Bad plot holes in good movies...

PHArchivist

Master Member
Leave Star Wars out of it...

Was revisiting T2 on Blu the other night. It occured to me that I have never wondered why:

If the T-1000 can solidify its appendages into rigid stabbing weapons, why can it not solidify its body to protect it from bullet impacts (which - per the Director's Cut) do eventually cause it to glitch)?

Not looking for an answer... But was surprised it never crossed my mind.

So...

Just curious what other seemingly big - but overlooked - plot holes exist out there (not just in T2 - in fact, forget about time travel films entirely).

Last edited:
I have one from BTTF

Why is Doc in a hurry to get Marty into the Delorean at the of BTTF to go back to the future? HE HAS A TIME MACHINE!!!!!!

Why cut it so close? Why not give yourself a day or two to prepare?

Speaking of T2, why doesnt the T1000 replicate the face of the cops he imitates? Neither the first one or the biker cop.

And why invest so much into creating 101 Terminator cyborgs, and still make them look like one guy? No need for dogs smelling for infiltrators, if he is big and looks exactly like the other ones before, dont let him in.

Last edited:
The plot to Back to the Future III is base on no gasoline for the Delorean. Yet Doc Brown doesn't think to distill Gasoline from readily available kerosene?

Also, the instant the first Terminator went back in time, Skynet should have won. The humans shouldn't have had any time at all to send Kyle back. (Like City on the Edge of Forever.)

That, or Skynet (and Kyle) would have changed an alternate reality, leaving their own the same. (Star Trek XI.)

Tony Stark should have access to all the files on his work computer at home, why would he have to return to the office to download them? Iron man.

Same for Green Hornet- if He's got the info on a camera or thumb drive, why can't he upload it to the internet on a phone or laptop?

I'm going to break the rule and ask abut Star Wars..just something I thought of the other day..

Luke, Leia, Han and Chewie are in such a panic to get the princess and then get back on the Falcon..and they left the droids to their own devices. The information inside R2 is PRIORITY #1 and they just forget about the droid and let them board the Falcon on their own?! R2 should have been hidden the whole time!! Obviously the Empire let them go so they could be tracked to the Rebel Base...but that doesn't mean they didn't want to protect R2 at all costs!!

Have not seen it, so dont know if its good or not, but in the new Apollo 18, if its found footage, and no one lived after the mission, how did the footage get back to Earth?

I'm going to break the rule and ask abut Star Wars..just something I thought of the other day..

Luke, Leia, Han and Chewie are in such a panic to get the princess and then get back on the Falcon..and they left the droids to their own devices. The information inside R2 is PRIORITY #1 and they just forget about the droid and let them board the Falcon on their own?! R2 should have been hidden the whole time!! Obviously the Empire let them go so they could be tracked to the Rebel Base...but that doesn't mean they didn't want to protect R2 at all costs!!
At this point in the movie (before all the other movies was in the making)
Luke just wanted to Bang the princess, Han just wanted to get the money, Ben just wanted to whoop Vaders butt. C3po just wanted to be alive and not in pieces, Chewy just followed Han around,

I have one from BTTF

Why is Doc in a hurry to get Marty into the Delorean at the of BTTF to go back to the future? HE HAS A TIME MACHINE!!!!!!

Why cut it so close? Why not give yourself a day or two to prepare?
Please tell me you are joking?

Anyway, in The Dark Knight Batman saved Rachel after the joker threw her out a window, leaving the Joker on the top floor with all those rich people. What happened to him? How did he escape with Batman right at the entrance?

Last edited:
Also, the instant the first Terminator went back in time, Skynet should have won. The humans shouldn't have had any time at all to send Kyle back. (Like City on the Edge of Forever.)

That, or Skynet (and Kyle) would have changed an alternate reality, leaving their own the same. (Star Trek XI.)

I pretty much figure that all the movies and TSCC are alternate realities. The fact is that thanks to Kyle being John's dad and T2 establishing that SkyNet's origins are based on the damaged CPU and arm from the first terminator, John and SkyNet are inextricably linked in their destinies. Kyle wasn't even born yet when John was conceived so there's no way in hell John would ever come to be without SkyNet.

Well in that case....

Doc had to send Marty back at this specific moment becuase in the absence of a plutonium pellet he needed the lightning bolt to power the time machine. Since the lightning bolt that destroyed the clock was a well known local event in Marty's time, that was the only example they had of a specific time and location for a lightning strike.

Also they did prepare. For about a week.

Not so much a plot hole as an observation. At the end of Captain America in the Valkyrie plane, why did all of the smaller buzz planes/bombs have the city names written in English when all of the members of Hydra were German? I have yet to see a vintage WWII pic of a B-17 or B-24 with German writing on the bombs in the cradles.

Well in that case....

Doc had to send Marty back at this specific moment becuase in the absence of a plutonium pellet he needed the lightning bolt to power the time machine. Since the lightning bolt that destroyed the clock was a well known local event in Marty's time, that was the only example they had of a specific time and location for a lightning strike.

I think the original poster might have been talking about when he was rushing he and Jennifer into the DeLorean to "do something" about Marty's Kids... the cliffhanger for the next movie.

Well in that case....

He meant the end of the movie, "Something has to be done about your kids!" Why be in such a hurry, he had 30 years :lol

Well in that case....

LOL!!! I see what you mean about my question...

What I meant was, when Doc comes back from the future with the Flying Delorean and grabs Marty and Jennifer. Why the rush?

Alright, I love Batman 1989, but thanks to way too many rewrites, editing and budget, the movie has so many plot holes in it big enough to fly a batwing through.

Jack Napier shoots at Batman in the chemical plant, which Batman deflects (I’m willing to suspend disbelief for this) towards a panel that causes a gauge to explode and send shards of glass into Napier’s cheeks. The extent of the damage is plausible because many gauges measuring pressure would have pressure on them… add the velocity of the bullet and the shrapnel could cause considerable damage. Then of course, there would be the damage of whatever chemicals he fell into getting into those wounds. Apparently, the entire incident caused significant nerve damage.

So he goes to a “doctor” for treatment. Since he can’t go to a real doctor (or he’d be reported and arrested), he goes to an unlicensed doctor with little to work with. The botched surgery causes his rictus grin. The next night (yes, the NEXT NIGHT), we see the doctor remove his bandages to be completely shocked by his appearance (because I suppose the white skin and green hair wasn’t shocking enough). My problem is that there’s no trace of wounds… and what kind of doctor figures you’re healed enough after one day to remove the bandages after plastic surgery? Just one day and he’s healed?

Later in the movie, the Joker interrupts a press conference on television to tell the people of Gotham that he will be in Gotham City Square at midnight to drop millions of dollars in cash. Now, this is a wanted man… a well-known psychotic killer. He’s just told the authorities where he’ll be and when. So when do the police show up? About 20 or 30 minutes after midnight, with a handful of police cars and some spot lights! I realize that GPD is somewhat inept and require the constant assistant of man dressed like a bat to help them… but this sort of incompetence is too much to be believable.

There’s the often mentioned “long gun” that takes out the batwing with one shot.

Of course the other possible plot hole is the Joker’s henchmen in the cathedral. I believe it’s mentioned in the novelization that the men went up the tower to get a better view of the “festival.” However, since this is not mentioned in the movie, it appears to be a plot hole.

Star Wars - Why did George Lucas, who supposively plotted out all these films, make three crappy prequels that have details that don't sync up with the original trilogy?

NOTE: I didn't break the rules. I am well within the rules, since it's about the story's development and not about within the stories themselves.

LOL!!! I see what you mean about my question...

What I meant was, when Doc comes back from the future with the Flying Delorean and grabs Marty and Jennifer. Why the rush?

I think that's just how his character is. He's wound up tight and far from calm. Everything seems like a crisis to him. You can see it when he's explaining the DeLorean on camera; you can see it when he finds out how much energy is required to run the time machine... he jumps around and shouts a lot like he's had too much caffiene... he's very twitchy.

Of course his character seems to have mellowed quite a bit by the end of Part III.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back