Back to the Future 1985 Denim Jacket 2018 Update

It doesn’t look bad by any means but I do like the 2018 over all cut and color more as well.

I’m eager to see everyones pictures once you all get your new updated jackets in. I was so excited when I was able to get my jacket and vest from them. Happy for everyone else who can finally obtain one of these

Here’s a Link to the live stream they did that compared this new jacket with the 2018 jacket. I think the new actually looks much closer to the original jacket in terms of cut & colour, simply because they are actually stonewashing denim & not cut & sewing material then spray painting it.

Sure the grey looks a little dark in comparison to the film but over time, that will fade just like the real jacket would. Or you could simply put it on a cold wash a few times til you get the colour you want?

Here’s a Link to the live stream they did that compared this new jacket with the 2018 jacket. I think the new actually looks much closer to the original jacket in terms of cut & colour, simply because they are actually stonewashing denim & not cut & sewing material then spray painting it.

Sure the grey looks a little dark in comparison to the film but over time, that will fade just like the real jacket would. Or you could simply put it on a cold wash a few times til you get the colour you want?
thanks for the comparison video but still as of now I will gladly exchange my size S for a 2018 medium because hell that blue particularly was losing to the grey.

You could also bring a reference photos if you think that the blue and grey was closer to the movie so that many here convinced or can justified the new PO.

Food for thought: IF you need to wash them that much, when the blue is evidently pretty weaker in the new version...Do you even think what will happen to the blue once you get your preferred grey?

Last edited:
So here's a question... When it comes to measurements, different places measure from different points. With the Headgoonie small, when it says "body length 60cm," is that starting where the shoulder meets the sleeve, or from the collar? Measurements from those two places should be a couple of inches different!

It occurs to me that I just dropped into this thread suddenly, lol. I usually lurk quietly. Hello, everyone!
I asked on the live and body length according to them is measured along the back. So collar to waist is likely the way of thinking of that.

Was that the 2018 or their original jacket? The lining wasn’t the same as their 2018 if I’m thinking of the right video. (Can’t rewatch it now to confirm)

I asked on the live and body length according to them is measured along the back. So collar to waist is likely the way of thinking of that.
Thank you so much! I didn't know about the livestream. I really, really appreciate it - that pushes me from a small into a medium. Thanks!

$#!+ I did not need to watch that video, lol. Seeing the jacket live like that may have changed my mind about this one.

Right before the 2minute mark He gestures about the collar/lapel flipping. This is my biggest gripe with the 2018 jacket. It’s nice to see that issue has been fixed.

Ahhh, hell. What to do, lol

$#!+ I did not need to watch that video, lol. Seeing the jacket live like that may have changed my mind about this one.

Right before the 2minute mark He gestures about the collar/lapel flipping. This is my biggest gripe with the 2018 jacket. It’s nice to see that issue has been fixed.

Ahhh, hell. What to do, lol
Yes, the collar/lapel flipping is improved here no doubt about it.

Headgoonie described the changes to the jacket and vest on a Facebook post. They stated that they have made the vest slightly darker in color this time around.

If I buy the 2021 headgoonie jacket, I will lighten the gray color with a little chlorine and water since washing it I do not notice almost any difference, here is the comparison of a friend's jacket (the right is the clarified one)
AB028AF1-C06C-42BD-98A2-57A3998C70EF.jpeg

If I buy the 2021 headgoonie jacket, I will lighten the gray color with a little chlorine and water since washing it I do not notice almost any difference, here is the comparison of a friend's jacket (the right is the clarified one)View attachment 1500993
It'll be interesting to see what effect washing the 2021 with chlorine & water will have. I'd expect slightly different results to the above seeing as they have used a different denim this time around (black ox denim) and stonewashed rather than airbrushing. However the results you've got above with the previous variation look excellent colour wise. Looking forward to seeing what you get in Nov/Dec :)

Last edited:
So I think we can all agree that the new denim jacket is too dark. Unfortunate, but may be fixable. I plan to tape off the blue parts of the jacket then use a bottle filled with water and hydrogen peroxide and spray the whole jacket with it. After this is done it will be put in the wash.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back