Bandai release schedule

This is my Sullest stormtrooper from Star Wars Battlefront 2. Just need to add some finishing touches like straps for the leg guards and a small tube to connect to the backpack. I used magnetics to hold the backpack on and glue for the regulator and leg guards. All weathering was done with Tamiya products, the maker of the Sullest stormtrooper kit is SR3D Customs they are SLA printed if memory serves me correctly. I'm not sure if he still offers the kits at this time.
7dd1eb69e072d4aafd7b956e117adf04.jpg
749c3cdb23d12af82a7245f70e29070a.jpg
d4f6b5f4365ea772f9806e37d37fa357.jpg
548cf6c2c5f214dbffb808651822d404.jpg
90a2568f9362364e378db86a0fd29266.jpg
7f16338a2e276ebedb0286d79177e94a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks! Yeah, R2's fully painted. You don't really get a sense of the metallics in that pic. I have a spare that I keep meaning to do as R2-Q5!

Do you happen to remember what white paint you used? I am thinking of ordering the R2/BB-8 kit and would like to paint R2's body this time around.
On my first build I painted the blue/silver parts, but wasn't sure what white to use.
Again, yours looks really good.
Thanks.

R2 should be painted in plain gloss white. The off-white tonage comes from the weathering.
You can see it in Ep I-III when he's always freshly outa the droid-wash on Coruscant.

Do you happen to remember what white paint you used? I am thinking of ordering the R2/BB-8 kit and would like to paint R2's body this time around.
On my first build I painted the blue/silver parts, but wasn't sure what white to use.
Again, yours looks really good.
Thanks.

Thanks again! It is indeed just gloss white. He's weathered with pastel chalks. The most orange/brown is round his feet with a lot of his weathering more of a grey. A trick I've learned on my Stormtroopers is to dab on a little uneven clearcoat to create a patina, underneath the rest of the weathering... That would likely work here too, but it's something that needs a little practice to get it where you want it, I think.

Last edited:
So is it the standard version with Nien Numb ?

Does this special version with added greeblies etc also have Nien ? I have a feeling that came with a different pilot.

Hope someone can set me straight.

So is it the standard version with Nien Numb ?

Does this special version with added greeblies etc also have Nien ? I have a feeling that came with a different pilot.

Hope someone can set me straight.

Standard edition: Nien Numb, no human pilot
SDCC edition: Human pilot, no Nein Numb

based on this blurb from the translation

"Actually, this reference exhibition was the same as the specification of "1/72 B Wing Star Fighter[Limited Edition]" which will be released in new products of Premium Bandai this time"

As far as I can tell, this is the exact same contents and pilot as the SDCC release (human pilot, extra details on two areas to show open panel details, plus lighting kit included and markings for the "blue" one instead of the "orange dots" one)

The difference is that this is now an official Premium Bandai release.

As such, I am not sure if BlueFin will be able to import them so you will not see them at local retailers like Hobby Lobby etc...

However I see it listed for sale at places like Gundam USA store that able to sell P-Bandai stuff outside Japan https://www.usagundamstore.com/coll...star-wars-bandai-star-wars-1-72-plastic-model

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again! It is indeed just gloss white (Humbrol I think, a UK brand, but nothing special). He's weathered with pastel chalks. The most orange/brown is round his feet with a lot of his weathering more of a grey. A trick I've learned on my Stormtroopers is to dab on a little uneven clearcoat to create a patina, underneath the rest of the weathering... That would likely work here too, but it's something that needs a little practice to get it where you want it, I think.

Thanks, Automaton.
Working on Bandai General Grievous at the moment, then starting on R2/BB-8. Guess I'll take the leap and paint the body on R2 as well this time.
Thanks again.

So I'm guessing next will be an ESB Falcon right ? They're going to milk that baby till she's dry.

I wonder if they'll ever get to Slave One ? Would really like to see that in this scale. Not too many more classic OT ships to do in this scale really.

So I'm guessing next will be an ESB Falcon right ? They're going to milk that baby till she's dry.

If I have to make a guess based on Bandai's treatment of parts variants recently, they'd probably release a P-Bandai PG Sequel Trilogy Falcon parts set to convert the Standard Edition into the Falcon seen in TFA/TLJ.

So I had heard about the discrepancy regarding the size of the Bandai B-Wing pilot, but I must say I was still kind of shocked when actually seeing it in person:confused:

The A-wing pilot is clearly oversized for 1/72 while the B-Wing pilot is clearly undersized for 1/72

However, both the A-Wing pilot and the B-Wing pilot look correctly sized for their ships. That would imply that the ships are not truly 1/72 scale

I am sure they are scaled accurately to 1/72 based on whatever the "official numbers" say, but I think those should be taken with a grain of salt since many of it was based on guess work or from the old West End RPG game

It seems like Bandai went with official dimensions, but since they are based on inconsistent sources, they were forced to resize the pilots to actually fit correctly?

Or is it possible Bandai starts with the aim of making a 1/72 model, but then tweaks the scale up or down a bit to better fit the contents in an existing box size?

Based on how accurate they seem to be striving for, I am guessing they went the route of sizing the ships to the numbers, then resizing pilots to make a compromise

After all, I belive part of the problem was that ILM did not necessarily use the correct scale pilots for the intended scale of the original studio models. For example, I believe at one point in an old article someone said the Tie Fighters were built to 1/16 scale, but had 1/24 scale pilots in them? And likewise, the one A-Wing had a large oversized articulated pilot?

I could be wrong, but I guess ILM would not be concerned with the scale of pilot figures for the filming miniatures being accurate as long as they looked good for the shot they needed

It seems like Bandai went with official dimensions, but since they are based on inconsistent sources, they were forced to resize the pilots to actually fit correctly?

To put it simply, yes. Bandai will base their kits on the numbers ILM/Lucasfilm provided, and the existing miniature, with a preference for the latter if available.

Bandai's A-Wing is factually in scale according to the numbers the propmakers/filmmakers provided to them. In the end, all that matters is whether or not you agree with ILM/Lucasfilm that the A-Wing is 9-ish meters.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back