Assassin's Creed Black Flag - Schooner (from concept art)

mikoyan99

Another (fairly) quick project - thought i'd have a go at an 18th century pirate ship. I've been playing assassin's creed: black flag recently, and I thought some of the concept art from that would be a good starting point.
d3f2dbadf4f68a51b70b569e127d0653.jpg
uEHRDHv.jpg
rLJqqIa.jpg
LiiqceT.jpg
It's based on an old hull I had a lying around (wood, plank-on-frame) from many years ago. It was in quite a sorry state, so i've sanded it down and re-painted it - but kept it fairly rough around the edges to help with the weathering. I'm about 80% done - just waiting on the rigging blocks and pins to arrive.
-Matt

Thanks :) I think it's shame they didn't follow their concept art more closely - there's a few anachronisms, but generally it's quite a good example of an 18th century pirate "ship".

I've sorted the standing rigging, and made a start on the running:

expbCHu.jpg

I haven't added the ratlines on mine - you wouldn't need them with this rig. All of the sails can be hoisted and controlled from the deck - if you needed to climb the mast, you'd climb the lacing or use a bosun's chair.
-Matt

Fore and mainsail sorted:
5Pq5osj.jpg
maJSePA.jpg
Nearly there - just the headsails and little bits like flags/guns/anchors to sort. I'm leaving the fore and main topsails off, as i've never found any evidence they existed at this point.
-Matt

And pretty much finished:
A8Sl0lY.jpg

0QnI1jX.jpg

ZUXIzri.jpg

Iv0o3ni.jpg

I'm still undecided about the gaff topsails - they look cool in the concept art, but they're not authentic to the period. I'll leave them off for the time being.
-Matt

A quick update - I added square topsails to make the vessel more authentic:
W3FvcZr.jpg

YFNbmdQ.jpg

PDaDNv4.jpg

37GYET7.jpg

She's quite close now to a vessel found off of Madagascar a few years ago, Christopher Condent's sloop* Fiery Dragon

*she is schooner rigged - but sloop would have been the term used at the time.

-Matt

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back