Limited Run Back to the Future Hoverboard Run - Screen Accurate Honeycomb Lenticular

ollyhills

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey everyone! So I’m doing a thing; a nice exciting thing. Several nice exciting things in fact— a run of hoverboards

These are hand made prop replicas, with every minutia of effort spent to make them look as screen accurate as humanly possible. This means they won’t be the super clean sanitised looking hoverboards we see from officially licensed reproductions, but super clean and sanitised aren’t words you’ll find anywhere near the real thing.

The boards are 3D printed, with the graphics built upon the very same lenticular holographic material as used for the original screen used props. The experience of handling a prop is as important to me as looking at it, and since hoverboards are obviously supposed to be plastic (and not wood or styrofoam), I decided this melding of the real world and the movie world would be the way to go. On top of that are all the glorious 80s looking stickers and velcro that make this thing really pop.

Anyway, thanks for checking it out guys! My original plan was to do a run of five, but if there’s enough interest then I’ll open it up to more. I’m super proud of this, and I hope fellow Back to the Future collectors feel it’s a worthy addition to all the other great fan made boards out there.

The boards are made to order and the price is £350 plus shipping, which I think seems about the mark based on researching other fan made boards. If anyone has any questions then please don’t hesitate to get in touch!

IMG_6601.jpeg
IMG_0954.jpeg
IMG_0963.jpeg
IMG_0958.jpeg
IMG_0964.jpeg
IMG_0965.jpeg
IMG_0966.jpeg
IMG_0974.jpeg
B8DB354E-56F2-4BBD-AC32-076324746359.jpeg
IMG_6570.jpeg

Last edited:
Isn't the lenticular pattern on the screen used board different?

Attachments

• 343586894_614456420720137_3987033293653777904_n.jpg
    343586894_614456420720137_3987033293653777904_n.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 103
  • 343582583_1286159545445189_3253184377954508229_n.jpg
    343582583_1286159545445189_3253184377954508229_n.jpg
    448.4 KB · Views: 95
No one…? ☹️
I think you need to go more into the details about its construction.
It's not usually as simple as saying it's 3D printed and has the right lenticular and decals applied and then ask L450 for it.
And if I'm not mistaken, most printers on the maker market won't handle a 28" long print in one pass, and it would have to be chopped somewhere and glued together.

Adding details (and better pictures; the pink background has got to go when taking pictures of a pink hoverboard) can help gather the interest you're looking for:
Is the footplate 3D printed, or another material? Is it static, positionable, or free-spinning? What kind of bearing does it use?
Are the bottom plates and brackets removable? Are they printed in those colors, or painted? What type of paint?
Do you have pics of a 'fresh-off-the-printer' board? Is it a one-piece, or a two-piece that's been 'welded' together?
How much does it weigh?

The more work that people can see that goes into the build; when they can see the quality of construction; the more interest a run generates, and the more people are generally willing to pay.

Regards,
McFlyDallas

I think you need to go more into the details about its construction.
It's not usually as simple as saying it's 3D printed and has the right lenticular and decals applied and then ask L450 for it.
And if I'm not mistaken, most printers on the maker market won't handle a 28" long print in one pass, and it would have to be chopped somewhere and glued together.

Adding details (and better pictures; the pink background has got to go when taking pictures of a pink hoverboard) can help gather the interest you're looking for:
Is the footplate 3D printed, or another material? Is it static, positionable, or free-spinning? What kind of bearing does it use?
Are the bottom plates and brackets removable? Are they printed in those colors, or painted? What type of paint?
Do you have pics of a 'fresh-off-the-printer' board? Is it a one-piece, or a two-piece that's been 'welded' together?
How much does it weigh?

The more work that people can see that goes into the build; when they can see the quality of construction; the more interest a run generates, and the more people are generally willing to pay.

Regards,
McFlyDallas
Cheers buddy, appreciate the advice

So it’s resin printed in 3 parts (this initial board was actually four, thanks to a minor technical glitch along the way…), then glued together and the gaps filled with Milliput and sanded. It’s then primed, and slathered in glorious neon pink paint.
296C1F32-123F-4BE3-93E9-D8AFBF07B5E5.jpeg

C665335D-BF44-4B91-AE58-2636F230AE31.jpeg
E1D6ED9F-9E09-43DB-8165-A344D113B5C5.jpeg

556C2DD1-14D1-4440-91B2-9963EFAFA874.jpeg

The footplate is also 3D printed, and does not spin. Many screen used boards are missing the foot plate, and have left behind no evidence that they were ever there. Since the quickest and easiest solution is always the way in the prop world, I figure it must’ve just been stuck there pretty easy (hence them falling off and getting lost to time). So after days and days of futile research, I decided they must’ve been velcroed on (since the Velcro is already there anyway). So it can’t spin, which as far as I know was only a function on one specific board, but can be positioned however you want.

B50AE2E4-67BB-4AA3-8EA6-A2A9743B5950.jpeg

The underside greeblies are screwed on so they’re removable, and the middle piece stuck with super strong double sided tape. Again all printed, and painted up with automotive sprays (Toyota chilli red and berry purple, if anyones interested).

FFEA5873-E235-4D77-9A98-3E9A15106A80.jpeg

Of the couple things I’ll change going forward, one is these screws. The ones shown here are everso slightly oversized and don’t fit in the recesses so cleanly.

The graphics are pretty self explanatory, just building up layer after layer of self adhesive coloured vinyl and 25mm wide velcro. It’s all then stuck down with more trusty ol’ double sided T Rex tape.

953F28AC-6428-4580-8C2C-6B91CB45687A.jpeg
6ADB571A-0C8E-4CDD-AC98-E06C67E36A3E.jpeg
24D3C0D6-8834-4A8A-B15F-1D0B3131AF6D.jpeg

4380709D-4109-498A-83DC-B4CD60100046.jpeg

1580CCBD-FFC7-44A3-90DA-07AD397287BD.jpeg

A0D36AAC-2736-49FE-A738-1A09A9988770.jpeg

So what I’ll change going forward…

Like I said before I grabbed the wrong box of screws for the greeblies and these ones are slightly too large. I don’t think anyone would ever notice or know any better, but I want it to be just right. Also the white vinyl used on the graphics is slightly translucent, so I’ll be replacing that with something better. Other than that, I’m pretty chuffed with this one. Even getting to see some screen used boards in the flesh didn’t bring up anything I felt needed changing.

If there’s anything else anyone would like to know then please don’t hesitate to ask, and thanks again for looking

Add some of those pics to your original post, and I think it'll generate more interest. (The lack of them is probably also why you're getting reamed in the FB forum.)
Don't forget to tell us how much it weighs; I build mine expressly out of foam for the purposes of mounting them on fishing line to hover for cosplay. With stainless steel/aluminum hover plates, they top the scales at *maybe* 5lbs./2.25kg.

It could also be that at the moment, the hoverboard replica market is saturated. You may see more interest develop as the 40th anniversary draws closer.

Regards,
McFlyDallas

Cheers buddy, appreciate the advice

So it’s resin printed in 3 parts (this initial board was actually four, thanks to a minor technical glitch along the way…), then glued together and the gaps filled with Milliput and sanded. It’s then primed, and slathered in glorious neon pink paint.
View attachment 1700439

View attachment 1700422View attachment 1700424
View attachment 1700423

The footplate is also 3D printed, and does not spin. Many screen used boards are missing the foot plate, and have left behind no evidence that they were ever there. Since the quickest and easiest solution is always the way in the prop world, I figure it must’ve just been stuck there pretty easy (hence them falling off and getting lost to time). So after days and days of futile research, I decided they must’ve been velcroed on (since the Velcro is already there anyway). So it can’t spin, which as far as I know was only a function on one specific board, but can be positioned however you want.

View attachment 1700426

The underside greeblies are screwed on so they’re removable, and the middle piece stuck with super strong double sided tape. Again all printed, and painted up with automotive sprays (Toyota chilli red and berry purple, if anyones interested).

View attachment 1700429
Of the couple things I’ll change going forward, one is these screws. The ones shown here are everso slightly oversized and don’t fit in the recesses so cleanly.

The graphics are pretty self explanatory, just building up layer after layer of self adhesive coloured vinyl and 25mm wide velcro. It’s all then stuck down with more trusty ol’ double sided T Rex tape.

View attachment 1700428View attachment 1700430View attachment 1700431
View attachment 1700434
View attachment 1700433
View attachment 1700446

So what I’ll change going forward…

Like I said before I grabbed the wrong box of screws for the greeblies and these ones are slightly too large. I don’t think anyone would ever notice or know any better, but I want it to be just right. Also the white vinyl used on the graphics is slightly translucent, so I’ll be replacing that with something better. Other than that, I’m pretty chuffed with this one. Even getting to see some screen used boards in the flesh didn’t bring up anything I felt needed changing.

If there’s anything else anyone would like to know then please don’t hesitate to ask, and thanks again for looking
This hoverboard looks great. Also nice to see a product in hand and ready to go. I’d buy one but I just bought one from another recent therpf run.

I feel like I've searched everywhere for good hoverboard graphics, does anyone have any links or anything to graphics for the Rising Sun hoverboard please?

This is tempting. But the exchange rate for gbp to usd makes it so much harder. I gotta think about it but I’m certainly tempted. Just dunno if I can squeeze that much room out of lightsaber budgets :p

Hi all. Sorry for the radio silence, but been busy working on these.

So here’s my latest board that’s on its way out to a new home. Couple slight improvements that I listed before, but nothing drastic.

For those that were wondering she weighs just over 2 kilos. Also, I discovered a VERY special hidden bonus that likes to come out under UV light

Attachments

• IMG_0596.jpeg
    IMG_0596.jpeg
    586.8 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0599.jpeg
    IMG_0599.jpeg
    623.7 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0620.jpeg
    IMG_0620.jpeg
    461 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0606.jpeg
    IMG_0606.jpeg
    721.8 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0593.jpeg
    IMG_0593.jpeg
    733.2 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_5474.mov
    41.3 MB
  • IMG_0602.jpeg
    IMG_0602.jpeg
    534.9 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_5499.jpeg
    IMG_5499.jpeg
    1,007.7 KB · Views: 101
This is tempting. But the exchange rate for gbp to usd makes it so much harder. I gotta think about it but I’m certainly tempted. Just dunno if I can squeeze that much room out of lightsaber budgets :p
Well right now that exchange rate is about as far in your favour as it’s gonna be! Also if I’m remembering right then I think shipping it to the US should only be about $60 odd?

And if it helps I just discovered it glows like the mother of all lightsabers under UV light

But either way thanks for taking a look Greatly appreciated

Thought I’d revive this post to see if there’s any interest in the run up to Christmas, since I have a few on the go.

I’ve also dropped the price from £450 to £350 (plus shipping). Feel free to get in touch with any questions

Thanks!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back