ASM1 - Amazing Spider-Man 1 suit project

Antoine Andries

Hello everyone,

I have been looking on the RPF for a while now, searching for tips and tricks, and I think I can handle it to start my own project now. I have had my print and paint in my possession for over a month now, but due to school and work, I haven't been able to start untill now.

I will use the TaylorMcManus-print, and for the hexagones, spiders, and all the other lines, I will use the puffy paint- technique from MCL34N.

I am starting this thread since it is actually my very first cosplay project and I don't want to fail. So any extra advice would be really appreciated.

20141224_115301.jpg
This will be my "workspace" (just a foldable table in my room), but it'll do, I guess.
I'm planning on using the black clips to attach my print to a cardboard pannel so I have a straight surface for the puffy painting.

If anyone has anything to say, any suggestions or whatever, feel free to comment.

Kind regards, and thanks a lot,

Antoine

Last edited:
Good luck ! My tips : take your time with the puffy ;)
I've made a Taylor McManus also, you can check on my thread

Here a picture of my suit
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419441872.571071.jpg

Jeck13500

Thanks for the encouragement, and I'm planning on taking my time for the painting, I want it to be as good as possible (possible by me).

And I know about your suit, it's one of the many I have been looking at, and really, I admire your puffy painting work, it's amazing to say the least. How long did it take you to make your suit? I haven't really sey a deadline for myself, since school is in between and I don't know how much I'll be able to do form day to day, but I'll see :D

Last edited:
Thanks for the encouragement, and I'm planning on taking my time for the painting, I want it to be as good as possible (possible by me).

And I know about your suit, it's one of the many I have been looking at, and really, I admire your puffy painting work, it's amazing to say the least. How long did it take you to make your suit? I haven't really sey a deadline for myself, since school is in between and I don't know how much I'll be able to do form day to day, but I'll see :D

thank you ! the full puffy took me one month, with a lot of hours by days ^^

hey I need to get a pattern file for the asm 1 ... only the best pattern file and please link me to get the other things necessary like the lenses and stuff please thank you

thank you ! the full puffy took me one month, with a lot of hours by days ^^

Ok thanks, so, taking all the other things into account, I think I might be ready with my whole suit by easter or something.. school takes way too much time :/

hey I need to get a pattern file for the asm 1 ... only the best pattern file and please link me to get the other things necessary like the lenses and stuff please thank you

Hmmm, well, the best print is a MCL34N, but good luck finding one (that is payable), and on the second hand, MCL34N only sells his prints, never his files.
I, myself, would buy a McManus' (https://sellfy.com/p/1Z2l/), and you can get it printed on FabricOnDemand. For the lenses, I am going to buy TJack's, he has a thread on here somewhere. You'll also need puffy paint (if you want to give it a good texture), I recommend buying Tulip Slick. And the shoes you'll need are Asics Dirt Dog 3.

Last edited:
I got a little question about the puffy painting, there are like these 2 major options to do it.

Option 1 : Puffy painting the webbing and later the hexagones
Jeck13500.jpg Like Jeck's suit.

Or option 2 : puffy painting the hexagones, and later do the webbing lines.
10561797_730252273733742_761188528700567142_n.jpgLike Todd Whalen is doing his ASM2 suit.

What option do you all think is the best?
(I prefer option 1)

Antoine

Last edited:
Option 2. The weblines will just get in the way of doing the hexagons (from my own experience).

Yup, I prefer doing hexagons first, and then when those are all done, do the webbing last.

Hmm, yeah, you guys are right, but I don't know, there's just something about the screen accuracy, option 1 looks way more like the movie if you look at it closely,
I don't care about puting in extra work, I just wonder if, with the right amount of skill, it is possible not to ***** up the suit...
amazing-spider-man-2-synopsis1.jpg

Anyway, to talk about a whole other subject. Today I've made some "progress", or what you can call progress. I've started going back to the gym again to get the Spidey physique. Since I'm already quite muscly (and slim), there shouldn't be any problem there, eitherway, a bit of gym never killed anybody.
I don't know when I'm really getting started on the suit itself, I kinda lack time at the moment, but well, I'll see :D

It makes no difference in the final look. Option 1 and 2 will look the same in the end, but 2 is easier.

If you really want accuracy, then you'll need to be screen printing your hexagons.

Ok, yeah, that looks epic aswell.
But you stopped with drawing the hexagones at the edges. Todd is drawing a whole layer, and over that the webbing, that is the difference I think.
Btw, whose print, lenses and faseshell are those? :D

I stopped at the edges because that's how the print was designed. Todd's suit is from Amazing Spider-Man 2, not 1, so his looks different.

The Amazing Spider-Man 1 suit has a gap between the honeycomb and web line. Example.

Ok, yeah, that looks epic aswell.
But you stopped with drawing the hexagones at the edges. Todd is drawing a whole layer, and over that the webbing, that is the difference I think.
Btw, whose print, lenses and faseshell are those? :D

It's a Taylor Mcmanus and Asm 2 McLean set, same as my suit.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420048453.640467.jpg

Jeck13500

Hi everyone, so, I have to admit, to my great shame I haven't even started this project. Due to the fact I moved and I didn't have time/space to work. I really want to start now, and since I haven't done anything like this, I'd like to start small.
So I'd like to start painting the mask.
Help.png
Problem, I really don't see how to put it together afterwards. If anybody could help me, I'd be forever grateful. I've been breaking my had over this the past 2 days. I know putting everything together is far off, but I don't want to paint some lines double, so yeah.

So, between school in, I started doing some painting. I am actually kinda happy with how it looks. (Yes, I did make the mistake of doing the black first, lesson learned for next parts.)
11998467_532988873520398_1988390338_n.jpg
Anyone any idea if I'm painting the right things? I think there is no need of painting the hexagones that aren't cornered by 4 black lines, am I correct?
Since I still haven't got any clue of how to put the mask together, anyone an instruction? :D

Antoine

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back