Armor - Attach belt to chestplate

FrontaLittle

I built this dwarf armor a while ago and after the first Con, I noticed some flaws in the armor build. The belt, if closed really tight, pulls on the front ridge of the chestplate, causing the worbla and EVA to bend and cause a dent where the belt buckle sits.

I was thinking about attaching the belt to the chestplate similar to how Star Wars Stormtrooper belts are attached to the abdomen plate via buttons but given the weight of the belt I don't think those buttons will do the trick. Screws going all the way through belt and chestplate could be a solution but then I need to reinforce the screws' holes with maybe washers to prevent them from ripping.

Any tips or totally different approaches from you guys ?

If you're not familiar with Stormtrooper builds, here's how the buttons are positioned on the abdomen plate to hold the belt (by TrooperMaster)

Not a big fan of velcro, even the industrial strength velcro sometimes uses crappy adhesive and I don't think it's gonna stick well on the fuzzy side of the leather belt that faces towards the armorplate anyways.

Not a big fan of velcro, even the industrial strength velcro sometimes uses crappy adhesive and I don't think it's gonna stick well on the fuzzy side of the leather belt that faces towards the armorplate anyways.

No sure if I can help you with the strapping situation but this can ease your mind on the Velcro a bit. If you were to attach anything to leather use shoo goo Boots and Gloves. That stuff holds very well. I used it on my captain america Straps. Basically scuff up the area on the belt, take Velcro (the sewing kind without adhesive) and use the goo according to the directions. Clamp and leave overnight.

I can't recommend it enough for that situation. It'll probably work on the worbla too.

Instead of some of the stormtrooper snaps, you can use leather snaps which hold MUCH STRONGER, and can be a bit of a pain to un-snap, but if your point is to hold it on, get yourself some line24 snaps. You can attach them to a piece of fabric, leather, plastic, then attach that to the belt with glue, epoxy, etc.

You guys really want me to use that velcro, hm ? I never thought about using additional glue to attach the velcro but I might give this a try. From what I remember, shoegoo is kinda like a tougher E6000, so I might try that first.
On the snaps: The armor is one layer of worbla black on top of 10mm EVA foam so I'd have to punch the snaps all the way through which would bend and squeeze the armor around the snap. That's why I initially considered screws but I wasn't sure how they'd move and possibly tear the hole they're in when the belt pulls sideways.
Think I'll go with velcro after all, I'm gonna keep you guys posted on the progress. Thanks for all the ideas.

On the snaps, you don't push the snap through your belt or armor. You attach it to a separate piece and glue that piece to the belt / armor.

How it is done on a stormtrooper.
IMG_4811.JPG

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back