Azrael (Arkham City)

therealmccoy

Hi everyone. Long time lurker, first time WIP poster here at the RPF. I've been costuming since 2008 and am part of the notorious Mandalorian Mercs and Georgia Ghostbusters. My costuming alter ego is Lucas McCoy and you can find photos of my other costumes and stuff on my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/thereallucasmccoy

I've been working on putting together an Azrael costume from Arkham City the past few weeks. Since the Arkham series is grounded in reality, many of the pieces are found off the shelf or with little modification. Most of those I either had already or was able to find with not much effort. He wears some kind of tactical cargo pant, welding gloves, combat boots, and a GI pistol belt. Beyond that, I will be crafting the armor pieces out of sintra (the grey armor parts) or EVA foam(the red armor parts), a material I have not used before and am looking forward to learning.

IMG_1798.JPG

I'm modding an airsoft face mask for his mask, and this weekend my girlfriend and I will be sewing his 'cape' strips, tabard and hood.

My favorite part of the costume is going to be the wrist blade on the left forearm. I've cut the blades out of 6mm sintra and have begun to bevel the edges to appear "sharp", but I'll actually be dremmeling in a shallow trench on the edge to embed an EL wire strip as shown in the photo. The top portion of the gauntlet will actually leave ample room for the battery inverter for the EL wire. =)

IMG_1796.JPGIMG_1797.JPG

The ceremonial red armor parts I am doing out of foam, and have only just begun planning on. I will probably do the blades out of sintra so they are more rigid, but I figured the foam would be good because it is light and honestly I have been wanting to try it out. I got this diagram from a thread here on the forum and I think it's for a pep file but I will probably just design it myself with my own measurements.

IMG_1802.JPG

The only thing I've hit a snag on so far are the knee pads. I've looked everywhere! I am hoping to convert a pair of real world knee pads (the plastic/rubber cups at least) and modify them with foam. The reason for this is so they don't fall apart when I take a knee or do any other kind of acrobatic poses while in the costume. If you have any ideas, please reply or PM me! Although if your idea is "skate pads", "Home Depot", or "Lowe's", please don't! haha

I am looking forward to posting more updates soon. Thanks!

Last edited:
Try a pair of Defender volleyball knee pads. A lot of guys use them with the Ghostbusters uniforms, but the new style reminds me of what you've posted as the game model. If you were to cut the back portion off of them and sew on the buckles, they would look dead on after you dye them.

Try a pair of Defender volleyball knee pads.

Thanks for the suggestion! Ya they are definitely more bulbous. I have a pair I use for my ghostbuster uniform. Still looking for something that will work for now though. :\

Did a lot of work on the soft parts this weekend. "cape" is about finished except for the part where it connects to the back armor plate. the hood is finished besides a bit of weathering

1381860_10151749937686794_140894168_n.jpg1380275_10151749672621794_7340558_n.jpg

bit of work on the left gaunt tonight. it's pretty tall on his arm so I'm using several layers of different material. Cut a hole in the foam insert there to make room for the EL wire battery pack, and now I just need to figure out how to get to the on/off button! haha

azraelgaunt.JPG

More updates this week on gaunts/chest/shoulder armor and the tabard =)
Not sure I'll be done enough to wear it Thursday but maybe out this weekend lol

1382798_10151754568906794_749831726_n.jpg

did a podcast with a friend today so worked on my blade gaunt a bit more. got all the layers cut and starting detail and forming on them shortly

Azreal is one of my favourite DC characters, I am looking forward to this build progressing, looks amazing at the moment, especially the wrist blade.

Thanks guys =)

my fingers are all glued together but I got the EL wire attached to the blades. the trench idea worked pretty well for holding the liquid glue to the wire so far.

[video=facebook;10100911826369673]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10100911826369673[/video]

not sure why the video isn't working. link here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10100911826369673

also got some pvc couplings from home depot and despite looking like a terrorist when I was checking out, I think these should work well as a base for his smoke grenades on his belt =)

1391727_10151782329001794_931852715_n.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back