Bandai release schedule

Plus the cockpit interior (deeper) is already ESB style, perhaps different characters, like Lando & Nien Nunb etc

J

Last edited:
Hi to all.
Do you think that both Revell's announced Mandalorian kits for 2021 will be Bandai reboxings or just click&play toys?

Hi to all.
Do you think that both Revell's announced Mandalorian kits for 2021 will be Bandai reboxings or just click&play toys?
I don't think Bandai is involved in this in any way. Since the new foldable TIE Fighter is in same scale and more or less same price as the already released regular one in 1/65 scale, i expect it's a click kit again, but realized with some better details as the smaller TIE kits by Revell. If you got a chance to check that kit, you should get an impression about what you can expect. The kit is pretty okay in size and also detail (even if its not in league with Bandai).

The Razor chest got a higher price for a toy (around 50€ in europe pre-order currently), so I hope for a good medium size. 1-72 doesnt say anything about size since its a Revell kit, who are bit off-scale often if you ask me.
But since Revell puts a lot of detail in kits they re-release from time to time (like airplanes and military vehicle), I understand they don't spend to much time in realizing kits for short-term trending topics like Mandalorian or Star Wars in general. Hope they prove me wrong and put all their effort in the kit's details instead of kiddy sound and light modules.

But I'm very happy to get any new stuff at all instead of another X-Wing (Bandai, did you get that! But big thanks for all your releases so far ;) )

The key here is that this is a pricey kit and likely not a huge profit leader for Bandai.
I mean the first run sold through and, I'm pretty sure, the second. I would figure the first run was numbered such that if all sold they'd at least break even, so anything after that run would be just printing money. They know a 1:72 Falcon will sell. They probably suspect interest in the ANH version has likely been sated enough another run of those would be more dicey prospect. There are enough out there on eBay, Amazon, and e-tail "shelves" to satisfy remaining demand. I've held off in hopes of an ESB version, as I know there are others who have done the same, or would want both versions. With the new lower-front piece, revised lower-back piece (they need the downlight recesses), new forward-P/S gear and boxes, and new lower-forward maintenance pits... and everything else a re-pop, even a single run the size of the first ANH Falcon's would turn a profit.
Again, a huge kit like the PG Falcon is a COMPLETELY different dynamic for companies than shelf kits. A successful run of one is not measured to the same standard as a successful run of the other.

I would love to see more options released for the Falcon at that scale, just as I'd like to see other larger scale kits from Bandai (a Bandai take on a Blockade Runner around the 2 foot range would be a dream come true), but runs at these sizes are NOT as easy for these companies as we'd like to believe they are. It's not just about being able to produce the kit, but how to market them (given that most hobby stores won't be putting in large orders for these kits because they simply don't have the shelf / storage space for them).

The point is, unless Bandai comes out with their numbers, we have no way to really know how profitable the PG Falcon experiment has been for them. It probably did make money for them, but was it profitable *enough?*

I would love to have some kind of definitive announcement of their SW plans going forward... but right now the only thing we know for sure is that even before COVID, the only thing they've been doing is reissuing existing smaller kits as variations (orange sequel trilogy X-wings, etc.), with no news of brand new properties in the SW line. Does this mean all is not happy between Bandai and Disney? Or that the line hasn't been as big a moneymaker as Bandai hoped? I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

The key here is that this is a pricey kit and likely not a huge profit leader for Bandai.

Again, a huge kit like the PG Falcon is a COMPLETELY different dynamic for companies than shelf kits. A successful run of one is not measured to the same standard as a successful run of the other.

I would love to see more options released for the Falcon at that scale, just as I'd like to see other larger scale kits from Bandai (a Bandai take on a Blockade Runner around the 2 foot range would be a dream come true), but runs at these sizes are NOT as easy for these companies as we'd like to believe they are. It's not just about being able to produce the kit, but how to market them (given that most hobby stores won't be putting in large orders for these kits because they simply don't have the shelf / storage space for them).

The point is, unless Bandai comes out with their numbers, we have no way to really know how profitable the PG Falcon experiment has been for them. It probably did make money for them, but was it profitable *enough?*

I would love to have some kind of definitive announcement of their SW plans going forward... but right now the only thing we know for sure is that even before COVID, the only thing they've been doing is reissuing existing smaller kits as variations (orange sequel trilogy X-wings, etc.), with no news of brand new properties in the SW line. Does this mean all is not happy between Bandai and Disney? Or that the line hasn't been as big a moneymaker as Bandai hoped? I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Is there any chance that the PG Falcon will be reissued?

Bandai's 1:48 motorized X-wing was one of their earlier Star Wars products. And I bet it didn't sell as well as they hoped, or else we might see more larger-scale kits out there...

I doubt it. They'd have to do an entirely new kit to match the ESB Falcon. They might be able to get away doing a kit of the ANH model that was modified with more landing gear for Jedi and the Sequel Trilogy, though. But it would be a compromise at best, and people would freak that it's not actually "PERFECT Grade," especially for 400 bucks plus.

They'd just need to change the front lower half dome & have new pits & landing gear boxes....change the mandible tips with ones with headlight holes...(theres already channels inside the Mandibles for headlight LED's & cables)....& place various downlighter squares around the lower hull

Dead easy

J
You're both giving them waaaay to much credit. "Perfect Grade" isn't really any "seal of quality", it's just their line of the biggest and most gimmicky kits. It can cost 400 bucks, but you know what? Their PG Phenex gundam cost almost 600$, yet they still didn't give a crap and leave gate marks in a really visible places, that are impossible to remove without ruining it's electroplated golden finish (the main selling point of the kit). I can clearly see them replacing only mandible tips with front half of the dome and calling it a day.

also, in the last years they heavily focused on their "premium bandai" line, which is basically limited run trough their own webshop, that clearly tries to capitalise on FOMO. They put there both demanded and very niche stuff, so I guess that size and price isn't really a problem. It's rather poor reception of the sequels and the fact that they can use the same limited resources to push another gundam, dinosaur or new anime collaboration, that will generate larger profit.

I think it would have been a different story if they sold it without the electronics,...the finemolds 1/48 X-Wing sold well

J
This, I agree with. I bought the kit because I wanted the Bandai quality at that scale.

But ultimately, I have to wonder just who that kit is meant to be for? An X-wing at that scale is likely going to appeal more to experienced modelers (including those with experience lighting such a kit). But the relatively plug and play simplistic electronics seems more geared for less experienced modelers, for which many of whom the price point and maybe even the size of the kit might be a deterrent.

Who knows? Maybe this is one of those they might consider repurposing as just the kit only - no lighting - if they retain the license and still plan to put out SW stuff... Removing the electronics would also let them reduce the box size and make the kit more retail shelf friendly, too.

You're both giving them waaaay to much credit. "Perfect Grade" isn't really any "seal of quality", it's just their line of the biggest and most gimmicky kits. I can clearly see them replacing only mandible tips with front half of the dome and calling it a day.
But I think that would sour the modeler who's paying $400 for a "perfect" and "accurate" model. Now that I see that the 5' Falcon was used in Empire, Bandai could very easily say it's based on THAT prop and I'd be fine with that.
Is there any chance that the PG Falcon will be reissued?
I think it's more likely that we'll get the Episode 5-9 Falcon first. In fact, I'd bet on a Force Awakens version next, with the square radar dish. And then, in a couple years, the Empire/Jedi/Rise of Skywalker version.

I think it's more likely that we'll get the Episode 5-9 Falcon first. In fact, I'd bet on a Force Awakens version next, with the square radar dish. And then, in a couple years, the Empire/Jedi/Rise of Skywalker version.
About a year ago. I was in a panic because I wanted to get one, but didn't have the money at the time...everyone (here, in fact, in this thread) told me to chill out and that there was no way the PG falcon would go out of production...I have the money now...******* ******** man. I could have bought it on credit, but I was trying to be a goodboy and wait until I had the money saved. Serves me right.

Last edited:
About a year ago. I was in a panic because I wanted to get one, but didn't have the money at the time...everyone (here, in fact, in this thread) told me to chill out and that there was no way the PG falcon would go out of production...I have the money now...******* ******** man. I could have bought it on credit, but I was trying to be a goodboy and wait until I had the money saved. Serves me right.

You could try pre-ordering here. You don't pay until it comes in and you can cancel at any time if you find one sooner but at least you will get on a list
I had the Clone Trooper and Grievous on Pre-order for months rather than paying scalper prices and they came through. Took 6 months for the Clone Trooper but that was also during a pandemic
It is also a flat $4 shipping (at least anywhere in the US)

But I think that would sour the modeler who's paying $400 for a "perfect" and "accurate" model. Now that I see that the 5' Falcon was used in Empire, Bandai could very easily say it's based on THAT prop and I'd be fine with that.
Do you really think they would care? They just released "Perfect Grade Unleashed" for original Gundam, basically something even better than regular perfect grade... and yet they cheapen out on waterslide decals, giving you only a sticker sheet. In a model for ~270$ that was sold out in less than 10 minutes.

Yeah, their models are amazing, but they are also known for cutting corners in a very weird places (especially if the kit is just a retool).

Depending where you live, I can give you a link for a quite nice offer. But if that would be too expensive for you to import, bandai is still doing p-bandai runs of Falcon for japan from time to time, so there's chance that someone imports one to your country.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back