Back to the Future 1985 Denim Jacket 2018 Update

I haven't heard that yet. Did you get a shipping notification? I sent a message to Head Goonie, but no reply yet.
Headgoonie MailMagazine vol.179 said they were done and would be shipping starting this week and weekend in the order they were purchased in.

…if the machine translation I used can be trusted.

Headgoonie MailMagazine vol.179 said they were done and would be shipping starting this week and weekend in the order they were purchased in.

…if the machine translation I used can be trusted.
I'll let you know how my hydrogen peroxide experiment goes and if it's worth the trouble.

Quick update: I just got my hands on an original 1984 Guess bttf vest ( see pics below ) I'm the kid who had the original style bttf Guess jacket new back in 1985-86 when I was 15 & my aunt got ahold of one for me at the Guess outlet in SoCal. If you've read my story, that jacket is long gone & I've been on the hunt for another ever since. This is the closest I've gotten so far. I do own a Max Caddy & have seen several knock off versions, though having owned the original style Guess jacket & now the vest, I can tell you none of the knockoffs can match the feel, nor fit of the original Guess jacket used in the film that were available from 1984-1986 at select Guess outlets. I don't believe these were ever available at Macy's, Imagnim, or Emporium Capwell back in the day as I searched all of those department stores back then & my aunt in Socal told me they had them at the Guess outlet on a clearance rack. I've included a few pics below of my original Guess jacket from 1985-86 ( I'm 15yrs old in that pic ), as well as my Max Caddy jacket with my DeLorean in 2021 ( yes I ended up buying a DMC a few years back with 10k original miles from DMC Florida ), and finally pics of my NEW 1984-86 Guess Vest that is the same pattern minus the sleeves & half trim on the back.

FYI - the picture of me wearing the vest looks a bit washed out in that pic due to the bright lights in front of me, though it's a bit darker in reality, closer to the solo pics I took of the vest. It's in excellent condition for a 39yr old vest.

One last tidbit, on my original Guess jacket from 1985-86 the buttons had a miniature Guess logo ( triangle+guess spelled out) on each button, not to mention the rectangular Guess patch above the left front pocket. I believe my original Guess jacket was a later updated version being manufactured in 1985 as the movie version worn by Michael J Fox, as well as my vest I recently acquired must be an earlier 1984 version when the movie was being filmed as they have no logo whatsoever on the buttons & a triangle Guess patch on the lower left front pocket of the jacket. Also there are no inner pockets in these original Guess jackets, I remember having to put my walkman in the actual front facing pockets, unlike the movie version & knockoff versions which include an inner pocket for your wallet or walkman. Hope this helps others in their efforts to make a better duplicate.

Attachments

• matt1985.JPG
    matt1985.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 298
  • DSC_9737~2.JPG
    DSC_9737~2.JPG
    249.5 KB · Views: 307
  • DSC_9738~2.JPG
    DSC_9738~2.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 309
  • DSC_9740~2.JPG
    DSC_9740~2.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 243
  • DSC_9741~2.JPG
    DSC_9741~2.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 233
  • DSC_9739.JPG
    DSC_9739.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 233
  • DSC_6401~2.JPG
    DSC_6401~2.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 329
Last edited:
Quick update: I just got my hands on an original 1984 Guess bttf vest ( see pics below ) I'm the kid who had the original style bttf Guess jacket new back in 1985-86 when I was 15 & my aunt got ahold of one for me at the Guess outlet in SoCal. If you've read my story, that jacket is long gone & I've been on the hunt for another ever since. This is the closest I've gotten so far. I do own a Max Caddy & have seen several knock off versions, though having owned the original style Guess jacket & now the vest, I can tell you none of the knockoffs can match the feel, nor fit of the original Guess jacket used in the film that were available from 1984-1986 at select Guess outlets. I don't believe these were ever available at Macy's, Imagnim, or Emporium Capwell back in the day as I searched all of those department stores back then & my aunt in Socal told me they had them at the Guess outlet on a clearance rack. I've included a few pics below of my original Guess jacket from 1985-86 ( I'm 15yrs old in that pic ), as well as my Max Caddy jacket with my DeLorean in 2021 ( yes I ended up buying a DMC a few years back with 10k original miles from DMC Florida ), and finally pics of my NEW 1984-86 Guess Vest that is the same pattern minus the sleeves & half trim on the back.

FYI - the picture of me wearing the vest looks a bit washed out in that pic due to the bright lights in front of me, though it's a bit darker in reality, closer to the solo pics I took of the vest. It's in excellent condition for a 39yr old vest.

One last tidbit, on my original Guess jacket from 1985-86 the buttons had a miniature Guess logo ( triangle+guess spelled out) on each button, not to mention the rectangular Guess patch above the left front pocket. I believe my original Guess jacket was a later updated version being manufactured in 1985 as the movie version worn by Michael J Fox, as well as my vest I recently acquired must be an earlier 1984 version when the movie was being filmed as they have no logo whatsoever on the buttons & a triangle Guess patch on the lower left front pocket of the jacket. Also there are no inner pockets in these original Guess jackets, I remember having to put my walkman in the actual front facing pockets, unlike the movie version & knockoff versions which include an inner pocket for your wallet or walkman. Hope this helps others in their efforts to make a better duplicate.
great find! Other than the half trim and the no sleeve.. all the characterization of Marty jacket was there...i mean the buttons have that dent styling...

I'm a seamstress and I'm attempting to duplicate the jacket worn by Michael J Fox...Marty McFly in the first back to the future. I have found several articles and documentations that this was never sold in a store. It xas a guess jacket specifically altered just fir that movie.....I know with enough pictures and if I can find enough vintage denim...I know I could probably come close.

I'm a seamstress and I'm attempting to duplicate the jacket worn by Michael J Fox...Marty McFly in the first back to the future. I have found several articles and documentations that this was never sold in a store. It xas a guess jacket specifically altered just fir that movie.....I know with enough pictures and if I can find enough vintage denim...I know I could probably come close.
That is a rumor started by certain members of the BTTF costuming community that don't like to be wrong to make themselves seem like bigger authorities than they are. They invent stories or claim to talk to people that don't exist (like a Guess archivist) to try to sound authoritative, but really just don't like that other people may know more than they do.

The real jacket was a Guess children's jacket style number P6108 in size 18 or 20. Fewer than 10 in ANY color have ever come up for sale in the modern day.

The most recent of which was this one: Back to the Future Denim 1984 Guess Style Jacket | eBay

The linings were added after, most likely as a way to create a larger interior pocket for Marty's Aiwa walkman.

Rumors of it being a modified jacket are based on the fact that there is a similar jacket in adult sizes but with wildly different pockets. These jackets would have been WAY too large on MJF so they couldn't have served as the basis for the real jacket. The rumors of it being custom made always overlook the costume designer specifically stating that she bought his costume locally... AND the fact that she was on a limited schedule because MJF was coming in in the middle of the production to replace Eric Stoltz. There just wouldn't have been time to create something custom.

The jacket, like the rest of the costume, is simply off the shelf stuff (like women's guess jeans, a Class 5 puffer vest, a Royal Comfort undershirt, etc) that could be purchased locally in California at the time.

Last edited:
I have now confirmed a specific “tell” present on this jacket with another jacket owner, that I would not expect to be present in a custom or modified jacket.

If I ever get access to the surviving jacket that is in someone’s collection or can get a good enough picture of the Guess jacket at the Hollywood Museum, I should be able to confirm whether they are official Guess creations, even with the tags removed due to the lining swap.

Does anyone know what the shipping time at Headgoonie is like? I ordered the Marty jacket from them on Thursday and have gotten no shipping confirmation or anything

Does anyone know what the shipping time at Headgoonie is like? I ordered the Marty jacket from them on Thursday and have gotten no shipping confirmation or anything
They’re a small independent shop, so I’d imagine they ship once a week or once every other week to consolidate trips to the post office.

I believe mine arrived about a week after it shipped.

They’re a small independent shop, so I’d imagine they ship once a week or once every other week to consolidate trips to the post office.

I believe mine arrived about a week after it shipped.
That makes sense, I think I bought the last Large because it looks like it’s sold out now, I was just curious how long it took them to actually ship the jacket, I can’t wait!! I have been checking this thread for awhile now and all of you are the reason I made the purchase so thanks for that!

That makes sense, I think I bought the last Large because it looks like it’s sold out now, I was just curious how long it took them to actually ship the jacket, I can’t wait!! I have been checking this thread for awhile now and all of you are the reason I made the purchase so thanks for that!
It’s a great jacket. You’re gonna love it!

I ordered as part of the preorder and man, I remember checking my email every day waiting for the shipping info. So I get it!

You’ll have to show it off once it comes in.

Got my shipping notification! This is heavy!

I have been dreaming of this jacket since I got my first guess denim
Jacket with the leather pattern in like 2013, than the hundreds shirt jacket in 2015, the hundreds 2020 model (still my favorite thus far) and a Max Cady which I did not personally care for.

But I was finally financially able to afford a headgoonie and in a short time I’ll finally have it!

I have now confirmed a specific “tell” present on this jacket with another jacket owner, that I would not expect to be present in a custom or modified jacket.

If I ever get access to the surviving jacket that is in someone’s collection or can get a good enough picture of the Guess jacket at the Hollywood Museum, I should be able to confirm whether they are official Guess creations, even with the tags removed due to the lining swap.
Wow, that's an amazing find, even if it's the wrong colour. Looking forward to the comparisons.

Maybe with these new "tell" signs you could help Magnoli in creating the most accurate replica possible?...

Wow, that's an amazing find, even if it's the wrong colour. Looking forward to the comparisons.

Maybe with these new "tell" signs you could help Magnoli in creating the most accurate replica possible?...
I’m in talks with a shop to produce replicas based on this jacket if there’s interest. I threw an interest thread up.

I received my jacket today and I do love it but something is bothering me, does anyone else’s jacket have what appear to be small holes down by the satchel pockets?
B756A374-9A45-4EC3-817C-8CF0213E2463.jpeg

Attachments

• BED1EC65-BE56-4820-852F-F991E935CB48.jpeg
    BED1EC65-BE56-4820-852F-F991E935CB48.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 90
I visited the Back to the Future exhibit at the Hollywood museum & Marty's Guess Jacket was on display. Not sure if this is a backup jacket because the Guess triangle logo is clearly on the left pocket. Also the jacket was quite small, likely to fit Michael appropriately, I would say it's an extra small in today's sizes. Regardless, it's in almost new condition, maybe washed a few times but otherwise very well preserved.

Attachments

• DSC_2291~2.JPG
    DSC_2291~2.JPG
    731.7 KB · Views: 191
  • DSC_2282~2.JPG
    DSC_2282~2.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 145
I just visited the Back to Future Exhibit at Hollywood museum. The jacket is behind a glass casing that creates a glare when you take photos of it.... though I did my best to capture a few photos without glare. I've owned the original jacket back in the mid 80s which I uploaded photos in a previous post & currently own the vest which I bought on eBay last month. I also purchased the Max Caddy last year which is a poor replica of the original imo.

Attachments

• DSC_2291~2.JPG
    DSC_2291~2.JPG
    731.7 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC_2282~2.JPG
    DSC_2282~2.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC_2135~2.JPG
    DSC_2135~2.JPG
    274.8 KB · Views: 143

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back