Bandai 1/144 ROS Falcon kit as ESB/ROTJ era Falcon? That's my goal. And I seem to have reached it. Now it needs a few friends in its scale...

Chrisisall

Sr Member
I just ordered this kit from Bandai, and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this basically just the ESB/ROTJ Falcon? Or is it somehow different in ways I can't yet see?
And if it is different, can anyone who has this kit give me a heads up on what I'll need to do to modify it to be the ESB/ROTJ Falcon?
Thanks in advance.
bandai-star-wars-millennium-falcon-star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-1144-scale-plastic-model-kit.jpg

Hi Chrisisall, yep, it’s pretty much accurate to the Empire & Jedi Falcon
The Disney Falcon does have a load of pipe work all around the sidewalks & mandibles, which you could just leave out...snip away a lot of the extra pipe work in the circular pits on the mandibles too
The two service pits either side of the landing gear bays are larger & symetrical,...the real bays were differently shaped from each other

Id say just leaving out the extra pipe work would give this kit a real OT look

John

I think they based it on the CG Falcon made for the episodes 7-9. This one had details/greeblies on both side that matched, while the actual filming model had different details on either side. For the computer-generated scenes, this was easiest, and no one is really gonna notice--except everyone here, I guess. For the episodes 7-9, there is a different radar dish. I think Bandai made that one first and then back-dated the model to Episodes 5-6. Someone correct me if I'm mis-remembering.

Hi Chrisisall, yep, it’s pretty much accurate to the Empire & Jedi Falcon
The Disney Falcon does have a load of pipe work all around the sidewalks & mandibles, which you could just leave out...snip away a lot of the extra pipe work in the circular pits on the mandibles too
The two service pits either side of the landing gear bays are larger & symetrical,...the real bays were differently shaped from each other

Id say just leaving out the extra pipe work would give this kit a real OT look

John
I found your 2015 thread about this. Thanks for it then & now! I think I'll go with the 32" look- it's easier. ;)

Whether the Bandai 1:144 is visually accurate to the OT Falcon depends on how familiar you are with the various versions of the vehicle, and your own particular opinions as to how close you want to get. The 144 kit is based closely on the sequel Falcon design.

Have a look at the link I provided.

Personally I feel the sequel-era Falcon looks completely different from the Original Trilogy version even at 1:144. The sidewall, docking ring, and maintenance pit details are full of extra stuff in the sequel Falcon. However, less nerdy folk shrug and say - they look the same to me!

Which camp you fall into depends on you. :)

Personally I feel the sequel-era Falcon looks completely different from the Original Trilogy version
If you wanna scrutinize, the ESB (32") Falcon looks radically different from the NH (5') version... shapes, curves, mandible distance between... eh? ;)

You can see that Bandai was still using the data that they had got from the Disney Digital Falcon when they made that wee 1/350 version, although they say the one with the added gear boxes is the ESB/RotJ version, its actually The Rise of Skywalker (or sequel Trilogy but with a round dish),...the lower pits are the wrong shape & are symmetrical & all the circular pits on the mandibles are crammed full of pipes

Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 23.43.22.png

This image of the ESB/RotJ Falcon created with passion by Jay Machado (who works at ILM, actually textured the Sequel Trilogy Falcon), you can see the different shaped pits
Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 23.47.20.png

And the real big bird:

Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 23.46.18.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 23.45.42.png

John

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 23.45.51.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 23.45.51.png
    930.8 KB · Views: 73
Now what I need to decide is 32" or 5 footer? The kit seems to resemble the 5 footer in general, but I kind of wanted to make the 32".... either way I'm gonna go to town on the lower wells & buy myself a few headaches along the way. It's what I live for. :lol:
IMG_20210317_153629.jpg

You could just build up new sidewalls and pits. I did so in 3D modelling software and it took foreeeeevvvvverrrrr...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 23.16.24.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 23.16.24.png
    1,020.3 KB · Views: 96
Im with you, there is so many variations on the Falcon that you can overlook discrepancies. I mean even the studio model cockpit wasnt close to the studio cockpit. To me having the paint and finish close was the big thing.
Im looking foward to seeing what you create here, especially in such a small scale.
Cheers,
Josh

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back