BABYLON 5 REMASTERED FINALLY AVAILABLE!

Bruce Boxleitner! He was so much better than Michael O'hare as the Commander of the station starting in Season 2. It often felt like Michael couldn't say a line without smiling. I thought they should have rename him Commander Jeffrey St. Smiley instead of Sinclair. :D

Michael Garibaldi (Jerry Doyle) always reminded me a bit of Bruce Willis (a good thing I think). Lando and G'Kar sparring was fun to watch (Note: Both Lando's Peter Jurasik and Bruce Boxleitner were both in the original TRON movie)

My only real complaint about the show (other than Season 5, which I think was worse overall than even Season 1 mostly because all the good plots were fleshed out in Season 4 because they thought it was going to be forced to end early) was that 5'10" tall Claudia Christian was such a hot babe (I liked her ever since seeing her in Hexed in 1993 in a pretty hot roll) and they managed to somehow hide that nearly the entire series in a uniform (yeah I know she had a serious role; does that mean she couldn't have a life outside the bridge? She was actually supposed to get it on in a big way with Andrea Thompson's Talia Winters, but Andrea was eager to leave the show for something better so it never fully developed). Claudia's character rarely had her hair down and rarely dressed casual, let alone in a hot outfit. One episode of Starhyke (2011) made her look hotter than the entire B5 series. Starhyke also had Suanne Braun (The gorgeous goddess Hathor in Stargate SG-1 who is also 5'10" tall) on it. Too bad it wasn't better handled as humor plus starships plus hot babes sounded like a good idea to me. ;)

Claudia Christian in a red dress from Hexed

Claudia Christian in Hexed.jpg

Suanne Braun as Hathor, the hottest Egyptian goddess of all time.

suanne-braun-as-hathor-1.jpg

I did too when I saw the pilot because I, like a lot of people, assumed it was a DS9 ripoff (actually the opposite). You have to watch it for a while to get into it and some episode are corny, but it pays off.

So I didn't watch this show when it originally aired. But I decided to give it a shot since I have HBOmax.

I've been pleasantly surprised. I'm half way into the first season and very much enjoying the show.

Wish it was in 16:9 and remastered...
Remastering seems like it might be technologically possible, even without proper masters with no CG elements comped in. I just watched a video on YouTube yesterday that demonstrated a program that uses an AI to help do rotoscoping. If somebody were willing to invest the money, I think that within a few years it would be possible to remaster B5 to include updated CG using this new AI rotoscoping technology because it would, theoretically, cut down the time needed to rotoscope out the live action to comp in new CG by a significant amount and as most of us are aware, time is money in film and TV (post) production.

I just finished watching through Season 4 and overall it was a nice improvement. I think they did increase CGI resolution a bit as it all looked great on my 48" plasma set, but even the actors didn't look sharp enough from film to make me want to watch it on my 92" screen (I'm guessing the film wasn't 35mm, but smaller) and there the CGI limitations were much more noticeable even so.

Also given the artificial looking effects for the inside of the station or anything remotely organic (This was 1990s Lightwave 3D, after all), I'd say the best thing they could possibly do is create all new updated 3D effects renders with newer/better software. The show deserves it, IMO.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back