Avengers: Age of Ultron (Post-release)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Vivek, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Avengers: Age of Ultron movie discussion with spoilers.

You can find the pre-release discussion thread here.

Avengers: Age of Ultron gets released worldwide on April 22 (Wed) onwards across Europe, Asia, Australia and others. May 1 is the release date for US.

Marvel's Avengers Age of Ultron - Trailer 3 - YouTube

Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron: The Art of the Movie Slipcase: Marvel Comics: 9780785190066: Amazon.com

Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron: The Art of the Movie - $44.99

61yfaU60lPL.jpg

Amazon.com: Avengers Age Ultron / O.S.T.: Avengers: Age Ultron Music

Avengers: Age Ultron Soundtrack - $13.98

81mmzH3LyEL._SX522_.jpg

16588184443_3a6352d78e_b.jpg

17001696687_5206828197_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  2. Vivek

[​IMG]

oldhope001 likes this.
  3. n0regret5

n0regret5 Well-Known Member

Got my ticket! I'll be watching it this time tomorrow

4. hikarub

hikarub Well-Known Member

I'll be watching this in approximately 24 hours...

Can't wait!!

5. glunark

glunark Sr Member

If anyone sees the midnight showing can they let us know if there is an after credits scene or not.

I would hate to be late picking my kid up from school because I stayed ten minutes to see something that didn't even exist.

6. NuRF

NuRF Well-Known Member

I'm at the midnight screening tonight...posting here was gonna be the first thing I'd planned to do after.

7. JoMamma_Smurf

JoMamma_Smurf Master Member

I'd put my money on there being an after credits scene.

8. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

Your on^. Supposedly, it has a mid credits scene..and no after credits scene.

9. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

10. NuRF

NuRF Well-Known Member

Well, I enjoyed that. It's a different kind of dynamic then the first one. Definitely getting a couple of viewings out of me. No end credit scene, only the mid one.

n0regret5 likes this.
  11. jmgrice

jmgrice Well-Known Member

Spoilers***

Definitely a solid movie. Full of funnier jokes then the first one. However they may get tiring when watching for the umpteenth time as there's loads. Not an origin of the team so different from the original in so many ways. Really enjoyed it. It is all action. Pleased with WM content. All handled well I thought. Didnt see the 'kill' coming. Sat through it thinking hawkeye was going to get it lol. Visions bit with Mjolnir was perfectly set up with earlier scenes.

n0regret5 likes this.
  12. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Boycott in Germany!!! Several hundred movie theaters wont show AAoU because of Disneys new pricing policy. Especially small town movie theaters are hurt by the new pricing policy, they alr3ady have to striggle so why make it harder on them?!

AAoU was the ONE movie that i planned to see in a movie theater, I have been to the movies the last t8me over a year or so! And man did I spend m8ney on movie tickets in my life...

13. n0regret5

I've just got home from watching this and I have to say overall, effing awesome. Managing to fit in what they did was just incredible. So I'm gonna rattle off a few things, not necessarily in chronological order, just as they come to me. There shouldn't need to be a spoiler warning here but someone is bound to complain so.. SPOILER ALERT. BIG TIME. LIKE STORY TWISTS AND STUFF.

the new iron man suit is cool and all but there was no real obvious need or reason for it. The animation for it really bugged me, it seemed really poorly done.
    heck yes war machine makes a few appearances.
    quicksilver dying was a bit cheap. Kind of annoyed at that as he was just starting to get interesting, I guess scarlet witch does have a much bigger story arc in the comics so...
    hulk was effing amazing. Really really awesome. Mark Ruffalo is the best hulk and Bruce Banner ever.
    ultron looked amazing but he wasn't as humanity-destroyingly awesome as he was in the comics. More like a mentally unbalanced potentially dangerous person. Still.. He made the story.
    heck yes vision. Though in saying that his appearance was rushed and kind of disappointing. He's definitely not the same vision from the comics. and heck yes mind control gem in the staff, totally called it.
    HECK YES INFINITY GAUNTLET.
    I'm sure I'll add more to this but that will do for now!

oldhope001 likes this.
  14. jmgrice

jmgrice Well-Known Member

I don't like the new suit as much. Guessing it was to do with jarvis getting removed from the other one? I actually liked the mk 43. The extra red made all the difference. The hulkbuster fight was HILARIOUS!

oldhope001 and n0regret5 like this.
  15. glunark

glunark Sr Member

I didn't even notice the ironman suit was different.

Did not enjoy this as much as the original avengers, it just felt a bit soulless, a bit by the numbers, there were a few moments of Joss Wheldon wit, but the only thing I could compare it to was like watching serenity after seeing firefly, the characters where all there, but they didn't seem to be acting like we remembered them for the most part.

I took my wife to see this today, and I was due to take my kid to see it at the weekend while she is at work, but I am not sure he will sit through it without being bored in places, because I sure was.

I saw GOTG four times at the cinema, but I am not sure I would see this one even twice.

lovelyandy and teragon like this.
  16. CutThumb

CutThumb Sr Member

“No Spoilers.”

Poor Joss Whedon. I can see exactly why this film has nearly killed him. I think the demands of trying to weave together the movie he wanted to make with the one that Marvel needed from him must have put him in a terrible predicament at times. The result is still a very strong one , but occasionally you can see the awkward stitching.
    First off though it’s great fun and everything that you’d expect of a MCU movie as done by JW. And I do mean EVERYTHING!! It’s absolutely jammed to bursting point , so much so that they could have lengthened it a wee bit more . But believe me you can all relax about spoilers and the tiny amounts you’ve seen in the clips because they are just nothing in comparison to what’s stuffed in here with the story ,nothing at all!!!!!! What a cast!!!
    And you can also “forget” about the VFX because that’s an almost flawless process now (apart from the odd Hulk /Iron man shot), and there are action set pieces here that are truly stunningly heroic and I really DO mean that. I really loved the “Veronica” sequence!!!! Anyway it mostly looks brilliant and it roars off into dazzling combat from the word go. Very TESB like.
    But where do you go after that great beginning? What do you do once the parties over and the mind games begin? Well then, there’s the rub.
    It’s a typical Joss Whedon film. Trademark humour ,and tons of it , sharp dialogue and a cast working with each other like proper old mates. It’s a very well worthy Avengers sequel but its what has happened to the MCU since it came out that’s partly an issue . I recently watched Daredevil and most of the others in order , finishing off with the Winter Soldier last night. So I found the tone set by AOU felt slightly out of sync and some of the key relationships. It’s not Joss’s fault thats his directing style, and although it is darker and very much more character driven , its still a bit lighter than what’s come out since, and certain pieces were a little off because of them. I guess he wrote and filmed it whilst they were being completed.
    A lot of people have said AOU is the “The Empire Strikes Back“, which given the opening and the ending I can kind of see. But it isn’t. Truth be told it was “The Winter Soldier” that was the stunning game changer for me. And so AOU struggles a bit against that rather more robust and serious story style. Its just too funny sometimes and a little too dreamy. So I can see now why the Russo brothers are doing CA: Civil War and “Infinity ”.They 'll bring back that change in direction that’s probably necessary to nail the remaining stories. Now I’m not knocking Joss’s effort here at all as he succeeds brilliantly for a huge proportion of the story and he's had the vision and the stones to manage most of the difficult changes through to the end magnificently well.
    Anyway personal preferences aside I thought Ultron was an entertainingly sarcastic villain (though I thought the logic to his creation origin a tadd off) and with Spader’s voiceover he’s totally Tony Starks evil AI twin. Talking of twins they are both great early additions, particularly the Scarlet Witch, from which most of the stranger elements in the movie come. So some of the back stories you get slow things down and with the rest of the guest list being as epic as it is it flies less well than the Avengers , but then it needs to be the lead into phase three and I’ll be curious if none comic book fans will be overwhelmed by all this or not.
    “The Avengers” was a much simpler and successful movie because of the steady introduction of the characters into it from their own films so some storylines felt rather briefly shoe horned into AOU, just by way of an introduction. Marvel probably gave Joss Whedon one of the hardest pieces of work to do for any Marvel film that’s been released yet. They threw down the gauntlet and he has pretty well succeeded in taking it where they need to go, I can see why he deserves a hell of a holiday after this (and why he gave that icecream salute to Edgar Wright)!
    In summary neither Marvel or Joss have dropped the ball. It’s yet another great Marvel film, but finds itself up against some stiff MCU competition recently and might unfairly suffer a little by comparison. I’m going to need to see it a second time, just to pick up what I missed and I might shoot for 3D.
    Go see and enjoy. It really is excellent fun and spectacular.

PS: The audience really enjoyed the “Ant Man” trailer, it got as many laughs as “Minions” anyway. And NO Star Wars teaser trailer. Who would have guessed!

My top five so far : The Winter Soldier
    The Avengers
    Age of Ultron
    Iron Man
    Thor
    ("Guardians of the Galaxy" would have been top, but I don't feel it fits in with the rest of them just yet)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
    Bogleo, oldhope001 and n0regret5 like this.
  17. NuRF

NuRF Well-Known Member

We didn't get AntMan trailer at my screening, which I was disappointed with. They did, however, show the first Fantastic Four trailer, so that made it worse!

18. glunark

glunark Sr Member

Ant Man, minions, spooks, no star wars.

Half an hour of frigging adverts though.

19. CutThumb

CutThumb Sr Member

Yeah but some of those adverts were great!! I thought that Shell one was a trailer for a sci fi movie "Trashformers "!!! (And "Tomorrowland" looks excellent). Not too keen on a meercat movie though, but neither was Arnold by the look of it. Hope he can afford to get another cup of coffee soon.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  20. renaissance_man

renaissance_man Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Avengers: Age of Ultron. POST RELEASE *Potential Spoliers*

Joss Whedon did it again, producing another spectacular team up where every member gets their moment to shine, as you'd expect this is another very polished high production value film from team Marvel. With everything that is packed into this two and a half hour spectacular it is no wonder Joss Whedon needs a break, with a lot of location work and a large cast to wrangle it must have been an exhausting time for the writer director.

I don't want to the one to post spoilers, as I hate them myself and I wouldn't want an un-witting board member to accidentally click this thread and read something that could reveal a surprise (of which there are a few very nice moments).

Some of the characters who didn't see as much screen time in the Avengers Assemble get their back story filled out and it is film.

I saw this in IMAX 3D at Cardiff Bay today and was lucky enough to pick up one of the IMAX exclusive posters which is printed on a nice cardstock rather than the thinner poster sheet that the Guardians of the Galaxy one wsa printed on last year.

I LOVED Avengers: Age of Ultron, I will be going to see it going again next week.... and it probably won't be the last time either!

I hope you all enjoy the film.

BRILLIANT Post-credits scene!

21. karlsharples

karlsharples New Member

just got back from watching this. early on there was a lot for the eyes to take in and truly deserves multiple veiwings. the only thing that annoyed me was at the end cap didnt finish the line.

22. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

Just saw it,.....amazing,....The Vision is a great addition,....just so cool,.....I had worried he'd be like The Silver Surfer in FF2,.....too CG,....but no,....he looked brilliant,...

...gonna see it again

Next time I'll not wait till the very end,.... post credits,....theres only one scene, mid-credits

J

23. glunark

glunark Sr Member

Had a little think about the lack of the hulk in the final fight, and really what little Black Widow contributed to it too, and I wonder if that wasn't deliberate.

When Bruce wanted to flee with her before the final fight, and she pushed him off that ledge to be the hulk, what difference did they make, really?

Would it in fact had made any difference had they not have joined that fight?

Sure if they had not joined the pair of them may have felt guilty about what happened to quicksilver, but they were there and he still died, and the others more than handled their own.

She made him hulk out when really the hulk wasn't needed.

I think although the hulk probably enjoyed the fight, the part of his brain that was still Banner new if he ever wanted to not be the hulk again, he had to get away from Natasha.

n0regret5 likes this.
  24. NuRF

NuRF Well-Known Member

Didn't hulk stop Ultron from leaving on the Quin-jet though? And Black Widow needed the Hulk to get up on the rock in the first place.

n0regret5 likes this.
  25. glunark

glunark Sr Member

Maybe, I have already forgotten lots about the movie, which is a bad sign in itself.

But even if he had got away in the quinjet, the vision, ironman and Thor can fly anyway, he wouldn't have got far.

26. CutThumb

CutThumb Sr Member

Spoilers!!!!

Glunark ,I think you are pretty close with your first assessment .

The whole point of the "relationship" as written into the story seemed to be as a reason to get "rid" of the Hulk for phase three. I felt it came across as one of the weaker elements of the film, that and the inclusion and intervention of Fury. Alot of flack was generated at the series between Avengers and AOU as the rest of the Avengers NEVER came to the aid of eachothers when the chips were down. This seemed a very deliberate effort to change that.
    I'm a little confused as to why you think Natasha and Banner contributed little in the final fight? Banner is terrified of his "monster" self , given that civilian destruction he wrought in Africa. Code "Green" was a last resort, he hates and fears becoming the Hulk, and for good reason. Given Jeyls comments in the other thread about name calling, the fact that the Widow coldly kicks him into a pit to turn him into the monster he dreads being says more about the relationship and Natasha than words ever could. The fact he does what he did at the end shows he just didn't trust her NOT to manipulate him against his will. She knows just what she did at the end to drive him away and he removes himself from that dangerous equation. I think overall this is why this came across as a "different" Avengers. The focus was deliberately on Barton, Widow and the Hulk , which was good for their characters, but perhaps it will be not so popular with the fans. It crrtainly made for a slower more complex story, but given the players crammed into it,Joss did a pretty good job. Certainly he "thinned" the herd by the end and changed the team, which I thought a bold move. But given whats to come it had to be done.

27. hikarub

Saw the movie last night. I thought it was brilliant and really enjoyed it. The dream that Stark was shown was cool, though Cap's "You could've saved us" line was kind of awkward. I was happy to see Stellan Skarsgard reprise his role as Prof Selvig. Though they were mentioned, I was a little bit disappointed that we didn't get to see Pepper and Jane. Rhodey's story being met with blank stares from Stark and Thor was hilarious, as was Rhodey's satisfaction when he repeats the story to other guests and gets the desired reactions. Stan Lee's cameo was funny. The scenes and gags with Mjolnir were awesome:

Cap: "What if you put the hammer in an elevator and the lift goes up?"
    Stark: "Right, but it's not a person so is it worthy?"
    Thor: "Ah, how I will miss these talks, my friends."

Loved how it all set up for Infinity Wars.

I will try and see this movie again next week.

n0regret5 and virateck like this.
  28. Vivek

In midst of all the conflict and chaos Avengers: Age of Ultron still manages to have good fun & humor even when the stakes are high.

Thanks to Joss Whedon and team for another entertaining chapter in the Marvel saga. Will be seeing it again in few days.

And that slow motion surround shot of the group in action was freaking epic.

Riceball and n0regret5 like this.
  29. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

Yep,....got the goosebumps when that happened

J

30. n0regret5

Goosebumps ya that hulk v hulkbuster scene when they both punch and stuff goes boom. Yeeeaaahhhhhhhh.

31. SeattleMaddog

SeattleMaddog Active Member

I read elsewhere (sorry cannot remember where now) that Quicksilver has a multi-movie contract, so I'll be interested to see how that works for a dead hero.

32. SeattleMaddog

SeattleMaddog Active Member

Overall I thought this was a very good movie but as a few people have pointed out there are a number of scenes that are only there to set up the next phase of films. Some are little jarring but others are woven nicely into the fabric of the movie. I particularly liked the building tension between Cap and Stark throughout the film that will crescendo in Civil War.

Ant-man trailer looked good, and we got the Star Wars trailer as a bonus.

33. glunark

glunark Sr Member

Saw it again, my opinion remains that it was too long and the pacing was off, we could have lost all the scenes at the safe house, and at least one of the montages, and the dreams could have been shorter too, and the party.

It felt like Joss was too attached to everything he had filmed to want to snip bits out of it.

34. teragon

teragon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ok, I'm just out of a Phase 2 marathon, starting with avengers 1 and ending with AoU, so I'm rather tired, although very glad of the experience, ans I wanted to give my thoughts before I sleep on it. When the credit rolled, at first I didn't know what to think, and it's still a bit confusing to me now, but overall I don't think I liked it that much.
    Seeing all the prior movies before might have hurt my apprehension of the movie, but I thought it wasn't as fun as avengers 1, despite the very good jokes here and there, especially when GotG was shown just before and was just pure fun. The "seriousness" note they tried to inject was far outmatched by TWS, didn't care much for the romantic relationship elements, too much focus on them for my taste.
    Ultron was...weird. Not what I expected, He was not this driven AI I thought he would be, he was more like a confused mental patient. And they could have make him so much more threatening with Spader's voice, it's a shame.
    For now, I'd say Whedon should have kept it simpler, it worked very well for the first one. I'll see how I feel after a good night sleep, but I give it a 6/10

35. Vivek

When compared to The Avengers, the charm of the team being together seems lacking in Age of Ultron and that was likely expected and intended.

The team is vulnerable and in duress, so despite some lighthearted moments we're made to reflect on that lingering sense of despair more often.

Joss Whedon's initial cut was over 3 hours long, with more character moments especially of Scarlet Witch & Quicksilver and with more Black Widow backstory. I am keen on watching that extended cut and to know whether trimming of the scenes helped or hurt the movie.

Captain America is my favourite Avenger and though he had his moments, definitely felt he could have gotten some more screen time. Hawkeye got some of the best lines this time and it was good to see his character being highlighted.

Riceball, Banner and torren_of_amber like this.
  36. teragon

teragon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well, I slept on it, and thought about it, and unfortunately my opinion did not improve. It had really cool action shots, cool lines, but that's it. The story just didn't flow right for me, Ulron is pale shadow of what he could have been, really didn't care for the Banner/natasha thing, Hawkeye family thing was nice but took too much screen time, the ending was weird, we all know Stark will be back for Civil War... The stakes were supposed to be high, global extinction of the human race, but it just didn't feel that way.
    I'll go see it again, in a while, to make sure, Marvel movies usually are light hearted fun or more recently with cap have kind of a good gravitas. This one had not enough of both these things. I think this is actually my least favorite movie of the phase 2.

37. Goonie

Goonie Sr Member

38. glunark

glunark Sr Member

Re: Avengers: Age of Ultron (Pre-release)

We have a post release thread for spoilers, you are wrong about friday, and why couldn't you see the mid credits scene?

39. fainche

fainche New Member

I'm supposed to watch it yesterday but because I got busy in doing different stuff. I didn't watch anymore.
    Hopefully this coming weekend.

40. Vivek

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  41. Father

Father Sr Member

I didn't know there's a post-release. I always thought the mods just changed the pre-release thread to post when they hit the theaters.
    What was F.R.I.D.A.Y. then? I thought it was the AI for the satellite. It didn't seem very clear.

42. Father

Father Sr Member

Just finished watching it. It was awesome...
    Serious spoilers.... don't read if you don't want to know.

1. Starts out fast paced... right into battle fighting their way into Baron Strucker's fortress to retrieve the staff from the first movie.
    2. Quicksilver dies... lameness. I was really hoping it would be War Machine. He was shot by Ultron when he runs to save Hawkeye.
    3. Banner and Romanov kiss. They have a slowly starting romance.
    4. Banner ditches out after the battle is over in a quinjet while in stealth mode.
    5. Linda Cardellini plays Hawkeye's wife
    6. The mystery Asian woman from the trailer is Dr. Helen Cho... her role is pretty integral to the story since her "Regeneration Cradle" is used to build Vision.
    7. Sta Lee's cameo is as a WWII vet... that gets wasted on some of Thor's hooch.
    8. The team knows The Vision is good... when he picks up Thor's hammer.
    9. Movie ends with a new team assembled at a new Avengers HQ in upstate NY: Cap, Widow, War Machine, Scarlet Witch, Vision, Falcon
    10. The scene in the trailer of Thor coming out of a pool is him being shown a vision that involves being shown the Infinity Stones.
    11. Hulkbuster armor is launched from an orbital satellite called F.R.I.D.A.Y. (don't know what it stands for). It also comes with spare parts. I guess Stark anticipated that Hulk would be tearing it apart during the fight. Ultimately Stark wins the fight.
    12. I think any rumors of Red Hulk are based on Scarlet Witch's spell on his which makes his eyes red (opinion)
    13. The settings are all over the place.
    14. Vision looks like a young Peter Weller.
    15. I wasn't able to see an end scene but based on the IMDb cast credits, it shows Thanos since Josh Brolin is listed as Thanos.
    16. Didn't see anything that hinted at Black Panther aside from location.

Overall I enjoyed it. It was long though and I don't think it had the same pace that the first movie did. The Avengers theme music from the first movie was kept.
    I'll definitely see it again.

43. glunark

glunark Sr Member

No, two separate threads. I guess if the film had opened everywhere at the same time then one would have been fine.

Veronica was name for the hulkbuster armour, Banner helped design it.

Friday was a backup AI for Ironman's suit after Jarvis was downloaded completely into Vision.

44. Father

Father Sr Member

I agree the pacing/flow definitely wasn't as seamless as the first movie.
    I thought the safehouse thing was setting us up for the major tragedy Hawkeye dying in battle. I think I read how Renner was * about not having more of a story in the previous movie. That element of this movie felt shoe horned in.

How some of the "prime" members go their separate ways and are replaced by the second-stringers felt a little weird too... Like a dine-and-dash at a really expensive restaurant.

I'll definitely be seeing it again though.

45. Vivek

Yeah we do that for most movie threads which had only couple of pages of pre-release discussion. Movies (especially big franchise ones) which had several pages of existing pre-release discussion, tend to get a separate post-release thread.

46. Father

Father Sr Member

i didn't catch the Veronica name explanation or F.R.I.D.A.Y. Any idea what that was an acronym for?

I haven't been watchin Agents of SHIEL lately. Any chance Fury's acquisition of the helo carrier from "an old friend" was a crossover reference? If not they definitely wasted that opportunity. Could have somehow been worked into a episode to link to the movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

47. glunark

glunark Sr Member

Tony picked the Friday AI from a bunch of different ones, I didn't see the names, but its possible there was one for each day of the week, or it could simply be a shout out to the film "my girl friday"

48. kegas76

kegas76 Well-Known Member

Well that probably could have been in a spoiler tag...

Anyways, we still have one more episode before the U.S. premiere. We have recently seen the appearance of a SHIELD aircraft carrier named the Illiad. The show does not mention that it is a helicarrier but appearently that name was used for a helicarrier atleast one point in the comics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicarrier

Oh, I just read a bit further down on the wikipedia page,

As Whedon has implied there is no tie in between M:AoS and the films at this point I'd imagine it's just a nod toward Fury stealing them in the comics.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  49. asemblyrequired

asemblyrequired Well-Known Member

Just finished watching it online and it was pretty good . Vision was my favorite by far . the characters where good all around .

-James

50. hikarub

Hey, your number 11 is actually:

11. - VERONICA, that's the name of the system for the Hulkbuster armor launched from the satellite. F.R.I.D.A.Y. is the female-voiced interface that Tony uses in his Mark XLV armor later.

and...
    15. - Yes, the mid-credit scene shows Thanos retrieving his gauntlet (sans gems) and saying that he'll just have to do everything himself.

Stan Lee's cameo was hilarious.