Bandai 1:72 Perfect Grade Millennium Falcon

Also, does anyone have ideas on how to get decals like this to properly shrink-wrap around raised surfaces like on this part of the model? I tried using Micro Sol, but not even that helped. Any help is appreciated.

20220627_233601.jpg

Can anyone suggest to me how I can possibly acquire replacement decals for this model? I've screwed up SEVERAL decals already, and I feel like I might need to replace them ASAP!

There are some after market decals:

The decals from this guy are usually pretty good and sometimes even better than the originals.

Also, does anyone have ideas on how to get decals like this to properly shrink-wrap around raised surfaces like on this part of the model? I tried using Micro Sol, but not even that helped. Any help is appreciated.

Pressure.
Soak them with Micro Sol and then press them with your finger, cotton swap or make-up sponges over the raised details. Use a needle or sharp tipped knife to make some holes, if there is air trapped under the decal.

As stated above, soak that thing in Micro Sol, and then wait a few minutes and then carefully hit it with a hair dryer. Helps suck the decal down really well.

I find it is much more reactive, like it will do much more damage to the decal if you're not used to it. So it's good to practice with spare decals and spare kits. Within a few seconds or a few minutes, the decal will easily peel apart if you're still messing with it. And since it has a setting component, it will pull into the part and the groove if you leave it alone. Even I get some cracking, but by the time it dries, it usually has pulled back together--or it's weathering, right?

Ventral side panel decals complete. Next up, clearcoats. Overall, the entire model took 4 days full-time to build, and another few weeks on and off on the decals. I got a little lazy on the decals, so it took me longer to do them than the build itself. How long did it take to build the model for you guys, before the painting and decals?

Here's what the underside looks like.

20220709_222051.jpg

Any advice on how to put clearcoat on this? Should I use both Dullcote and Glosscote? Which order? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Ventral side panel decals complete. Next up, clearcoats. Overall, the entire model took 4 days full-time to build, and another few weeks on and off on the decals. I got a little lazy on the decals, so it took me longer to do them than the build itself. How long did it take to build the model for you guys, before the painting and decals?

Here's what the underside looks like.

View attachment 1596508

Any advice on how to put clearcoat on this? Should I use both Dullcote and Glosscote? Which order? Any help would be appreciated.

generally gloss varnish first, apply decals, and an washes/oil weathering etc... then dull with a matte varnish

after dull coating is then when I would do some pastels or mist coats

Be careful on the order. For Tamiya flat coat, you shouldn't put it directly over decals. Gloss coat first.

I didn't read the instructions on the Tamiya flat coat, and it made the decal carrier film stand out badly. :(

I dislike decals. I paint everything unless it's a tiny one with writing or numbers. You're doing a good job with them, though!
I must admit to being jealous. This is THE kit.

How long did the build take for you guys? I was just wondering. To assemble the model, it took me about 4 days full-time.

I just applied two coats of gloss clearcoat on each side of the model. HOWEVER, I did NOT realize that there were dust particles all over the model, and I ended up clearcoating the dust particles permanently anyway. I should've cleaned the model FIRST before clearcoating. Will this be a major problem later on when it comes to weathering the model? Please let me know.

20220724_142425.jpg

I just applied two coats of gloss clearcoat on each side of the model. HOWEVER, I did NOT realize that there were dust particles all over the model, and I ended up clearcoating the dust particles permanently anyway. I should've cleaned the model FIRST before clearcoating. Will this be a major problem later on when it comes to weathering the model? Please let me know.

View attachment 1601159
With a kit this big and expensive I'd remove the clear coat. If you don't, you'll never be completely happy with it. Unless you weather the felgercarb out of it- and I don't know if you want to go that heavy just to cover up all that. Which unfortunately means all the decals will be trashed & you'll have to paint them on. That's why I always paint mine on- decals just suck unless you clear coat them. I never clear coat.

If the dust really bothers you, try wet sanding the model lightly with 1,000 grit sandpaper. Be careful not to sand down into the decals. The decals will appear hazy after sanding. After sanding clear coat the model again. Continue the process of sanding then clear coating until you get the desired results…. This is a process that a lot of modelers use to make the decals look like they are part of the paint. Check on YouTube for a step by step tutorial. Good luck.

If the dust really bothers you, try wet sanding the model lightly with 1,000 grit sandpaper. Be careful not to sand down into the decals. The decals will appear hazy after sanding. After sanding clear coat the model again. Continue the process of sanding then clear coating until you get the desired results…. This is a process that a lot of modelers use to make the decals look like they are part of the paint. Check on YouTube for a step by step tutorial. Good luck.
Yes, this would work! I'd take the easier way out though, myself.:cool:

JV1138,
Do not feel bad, this type of stuff happens to the best, regardless of experience. Think carefully before each corrective action step. Take your time using the above advise from those on this web. You have done a great job on a complex kit. Rework is all part of the game when the unforeseen happens.

I have ACTUALLY decided that the dust particles do NOT bother me all that much, since the weathering will mostly hide it anyway. Attempting to correct the problem like Scudman mentioned sounds easier said than done, and would take a lot more work than I'm willing to put into it. So I decided to put the first round of weathering on the model. Not bad so far. Will do the underside next. Any thoughts on this decision? Should I still try to remove the dust? I'm not that bothered by it, to be honest, since it's not really that noticeable.

20220726_010730.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back