Bandai AT-AT

JediMichael

Master Member
Had this a few months and been wanting to out it together. So today is a good day.
My biggest issue is, to paint it or not to paint, as I feel that's my weakest part of building a model.
Not too far in yet.
20210101_144340.jpg

20210101_145557.jpg

20210101_150259.jpg

20210101_152149.jpg

Oh yeah, this subject needs paint and heavy weathering. I just put a dark grey primer coat on mine and will be doing a top coat of Archive X SP Lettering grey next.

I have a 1983 AT-AT my Mom had gotten at a garage sale about 20 years ago. (Probably for 50 cents) Built it around 2002 and at first didn't paint it. I think I probably painted it a basic grey years later and then needed it for an event and someone else painted it with this terrible spray and I've never tried to fix it. I can get a picture later.

Heres a picture I had made in about January 2007. My parents house. The weathering was all done in photoshop.

house3.jpg

Here it is today with the horrible gritty paint job. You can even see where some of the old yellowed plastic is showing from up underneath.
To make the head move around, you had to use a rubber band hooked between the body and head through the neck.
Really surprised after all these years that the rubber band still has not broke.

20210101_185738.jpg

Little more done. First leg anyways.

20210101_203144.jpg

I like the details on the bottom of the feet. I imagine the filming models didn't have that detail, but I've never seen the bottom to know for sure. Anyone know?
20210101_203212.jpg

Tamiya XF-19 over black primer is a great color choice if you are going to paint it

I agree, it’s pretty close to the ArchiveX SP Lettering Grey I have. I prefer airbrushing Tamiya acrylics rather than Enamels (fumes) but I paid so much for my ArchiveX bottles I’m using it for my AT-AT build.

Tamiya XF-19 over black primer is a great color choice if you are going to paint it
I looked into this. I do not have an airbrush and would have to have paint it, although I did see they have a paint retarder thiner to help keep out with brush strokes. Doing it that way, would I still use black primer? And what type black? I've always used grey in the past.

I looked into this. I do not have an airbrush and would have to have paint it, although I did see they have a paint retarder thiner to help keep out with brush strokes. Doing it that way, would I still use black primer? And what type black? I've always used grey in the past.
I used black since it help create some natural shading in recessed areas when covering with the grey paint

Tamiya is hard to brush paint over large areas. I find it works nicely for small touchups in areas but it is really hard to brush paint smoothly something that big

You would do better hand painting with Vallejo or even better Privateer Press P3 paints and use a larger brush

Something similar to the "Flat" one in this picture
600px-Brushtypes.jpg

Your best bet would be to find a spray paint of a similar color

I did my larger Revell AT-AT with Testors Light Aircraft Grey. Being Testors enamel though it took weeks to fully dry without feeling tacky. It dried to the touch within and hour, but felt slightly sticky when handling it for weeks.

Maybe the Model Master line has something similar

Of course another good alternative is just use Testors Dullcoat on the model, then weather it with some oil washes and pastels and skip painting all together. The Bandai plastic color after all is a very good color to start with

The dull coat will take away the plastic sheen as well as provide a bit of grit for the oils and pastels to cling to

Last edited:
I used black since it help create some natural shading in recessed areas when covering with the grey paint

Tamiya is hard to brush paint over large areas. I find it works nicely for small touchups in areas but it is really hard to brush paint smoothly something that big

You would do better hand painting with Vallejo or even better Privateer Press P3 paints and use a larger brush

View attachment 1407206

I did my larger Revell AT-AT with Testors Light Aircraft Grey. Being Testors enamel though it took weeks to fully dry without feeling tacky. It dried to the touch within and hour, but felt slightly sticky when handling it for weeks.

Of course another good alternative is just use Testors Dullcoat on the model, then weather it with some oil washes and pastels and skip painting all together. The Bandai plastic color after all is a very good color to start with

The dull coat will take away the plastic sheen as well as provide a bit of grit for the oils and pastels to cling to
I was thinking spraying is probably the best. I think probably a dull coat how I'll do it, just need to find a good dull coat.

View attachment 1407206

I like your recomendedations for someone who isn't airbrushing.

In your shoes I'd probably go the light grey rattle can, Tamiya spray can. Than weather with a brush.

Here's a pic of my work in progress from today for inspiration. I'm going heavier on the weathering yet.

PXL_20210103_164004355.jpg
PXL_20210102_160250651.jpg

That is what I did on mine and it turned out pretty good. There is no right or wrong way to weather these unless you are going for a specific instance of a specific model... Just have fun and give it a try. When I first got back into modeling I had not painted anything since I was a kid, and that was a while ago...

If you don't want to paint this one right out of the gate, do what I did and pick up a few very cheap models and just experiment with those. There is a ton of great modelers on youtube showing many, many different weathering techniques.

Also, those legs (at least in my case) were a bit delicate so I would be careful. I ended up gluing mine in place when I made my mini diorama.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back