Bare-Metal Foil

MTCOOLJ

Hi there guys, I don't get into building/finishing models much but I do have a project I want to start working on in the near future that pertains to a model finishing product (Bare-metal foil)

Has anyone used this on their plastic models and if so how hard is it to apply? The company that manufacturers it is 15 minutes away from my in-laws and I was thinking about picking some of it up for my project.

The project is a little customization on some action figures I collect. The figures are the series 5 Iron man that was scrapped back in the mid to late 90's. The process for giving the de-attachable armor a chrome colored look was metal-vaccumizing. Seeing as that is expensive as hell, I figured I'd pick up some of this model adhesive foil and apply it to the parts that need it.

My question to all of you is, can the bare metal foil be painted with a thin coat of paint to give it a brilliant chrome color polish? Any answers would be appreciated, I'm planning on buying it Easter weekend.

Thank you!!

There are two types of Bare Metal Foil chrome sheets. The ultra shiny and the more dimmed chrome look. The ultra shiny always makes small scale look plasticy, but you could buy a set of each type and compare on the models. Depending on how many shapes and contours there are on the various body parts, Bare Metal Foil should be relatively possible to apply and make it look good. You just need a new scalpel blade when cutting it as you don't want rips or tears.

You can paint on top of bare metal foil.

Sweet thank you so much, say do I have to rough it up a little for the paint to stick better or should it not matter as long as im putting on a very thin layer? and some of my pieces have a few angles and contours here and there whats the best tool to get the foil to form around those angles and edges?

I'm not sure what you mean by expensive as hell. There are a few chrome plating outfits out there that cater to model builders and customizers. I was able to get an HO slot car body vacuum metallized for about $7. Gold plating was double that. Chrometechusa.com. The guy is great, just contact him. I have also heard about mmmetalizing.com. Never used them, but others have mentioned them. Probably worth checking out. My Chrometech pieces came back as good as I sent them. I.e., if there were surface flaws= they showed up. No flaws= perfect mirror surface.

Sweet thank you so much, say do I have to rough it up a little for the paint to stick better or should it not matter as long as im putting on a very thin layer? and some of my pieces have a few angles and contours here and there whats the best tool to get the foil to form around those angles and edges?
No, whatever you do, do not rough it up. A smart way to get paint to stick is to first mist it on if you are using an airbrush, or by doing a wash, if using a paint brush.

Cotton swabs - either store bought, or custom, could be used, but I think there are soft rubber tools you can buy in arts and crafts stores that could work too. Just be careful not to bend or scratch the Bare Metal Foil - so go gently with it.

I'm not sure what you mean by expensive as hell. There are a few chrome plating outfits out there that cater to model builders and customizers. I was able to get an HO slot car body vacuum metallized for about $7. Gold plating was double that. Chrometechusa.com. The guy is great, just contact him. I have also heard about mmmetalizing.com. Never used them, but others have mentioned them. Probably worth checking out. My Chrometech pieces came back as good as I sent them. I.e., if there were surface flaws= they showed up. No flaws= perfect mirror surface.
WOW, that's cheap. Wonder what they'll charge for something as large as a sixth scale figure.

Thanks Morris, I'll have to check em out, all I have is about 3 figures' accessories to have metallized, I see in your picture you have a straight chrome polish and a gold polish as well... do they cover that option or is that something you finished yourself? I know of a company down by Detroit that does the process but I'm pretty sure they stay away from small minimal pieces for small projects :\

No, whatever you do, do not rough it up. A smart way to get paint to stick is to first mist it on if you are using an airbrush, or by doing a wash, if using a paint brush.

Cotton swabs - either store bought, or custom, could be used, but I think there are soft rubber tools you can buy in arts and crafts stores that could work too. Just be careful not to bend or scratch the Bare Metal Foil - so go gently with it.

I'll have to try that Garlic, I have other uses for the foil as well, not just on my figures, thanks for the advice :)

Ah new to the whole thing as well but would a nice clear coat be recommended?

I don't think clear coating is necessary, but it will certainly protect it from scratches. The trick is always to mist it on first and letting that dry before doing the final sealing layer. It should probably be gloss clear coat as matt or even semi-gloss clear coat might diminish the shine.

Hey Garlic any suggestions on pain as well? I don't want something too thick thats going to take away from the high polished look. I'm looking for something along the lines of the two pictures included, hope you can help. Thanks

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back