Avengers Black Widow - Pics & Upgrade Plans!

Suit 2.0 progress! Not much yet, but you can see all the pieces (excluding seam strips) that go into this thing. Hope to make progress on this, and sculpt my widow belt tonight (6/12).

543692_10102145723569700_1772495755_n.jpg

205252_10102145944417120_379151405_n.jpg

Progress! I have a side panel i'm pinning trim to and a base sculpt of the buckle. i'll be sanding/defining/gluing the buckle tonight so i can make a mold of it. once i make a pull, i'll make a FS thread in junkyard.

181430_10102148967972890_276312599_n.jpg

534118_10102148968032770_256764108_n.jpg

Fantastic thread! I'm considering trying my hand at Black Widow...never sewn a bodysuit before so super nervous about the patterning and everything...eek! Just wondering - what fabric are you using for your seam strips? I can't for the life of me figure out how to make something similar looking!

Last edited:
what fabric are you using for your seam strips? I can't for the life of me figure out how to make something similar looking!

Actually using a small-rib knit from joanns. it doesn't have quite the right sheen to it (a cotton, vs synthetic on the rest) so i'm tempted to spray over with a clear... something. but seems to be working well so far.

Actually using a small-rib knit from joanns. it doesn't have quite the right sheen to it (a cotton, vs synthetic on the rest) so i'm tempted to spray over with a clear... something. but seems to be working well so far.

Question for you! :) I'm using the tutorial you posted - super helpful, thank you! - and wanted to ask one thing. The shoulder seams in the tutorial are straight, so obviously you would use straight strips. However, for Widow, the seams are curved or angled. Did you still use straight strips or did you cut strips that followed the pattern's lines?

Also, do you have any pointers for getting them nice and even? I'm doing a test run on some cheapo fabric right now (with straight strips) and it appears that Loki has infested my machine. I want to get it fixed and make sure I'm using the best technique before I get working with the real fabric! Thanks in advance for any pointers. :)

"Please don't laugh too much... but... How do you feed the fabric in your machine with the pins and not have a jam. I gave up trying and used masking tape."

Just sew slowly and pull the pins out right before you get to them. It's time consuming, but effective....it does make me hate pinning though.

Just sew slowly and pull the pins out right before you get to them. It's time consuming, but effective....it does make me hate pinning though.

What taurlice said. i quit putting pins back in my pin cushion and just got a bowl for them - went through all my pins several times thru making the outfit.

I'll get some more pics and the final bodysuit posted this week. it looks fantastic!!!

The seam material is Grosgain Ribbon which looks as if its either been stitched dont the middle or has been used to cover the edges of the panels and then stitched together some how

Love this! I've always wanted to make a black widow! Her and jean grey... and well any red head costume! Being a ginger wasn't always fun growing up, but these girls made it bad ass!!! I'd love to see your 2.0 costume all done!

not a bad base, but a touch shiny for either of her latest outfits.

i sold most of my first outfit, and thus only have the suit for 2.0 right now. It will likely be my halloween costume (or merida...), so i'll be working on getting 2.0 all set by then!

I made the first pull of one of my shield patches and it's awful. i've got a bit of tweaking to do before they're OK to use and sell. Colors though, are perfect. And the shape.

1. Wait longer. The pigments seem to result in a longer cure time. Lame, but livable. The splotching in the gray is where the silicone stuck to the mold while still apparently curing. I let it sit for another hour and it came out fine.
2. Get silicone thinner. It's a HUGE pain with this stuff so thick that i have to use a tooth pick to get it into all the corners.
3. OMG bubbles. If the thinner doesn't work, I'll have to degas the silicone. It's such a thin layer that I didn't think I'd need worry about it.

641_10102492661992320_88946874_n.jpg

another patch! 2nd pull, much better but not perfect. i'll nail it down once i hit 6 or so. :p i also resculpted and am making new molds of my widow bites. first cast in the pic below. no bubbles = no paint needed! woot. i gotta get bizzy and whip out a few sets of things this week!

527314_10102500861794850_644498254_n.jpg

(anyone know how to resize images in posts?)

You're definitely venturing into an area where I still feel intimidated -- and getting awesome results. Can't wait to see the final product!

Are you going to be selling the bites? I have some currently in the comic book fashion made out of wood, but am thining of making movie ones and adding the lights, if I decide I want to run wire all up my sleeve to the belt haha

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back