Apple stole my Badge!!!! (BladeRunner)

According to Apple, they're just providing a link to the icons as a "courtesy." It's the vendor, a company called "Daniel Pimley," that's lifted your work.

But, that said, WTF?. :angry

Holy (electric) sheep. :confused

Doc,

Sorry to be the solitary voice of dissent, but while I sympathize with your initial knee-jerk reaction, I can't justify your righteous indignation. Allow me to explain: while I agree that you produced that particular design, it *was* in fact a copy of one that had been sold on eBay previously, and I doubt anybody can "own" an LAPD badge design or the copyrighted "Blade Runner 26354."

Here are examples of two that predate (not to mention directly inspired) your project:

dekardbadge.jpg
rep-detect%20badge.jpg

Besides, in the current badge interest list/project thread, I unfortunately don't see anywhere in there that you're credited by its originators:

http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=103777

Personally, I think your badge should have at least been credited as the inspiration for the new run, but here too nobody asked your permission nor should have had to, since you "retired" the edition, to borrow a Blade Runner term. ;) Besides, let's get real here: Apple is only offering a desktop icon, not a real badge... And finally, who knows where the image was originally lifted from? Perhaps eBay? The photographer probably had no clue who created it and he's very likely clueless about prop replicas in general, or else he wouldn't have used an inaccurate Doppleganger PKD or a fantasy badge for those desktop icons... :p For that matter, who really believes Apple got permission from Warner Brothers or The Blade Runner Group to use images of Blade Runner bootleg props? :lol Did anyone download the icon set yet? I don't have a Mac, and I'd be curious to know what else is in the set. Perhaps one of Mick Guy's replica origami chickens or a bronze opium duck? :lol

Try and think of it positively: now all Mac users who download the font will want to own a Dr. S Blade Runner badge and PKD, therefore increasing the resale value of yours (since I doubt the new run can be based on a pre-9/11 LAPD badge), and hopefully providing Rich with more C&S eBay sales. :)

This isn't exactly bad publicity, you know. :D

Just trying to put things in the proper perspective and find the silver lining...

- Gabe

The blaster looks like a PKD2 from Rick Ross/Doppleganger, and the origami looks like Tom's. The badge, I don't know much about those.

I would agree that your beef should be with Daniel Pimley. But if you contact apple and let them know Pimley probably does not own those images, they will likely remove them.
Njc--------------

It amazes me that somebody who is obviously smart enough to put together a pretty spiffy website would be so oblivious as to believe novody would own those images. :confused

Bruce

Originally posted by Noeland@Jan 29 2006, 01:40 AM
I would agree that your beef should be with Daniel Pimley. But if you contact apple and let them know Pimley probably does not own those images, they will likely remove them.

From Apple's "Blade Runner Icons" page:

Apple is providing links to these applications as a courtesy, and makes no representations regarding the applications or any information related thereto. Any questions, complaints or claims regarding the applications must be directed to the appropriate software vendor.

You can try going to Apple, but my guess is they'll tell you to talk to Pimley. On the other hand, as Noeland suggests, Apple may remove the images in the interim, pending resolution of the dispute.

If you want to register a complaint, you might as well do so with both Apple and Pimley, no?

I'd be surprised if there was much that could actually be done, but I definitely know how you feel. I had a similar situation occur a few years ago.

When the movie 'Equilibrium' first came out in the theaters, there were literally NO websites for it. So this chick starts a fansite (which has become basically the official UNofficial Equilibrium site. The director of the movie (Kurt Wimmer) actually corresponds with her). In the beginning, she didn't really have any content, so I took my pirated copy of the film, made some screencaps, & did a bunch of graphics for her (she got a lot of her jpegs from me, & I made about a half a dozen wallpapers). One of them, I created from 3 different screencaps, then I transcribed & added the text. My sig is at the lower righthand corner.

Anyway, about 6 months later, she e-mails me, & says she just bought an 'Equilibrium' handbill (advertising flyer) off of E-bay, that came from Thailand. She said she thought I might find it interesting:

Check out the third inset pic from the left.

They used my wallpaper to sell tickets to their movie.

In a perfect world, somebody would owe me some money imo.

Originally posted by Nexus6@Jan 28 2006, 12:53 PM
In a perfect world, somebody would owe me some money imo.
[snapback]1170436[/snapback]​

Not to be too much of a smartass, but be careful wishing for that "perfect world"... you mention that you took the original screencaps off of a pirated copy of the film. :D

- k

Originally posted by phase pistol@Jan 28 2006, 02:33 PM
Not to be too much of a smartass, but be careful wishing for that "perfect world"... you mention that you took the original screencaps off of a pirated copy of the film. :D

- k
[snapback]1170467[/snapback]​
Dude, I meant MY perfect world. Duh?. ;) :lol :D

Originally posted by Prop Runner@Jan 28 2006, 11:06 AM
Did anyone download the icon set yet?  I don't have a Mac, and I'd be curious to know what else is in the set.  Perhaps one of Mick Guy's replica origami chickens or a bronze opium duck? :lol
[snapback]1170294[/snapback]​

The icon "set" is just those three. Not much of a set.
I don't see the big deal about a few fan made icons. It's not like Apple made them or really has anything to do with them. It's just another case of internet image theft between two individuals.
Maybe the guy actually owns those things? Or was it your photo of your own prop?

I think Dr. Strangelove should assert his authority to the badge design: MAKE ANOTHER RUN OF THEM.

Just a thought on the matter.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back