Back to the Future 1985 Denim Jacket 2018 Update

I visited the Back to the Future exhibit at the Hollywood museum & Marty's Guess Jacket was on display. Not sure if this is a backup jacket because the Guess triangle logo is clearly on the left pocket. Also the jacket was quite small, likely to fit Michael appropriately, I would say it's an extra small in today's sizes. Regardless, it's in almost new condition, maybe washed a few times but otherwise very well preserved.
The reason for the Guess logo being there is because it's unfortunately not a screen used jacket.

As far as I'm concerned, all jackets used in the production of BTTF are long lost. Apparently, one of the jackets (assumed to be one where the jacket and vest are stitched together, for scenes with a lot of movement) is owned by a private collector, although there isn't much information to back it up since they are completely anonymous.

The jacket at the Hollywood Museum is actually owned by another RPF user, jonnytrooper. In terms of details, it seems to be the exact same model used in the film (correct double sectioned waistband, and correct button placement). In terms of sizing I'm not completely sure, but according to the jackets owner he said it's around a youth large or in normal men's sizing, a small to extra small.

Image of the jacket attached:
7DC0E2AB-575B-4866-86E6-83DDECDA1CB7.jpeg

I hope you had a great time at the Hollywood Museum, it seems really awesome. Thanks for the images, too!

I just visited the Back to Future Exhibit at Hollywood museum. The jacket is behind a glass casing that creates a glare when you take photos of it.... though I did my best to capture a few photos without glare. I've owned the original jacket back in the mid 80s which I uploaded photos in a previous post & currently own the vest which I bought on eBay last month. I also purchased the Max Caddy last year which is a poor replica of the original imo.
If I’m not mistaken, the jacket on display there is jonnytrooper’s.

I need to get out to that museum one of these days!

EDIT: …I swear Sinister’s post wasn’t there when I posted this. Lol

What he said!

The reason for the Guess logo being there is because it's unfortunately not a screen used jacket.

As far as I'm concerned, all jackets used in the production of BTTF are long lost. Apparently, one of the jackets (assumed to be one where the jacket and vest are stitched together, for scenes with a lot of movement) is owned by a private collector, although there isn't much information to back it up since they are completely anonymous.

The jacket at the Hollywood Museum is actually owned by another RPF user, jonnytrooper. In terms of details, it seems to be the exact same model used in the film (correct double sectioned waistband, and correct button placement). In terms of sizing I'm not completely sure, but according to the jackets owner he said it's around a youth large or in normal men's sizing, a small to extra small.

Image of the jacket attached:
View attachment 1618542

I hope you had a great time at the Hollywood Museum, it seems really awesome. Thanks for the images, too!
I know this is a long shot but everyone here seems to be highly knowledgeable about this jacket. Any chance you know of anyone who has one for sale preferably a med or large ( 18/20 ). I'd be willing to pay it's worth for anyone in possession that wants to part with it for the right $$$

I know this is a long shot but everyone here seems to be highly knowledgeable about this jacket. Any chance you know of anyone who has one for sale preferably a med or large ( 18/20 ). I'd be willing to pay it's worth for anyone in possession that wants to part with it for the right $$$
There are only around 10 of any color that have ever come up for sale.

I should also note that an 18/20 is going to fit closer to a modern XS/fitted small than a medium or large.

These were children’s jackets so adult sizing is just not something you’re going to find.

I’ve now officially owned a Max Cady, Headgoonie and a The hundreds version of Marty’s jacket and I’ll be honest and all of this is my personal opinion.

The Hundreds version feels like the most accurate version I’m terms of what Marty would of actually worn. It has the street wear feel, the perfect fit, the personality. It’s just a piece of California culture that’s made in China (lol)

Max Cady is pretty terrible.

The Headgoonie (which I’m still making payments on) is good and bad. It’s the most accurate hands down. But the quality is kinda eh, the front pockets on mine have almost holes in them, the sleeves are way off so you are kinda forced to roll the sleeves up. It’s a fantastic jacket but bruh….. I paid $500 for it and I’m not stoked

The hundreds one had me stoked from day 1.

I’ve now officially owned a Max Cady, Headgoonie and a The hundreds version of Marty’s jacket and I’ll be honest and all of this is my personal opinion.

The Hundreds version feels like the most accurate version I’m terms of what Marty would of actually worn. It has the street wear feel, the perfect fit, the personality. It’s just a piece of California culture that’s made in China (lol)

The Headgoonie (which I’m still making payments on) is good and bad. It’s the most accurate hands down. But the quality is kinda eh, the front pockets on mine have almost holes in them, the sleeves are way off so you are kinda forced to roll the sleeves up. It’s a fantastic jacket but bruh….. I paid $500 for it and I’m not stoked

For as much as everyone's paid for these knockoff jackets, it would have made sense for Guess to do a special limited run of the original jackets. So much headache would have been saved and they could have charged a premium, same as Nike did when they sold the Air Mags

For as much as everyone's paid for these knockoff jackets, it would have made sense for Guess to do a special limited run of the original jackets. So much headache would have been saved and they could have charged a premium, same as Nike did when they sold the Air Mags

Absolutely bro I agree with you and we’d still be bickering here if it was a 1:1 scale movie accurate piece.

Realistically I’ve invested over 1K into finding my perfect Marty jacket snd I should of stopped with the hundreds, Marty was a Southern California skater,guitarist ect. The hundreds is a street wear brand that appeals to those demographics.

Their version of the jacket just hits different. Don’t get me wrong the Headgoonie feels like I took a prop out of the film, but that’s the thing. It feels like a prop. Not a functional piece of street wear which Mcfly would of opted for.

You should have asked HG for a replacement... for such price...holes is unacceptable

Are the older versions adtiquated now that Headgoonie has updated the design accuracy?
I actually have that jacket too and their latest 2021 release.

I’d say the one thing I like more about the 2015 is the color of the fabric on the inner sleeves is more yellowed and aged looking but other than that I like everything else on the newest one. One thing I hate about the 2015 version are the shoulder parts. Way too long and pointy for me. It bothered me so much that I never wore it casually. I don’t have that problem with the 2021 version. Love it.

Agreed about The Hundreds jacket. I'm so glad I did not sit on it after missing the first run.

I have just managed to find an 80s Guess jacket which looks VERY similar... (but definitely different)

Same pockets, and what looks like the exact same two tone colours too.
IMG_20230113_173031331_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230113_173246123_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230113_173130231_HDR (2).jpg
Quite proud of it :)

I can also confirm this model dates back before the model used in BTTF, since I found an ad including the jacket from 1983.
5ac140889ea0cf9bd120d50e3fcf4c99.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20221124_161252057_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221124_161252057_HDR.jpg
    641.1 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_20221124_161323797_HDR2.jpg
    IMG_20221124_161323797_HDR2.jpg
    710.1 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_20221124_161419344_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221124_161419344_HDR.jpg
    631.4 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_20230113_1731542712.jpg
    IMG_20230113_1731542712.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20230113_173249665_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230113_173249665_HDR.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20230113_173130231_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230113_173130231_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 78
Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back