Are these the D-Rings we've been looking for?

How do you guys feel about the D-Rings being used on the leather belts, which have a clip to hold onto the lightsabers, of Obi-Wan and Luke's costumes ... would they have come from the same vintage source?

-Chaim

It doesn't make much sense to tear apart a camera case for such a simple part and the metal strip part is wrong on the case even if bent over.

That's why I only took pictures and haven't taken the D-Rings of the camera case ... yet. Why do you think that metal strip part is wrong anyways?

-Chaim

I grabbed one of these myself off of the bay a couple of weeks back. Chaim's is a far closer match than mine though.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

This one turned out to be brass plated, as you can see. Also the clip is more stylized. The ring itself is also about .01" smaller than the ones on his case.

Still, the plating polishes off, and the clip is pretty easy to reshape. It's going to look great on the bottom of my Luke "ANH" saber...unless I can can talk Chaim out of one of his (yeah right!), which I am pretty well convinced are the real deal.

These things are pretty hard to come by without a SW connection though. Something to keep in mind.

I think it's far more likely that they just used D-ring brackets like these:
Tandy Leather Factory - Clip with 3/4" (1.9 cm) Dee 10/pk
It doesn't make much sense to tear apart a camera case for such a simple part and the metal strip part is wrong on the case even if bent over.

Yes, why wouldn't it make sense? They probably had a bunch of old camera gear lying around. I mean they used a Graflex flash afterall, and it's not too far fetched that a camera case was lying around that may have been falling apart for them to grab the D-ring. Remember in the 70's this stuff was already around 30 years old so they probably treated them as junk. I don't think anyone has seen the real metal clip either so we don't know for sure if it's the wrong one.

Indeed Jerome very true. Also I'd like to add that for other props i.e. the macrobinoculars many vintage film camera's were used as well for their bits and parts and those originally came with leather cases each of them holding several D-Rings too which could have been used by the prop- or costume makers at the time.

-Chaim

but old cases were not only for cameras,seems I will take a look at old cases on fleamarkets,and maybe find some good D rings or rusty tri ring

holy quest achieved?

Hi Patrice,

No thegreatgalling wisely pointed out to me that we still have to find the real screen-accurate plastic T-track which obviously was so abundantly available for the propmakers of Bapty . . . yet quite impossible for us to track down ... get it ... track down :lol

-Chaim

Is there anyone who can confirm or dismiss if the Luke ANH lightsaber in this exhibition in the London Film Museum May 2011 is the screen-used or a replica made by one of us with a real vintage graflex 3 Cell or perhaps even a replica produced by Icons (Check the Obi-Wan ANH for that assumption) :

Hollywood Movie Costumes and Props: Lightsaber props from Star Wars on display... Original film costumes and props on display

This is a picture from that exhibition :

lukeskywalkerlightsaberprop.jpg~original

Also is there a larger high res picture of this
Luke to get a better view of the D-ring?

LukeD-Ring.jpg~original

Still looking for better pictures of the D-Ring perhaps a screengrab from a BluRay when Luke just looks briefly straight into the emitter before he ignites it or when he is swinging the lightsaber on his indexfinger after he received it from Ben. If anyone can help out with those, it would be much appreciated.

-Chaim

Last edited:
WEll if its screen used, its been taken apart and put back together as the clamp/bubble strip is on the wrong side.

That's an Icons on display. It's way too clean, doesn't say Graflex on the clamp, and it has chrome tape under the bubble lens.
PS- I just clicked the link. All of those Lightsabers are Icons replicas.

Thanks for clearing that up Chris ... I already had a hunch they were Icons but since I don't own anyone of their replicas ... I wasn't quite certain.

Remains the matter of screengrabs from ANH BluRay ... is there any one who could get the ones being requested in post #33 :confused

-Chaim

As I said to Chaim,
When doubt exists,there is still 50% that we could find a real energy cell and not a 70's sink knob on the original obiwan saber,and maybe the emitter doesn't come from a derwent,but from a subluminic speed engine,maybe mandalorian or from naboo?

^ :lol

Thanks John ... you're right it's all about the thrill of the quest, however don't expect all of the prop mystery to be solved ... not with episode VII on our doorstep ha,ha,ha,ha!

-Chaim

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back