Asteroid City - (yet) unnamed prop

More references:
I just found another clip from the movie that shows the prop in action, with a new pattern.

And from another "Making of" clip, I captured this image, showing some models and a photo of the prop.

vlcsnap-2023-06-15-13h30m02s230.png

The electronics is much more work that I thought. In particular the fact that I need EIGHT of the LED PCBs.
But now, I finished the PCB that has the Arduino Pro Mini, and I finished two of the LED boards.
I wrote some test code, and to my surprise, it works!

IMG_20230620_233658271ed.jpg
IMG_20230620_233519565ed.jpg

Last edited:
These are the patterns seen in the "Thanks a lot, Ricky" clip.
The left one is blinking three times and then the right one is blinking once.
They are on for approx. 2/3sec and off for approx 1/3sec.

np2.jpg
np1.jpg

Last edited:
By the way - for those people in London, there's an exhibition of Asteroid City costumes and props and stuff happening:

I haven't been yet, but the 180 Studios exhibit on Isle of Dogs was truly spectacular.

1687451992346.png

I'll be going to the exhibition in a week or so if there's anything folks want me to take snapshots of.

I was at the exhibition yesterday (it is excellent)

I filmed this clock for a couple of minutes. Was looking for a repeat but didn't see one.

Thank you so much for sharing this! It seems they are using purely random patterns - sometimes this leads to empty digits, as we can see in your video. This is what I intended to do before learning more (I will not watch the movie before finishing the prop).

Yes!!! I finished all of the remaining LED boards. After inserting the TPIC 6B595M shift register ICs, I checked each board. One had a bad LED (and I really checked all 48 LEDs before - maybe it did not survive the soldering). But now, that LED is replaced, and everything is ready for the final assembly.
[technical details: 5V Vcc is provided through the wire at the top || the yellow and blue cables are for data in & out for the shift registers || the 4-wide connector at the bottom passes the connections for GND, Enable, Clock, and Latch from board to board]

IMG_20230624_200307418ed.jpg

Now, everything is assembled (and no, I'm not aiming for a price for "prettiest assembly").

IMG_20230627_151020183ed.jpg
IMG_20230627_151122081ed.jpg

Before watching the movie, I can only rely on light patterns that I saw in the clips on the web. So, I programmed the Arduino to display random light patterns (as in the trailer), randomly between 12 and 30 times, and then once the "alarm/warning" pattern (from the "Thanks a lot, Ricky" clip).

I took the finished unit to various places in town to take these photos.

DSC01850.jpg
DSC01862.jpg
DSC01878.jpg

A video clip is in preparation.

Nice work! A couple snapshots of the prop from the exhibition.

It's interesting how it had totally anachronistic milky white LEDs, but since it's never shown in closeup you don't know that.

I could post others if anyone's interested. So-so movie but magnificent design with gorgeous props, sets, and models!
33.jpg
11.jpg

22.jpg

Nice work! A couple snapshots of the prop from the exhibition.

It's interesting how it had totally anachronistic milky white LEDs, but since it's never shown in closeup you don't know that.

I could post others if anyone's interested. So-so movie but magnificent design with gorgeous props, sets, and models!
Thank you so much!
This is interesting. These LEDs seem to be larger than 'regular' 5mm LEDs - most likely 8mm (as I assumed in my built).
However, since previously I only heard about clear 8mm LEDs (the 'straw hat' type), I used those.
But now, when I search for "8mm LEDs, diffuse, white", I find those too, at amazon and aliexpress - like these:
1688398246326.png

or the second one from the left here:
1688398414773.png

However, now it's too late (for me) - but if someone else wants to build it, I would recommend using the 'frosted' ones.
At least, in my video it looks good enough because of the camera sensor's response.

Yeah, it looks like the ones in the film have the brightness of the LEDs turned down a bit so you don't have the lens flare effect around each one.

Maybe you could mask the panel and spray the LEDs with a clear matte finish. “Transparent” white paint is probably too opaque.
Hmmm.... not sure....
Of course, you are right that this could improve the appearance.
And if I really wanted to do that, I could still relatively easily remove the modules - so masking would not be an issue.
But I'm very hesitant. It's so easy to make it worse.
I need to think about this...

Well, it's easy to test on an unused LED. And if you don't like it, isopropanol would get the clearcoat off.

Funny: When I started this, based on the trailer, I really expected this prop to play a larger role. And I expected that from the movie we would learn more about its patterns and their meaning. Well, but that did not happen. It's still a 'mysterious' thing. It also means that I did not get any input on how to possibly modify the light patterns.
And the dialogue is still true:
"What do those pulses indicate?"
"What? Oh, the beeps and the blips? We don't know."

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back