Yeah, latex is used to blend latex and foam latex appliances. the best thing to blend silicone would be silicone in some cases but probably a better option would be to use thickened prosaid. Baldies is great too, as I said before.

I've been using Skin Tite by smooth on for appliances and it's great! It can be put directly on the skin too and cures quick. If you run the piece in skin tite from your mold, you can apply it with AND blend with more skin tite silicone rubber. Great stuff!

Where are you located sir?

That I don't know for sure as I haven't used dragon skin... As far as I know, the dragon skin takes a while to cure... Meaning that putting it directly on your face as a blending agent will take forever to cure and I don't even know that it's safe for direct skin contact before curing... Skin Tite is made to be applied directly to the skin and is personally my first choice.

Now why hasn't anyone commented on this pic yet! :lol This is literally an avatar just begging to happen. And no, I'm not talking about the movie Avatar. There's like a little bit of Borat going on here. HIGH FIVE!

IMG_0425.jpg

thank you muchly, i appreciate the advice.
I ordered some liquid latex, but thats ok. im sure ill find a use for that in future :D
Ill have to see where i can get some of this baldies stuff :D

hmmm done some reading, it seems smooth-on sells "thi-vex" which is a thickener for silicone.
pretty cheap stuff, and since i have plenty of dragonskin, i think that might work nicely!

No. Don't do that. Dragon Skin is not designed to be safe on human skin in its uncured form. There are many silicones that are, but unless something has changed in the Dragon Skin chemical makeup, it is not and can do some harm if you apply it to your skin wet.

This is why it was a big deal when they came out with body double. Skin safe.

thank you muchly, i appreciate the advice.
I ordered some liquid latex, but thats ok. im sure ill find a use for that in future :D
Ill have to see where i can get some of this baldies stuff :D

hmmm done some reading, it seems smooth-on sells "thi-vex" which is a thickener for silicone.
pretty cheap stuff, and since i have plenty of dragonskin, i think that might work nicely!

Thi-vex works GREAT!! you only need four tiny drops per ounce and it makes the silicone so thick you can stick it on a wall without it drooping down.
Get the pint it'll last ya forever.

Dragon skin is a platinum cure and as such is safe for skin use, skin tite is just the same but with a softening and thickening agent added. there is a brand new dragon skin called fx pro with a quicker cure time out now which is great stuff. also platgel 10 is a brilliant prosthetic silicone and well worth trying. its tin cure silicones you need to be careful of on the skin as a rule of thumb platinum cure are safe to use hence the abundance of on skin build up silicones. even the body double is just a platinum cure silicone that just has a rapid cure time due to accelorators.

wow thanks for that detailed info piehead!

started using a little bit of tint in the silicone to help when it comes time to paint/makeup.
this one is untrimmed fresh from the mold.
IMG_0533.jpg

If i end up with any spares, ill probably offer them up fairly cheap.

Wow this looks really great so far. With proper application and airbrushing I imagine it will be something truly stunning. Great start on this, I am looking forward to more.

Nice work!
I am considering doing an Avatar as well...I'd very like to do the native look, but that means full body paint, which no doubt's gonna be both time consuming and expensive. Nice to see that someone has already approached this costume, your prosthetic looks stunning!

Make sure to post pictures of the finished results!

awesome prosthetic, I will probably be doing the same thing this Halloween. Any chance you can show me the link to the thread were you learned to make the cast of your face?

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back