Back To The Future 2: Flying Luxor Cab

Seth

The Luxor Cab as seen in BTTF2, based on a NOREV 1/18 Citroen Pallas scale model. The model has landing gears driven by servo motors and integrated LED’s. To do get things as 'screen accurate' as possible , I used screen images and footage from the original hero car.
Starting from a 3d scan from the Norev model, drawn in CAD and 3D printed (SLA, FDM, Polyjet). Finished with spray paint and custom made decals.

Webpage: Cab To the future webpage

Bttf Luxor CAB .jpgBttf-Luxor-CAB---image-01.jpgBttf-Luxor-CAB---image-02.jpgBttf-Luxor-CAB---image-03.jpgBttf-Luxor-CAB---image-05.jpgBttf-Luxor-CAB-delorean.jpg

Thanks! 1:18 scaled BTTF skyway traffic signs will follow..

Attachments

• skyway-sign-03.jpg
    skyway-sign-03.jpg
    703.2 KB · Views: 211
  • skyway-sign-02.jpg
    skyway-sign-02.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 510
  • skyway sign 01.jpg
    skyway sign 01.jpg
    648.7 KB · Views: 530
I love what you have done- it does look amazing!

One suggestion- while it is not the worn out future of Blade Runner, that cab looks too clean to be a vehicle in service. Maybe some subtle weathering and some grime on the inside of the wheel wells.

I faced a similar issue when I was commissioned to create a model of a Pontiac Fiero for a TV commercial. I had to start with a 1:24 kit and add lighting and have all the wheels spin by a motor. It had to be filmed from every angle so the underside and interior had to be clean and visible. It looked like a toy until I added some weathering and black oil touches selectively. While people do not think of new cars as being dirty, if they are too clean they just seem to be a bit odd.

BTTF 2 was a showcase of vehicles, full of cameos and factory showcars. The Luxor cab was the one which got extensive screen time but little recognition. I am so glad you chose it as your subject- it really turned out well!

Amazing functionality. The solid shades of color do make it look a bit like a toy.
Indeed, the colours would bring more 'realism' when having a less brighter tone, matt coloured or even weathering. Currently working on another copy of the taxi and will certainly experiment with that. Not sure if this model would need a lot of weathering. How would you do this?

It wouldn't take much, maybe just a subtle wash would bring it all in to darken the seams between panels and other parts.
As Richard said, the inside of the wheel wells would never be clean (or painted for that matter). Road grim would collect on any bottom facing surfaces also. For how to do it, look up some of YouTube videos on weathering models. Tested has a good one here. I also like Luke Towan's techniques.

thanks for the tips!
I love what you have done- it does look amazing!

One suggestion- while it is not the worn out future of Blade Runner, that cab looks too clean to be a vehicle in service. Maybe some subtle weathering and some grime on the inside of the wheel wells.

I faced a similar issue when I was commissioned to create a model of a Pontiac Fiero for a TV commercial. I had to start with a 1:24 kit and add lighting and have all the wheels spin by a motor. It had to be filmed from every angle so the underside and interior had to be clean and visible. It looked like a toy until I added some weathering and black oil touches selectively. While people do not think of new cars as being dirty, if they are too clean they just seem to be a bit odd.

BTTF 2 was a showcase of vehicles, full of cameos and factory showcars. The Luxor cab was the one which got extensive screen time but little recognition. I am so glad you chose it as your subject- it really turned out well!

Thanks for you reply, great tips! Indeed 'too clean' models have this odd 'toy look'. I am building a few more copies of the Taxi, in these I will try some weathering techniques. Starting weathering feels a bit tricky on a fresh and new made model, but this I will have to work trough!
Back to the future 2 was a great movie for cars and props. I just love the practical effects.. (Griff's flying BMW seems like a nice project on 1:18 too) .. The last weeks I was experimenting with chroma key and a diy camera rail, want to try to make a few shots of the Luxor Cab flying down the C25 skyway..

It wouldn't take much, maybe just a subtle wash would bring it all in to darken the seams between panels and other parts.
As Richard said, the inside of the wheel wells would never be clean (or painted for that matter). Road grim would collect on any bottom facing surfaces also. For how to do it, look up some of YouTube videos on weathering models. Tested has a good one here. I also like Luke Towan's techniques.

Thanks for the tips!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back