found an old 'election sign' , I cant remember the name of the material, , it has long air pockets in it. Easy to cut, so I made 'frame' for the clay walls to sit so I didnt have to waste too much clay.
9BfgWQKg

srCKqQh1

YGCOCEos

uDAM4loI

Oh, this was a fun one... I was too eager and applied pertoleum jelly before I had built the wall around it... Was'nt fun trying to build a clay wall when It would just slide off ><
cDi7RsAd

Used 'Onion bags' that I found for sale for only 50c each :p
kt0BLOvk

And boom, ready to strap up and pour - I did a surface check, and had to fill a few holes where air had created a void on the surface in 2 areas. These were caused due to inexperience, I know what to do next time though ;) Good thing this wasnt textured and just smoothed so patching it was easy.
Ra1NOM0M

So, im getting a 20L bucket of latex soon, so ill be making a few casts of the head - I do have permission to sell copies of it (which ill paint differently, zombified for eg.)

Ive only charged the guy $80 on this as I know him well, and I really wanted to make this.

In terms of selling copies, what would be a good price to charge?\

But yeah, painting pics will be up soon. Looking forward to airbrushing this :p
Thanks for looking at this thread guys! :)

Have just poured the first lot of latex :) :) :) MY FIRST SOLO LATEX CASTING :p Very excited/nervous/anxious right now. Hoping all goes well!!! :D

Last edited:
OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now sitting at a comfortable 95 % complete, (All thats left is heat forming the eye panels, and airbrushing some dark in the lower areas).

Pull came out great, with minor flashing. There were some thin areas on the mask, so i patched them from the inside with some latex and a hairdryer.

Last night I decided to lay down a base coat of the paint, and ended up doing most of it (3.30 am bedtime ><)

After removal from the mold:
fWEgzfN4

Patching the thin areas:
WqsJqtw7

Some painting :
jAj4QZeL

Reading Barry and shark. Was i the only one that was thinking of jetpack joyride? Would make a nice start for the shark jetpack.
Loving the details on this.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back