Immortan Joe Progress Log - 3d Models, W.I.P. photos, and Con Results!

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Ein, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Ein

Ein Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

DOWNLOADS SECTION

I'm updating the OP to organize some of the 3d models I have made throughout the thread. I'm making all of these files available on principle, for all those hundreds of times I have seen someone working on something on TheRPF who isn't willing to share. I figured I should put my money where my mouth is, and hope that it encourages future posters and makers to share their own works more freely.

IMMORTAN JOE BADGES / MEDALS

These badges have been recreated from the stills and reference images I have been able to grab from the movie. They may not be 100% accurate on details or scaling, but they are as close as I am * well able to get them for screen accuracy purposes, and I've done a lot of work to try and make them look the part.

0Cg8wd5l.jpg

8rIjWVNl.jpg

And the top bars for the ones that need them!

dnDEdG2h.jpg

'EAGLE' MEDAL DOWNLOAD: .STL | PRINT AT SHAPEWAYS

'KEYHOLE' MEDAL DOWNLOAD: .STL | PRINT AT SHAPEWAYS

'GRINDER' MEDAL DOWNLOAD: .STL | PRINT AT SHAPEWAYS EXTRA: 'GRINDER' MEDAL TOP BAR DOWNLOAD: .STL

'500' MEDAL DOWNLOAD: .STL | PRINT AT SHAPEWAYS EXTRA: '500' MEDAL TOP BAR DOWNLOAD: .STL

'SCROLL' MEDAL DOWNLOAD: .STL | PRINT AT SHAPEWAYS EXTRA: '500' MEDAL TOP BAR / WINGNUT DOWNLOAD: .STL

IMMORTAN CODPIECE COMPONENTS

I made up a quick collection of the parts that can be found on Joe's castle nut codpiece, pictured below. You can print as many of the codpiece nuts as you want - I have no idea how many of each type are necessary, off the top of my head - but my personal preference is probably to print one of each, make a quick mold, and then pop out resin copies. Printing an entire plate of these things would take a lot of time and put a lot of unnecessary wear on a printer otherwise!

MYWQ7Q4l.jpg

o1KBGHhh.jpg

CODPIECE COMPONENT COLLECTION DOWNLOAD:
    .RAR COLLECTION

All of the parts in the image above are archived in that .rar collection. By request I have provided separate links to Shapeways for the individual parts so that people can order parts they might need or are missing.

'240' BADGE / EMBLEM DOWNLOAD:
    .STL | PRINT AT SHAPEWAYS

'929' BADGE / EMBLEM DOWNLOAD: .STL | PRINT AT SHAPEWAYS

'49' BADGE / EMBLEM DOWNLOAD: .STL | PRINT AT SHAPEWAYS

IMMORTAN SHIN EMBLEM COMPONENTS

hqqXgcDl.jpg

P9Fsnrol.jpg

I know that Hamsterstyle generously provided a couple models for these purposes, but there were a few that I saw missing, and at this point I just decided I wanted to be a completionist and model all of the things I was going to wear myself. I can't guarantee these will be exactly the right scale, so be prepared to have to play with the sizing a bit!

'HYPOID' GEAR / EMBLEM DOWNLOAD:

'STRAIGHT' GEAR / EMBLEM DOWNLOAD:

'SINK STOPPER' / EMBLEM DOWNLOAD:

'500' SHIN BADGE / EMBLEM: .STL | PRINT AT SHAPEWAYS

'1100' SHIN BADGE / EMBLEM:

'GX' SHIN BADGE / EMBLEM:

'XL' SHIN BADGE / EMBLEM: .STL | PRINT AT SHAPEWAYS

IMMORTAN AIR FILTRATION COMPONENTS

bSAF427l.jpg

I eyeballed this stuff as best I could to get something that would be a reasonable substitute for the car / motorcycle air filters that Joe has attached over each shoulder mostly because it seemed like tracking down a screen-accurate filter was difficult, if not impossible. The sizes on these things seems to be all over the place. This one's about 50mm at its widest, which I think is close to the screen dimensions based on what I can scale it against. I made a 'hollowed out' version to put on Shapeways in the hopes that it would be a little cheaper to print, but unfortunately it is still fairly pricey.

AIR FILTER SOLID SINGLE PIECE: .STL | PRINT AT SHAPEWAYS

Alternatively,
    if you guys decide to lose your minds like I do and want working, non-solid air filters, you can opt for Dust Devil H3 filters, which are roughly the right size and profile. Of course, they're too long by a substantial amount, so they need cutting down, which leads to the next part...

nuyf24Rl.jpg

WkzmPG1l.jpg

LXabCNxl.jpg

5d5n7s4l.jpg

For guidance on how to use these end caps, this post might be helpful. If your printer can actually manage the text on the hex cap, more power to you!

AIR FILTER BASE END PIECE: .STL

AIR FILTER HEX CAP WITH TEXT: .STL

4ncYOSYl.jpg

s6theiZl.jpg

This model was created to solve a very specific problem. The screen-accurate gas mask hose that connects from the air bladder behind his head to his mask is actually a combination of two different types of hose. The light grey hose is from a PDF-D childrens' gas mask and is more flexible, which was probably done on purpose to make it easier for the actor to move his head about. The black hose is the more standard type of russian gas mask hose you frequently find on the Soviet GP-5 or M41M masks. These hoses, stock, actually screwed together without any problem when I bought them, but the connection point on them was way too big like that. Instead, what I opted to do was design this piece to replace the connectors entirely. Slide the grey hose up over the smaller diameter end, and the black hose over the sleeve on the larger diameter end, and ta-da!

GAS MASK HOSE CONNECTOR: .STL | PRINT AT SHAPEWAYS

oO4D2y4l.jpg

0jc3klYl.jpg

This was designed to interface between the back end of my air filter and the airbag itself. It has a straight shot through the bigger tube to allow the most air through with the widest diameter opening. It is specifically measured to fit the dimensions of the piping I'm using. For looks it should work just fine, but use at your own caution if you're trying to build an airtight seal like I am.

AIR FILTER T-PIPE: .STL PART 1 | .STL PART 2

dtTqledl.jpg Rdc8Rlel.jpg

vCRuj0wl.jpg

StaSdlyl.jpg

This is designed to replicate the fitting between the back of Joe's hoses and is the plug that reaches into the air bladder from the outside. It has a smooth curve on the inside of the pipe to channel the airflow properly, if you're trying to make it actually work like I am. The longer section should be long enough to reach through whatever bracketing you use to attach it to the armor. It was sectioned into two pieces to make printing it a little easier. Again, this part is specifically measured to fit the dimensions of the piping I'm using, but it'll also work just fine as an aesthetic piece.

AIR FILTER L-PIPE: .STL PART 1 | .STL PART 2

IMMORTAN JOE'S WAR CLUB

9UtbMKcl.jpg

YmKuUTjl.jpg

hAwy1rgl.jpg

These parts are dumb to 3d print, but maybe someone will find them useful as I did. They were designed to fit over 3/4" PVC pipe with some sanding. The club head is divided into two parts to fit on my print bed.

WAR CLUB HEAD PARTS: .STL PART 1 | .STL PART 2

WAR CLUB BASE ENDCAP: .STL PART 1

IMMORTAN JOE'S CHROME SPRAY HOLDER

3yewLmfl.jpg HWSii2ql.jpg

This is an enclosure designed to fit around a Wilton's Silver Color Mist Food Spray. It tastes bitter, but it's at least safe for human consumption, and it's right about the right size. The bottle of Wilton spray is actually supposed to show for a small section between the top of the base part and the cap, but peel the plastic label off first so it's just a plain white.

CHROME SPRAY HOLDER PARTS: .STL PART 1 | .STL PART 2

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    Kruge, Vycanthus and aestheticus like this.
  2. Ein

Re: Immortan Joe Progress Log - 3d Modelling and various other bits.

ORIGINAL POST FOLLOWS:

I have a bunch of other irons in the fire that are still half-finished or in-progress, but to hell with it, I want to post this stuff too. I really liked Fury Road, but I wasn't planning on doing any props from it due to the other stuff I'm working on... right up until I found a really cool 3d model of Immortan Joe's mask done by Filipturz and just had to print it.

[​IMG]

Aaaand down the rabbithole we started. Showed the thing to my girlfriend and she thought it was pretty cool, but she started pointing out all the inaccuracies and ways the movie mask differed from what I had printed. First and foremost was the grille-looking stuff in the nostril holes, as you can see here:

[​IMG]

Took a while for me to actually find reference images - at first I thought the hole had a metallic grill in it, but upon further evaluation it looks like some sort of filtration fabric material. Nevertheless, it was obvious that step one was going to be drilling the nose hole open.

[​IMG]

Easily enough done with a dremel and sanding bit. I grabbed some two-part sculpting epoxy that I had nearby for wargaming purposes and patched the hole back closed with a deeper recess so that I could add the vertical lines back in overtop.

[​IMG]

Of course, while I was doing all of that, my girlfriend also pointed out that the teeth needed a bit of texturing, because the printed ones were too smooth. I am actually pretty garbage when it comes to sculpting. Thankfully, she is pretty good at it! I talked her into giving me a hand, so she grabbed the Apoxie Sculpt and got to work.

[​IMG]

She followed me right down that same rabbit hole and started resculpting other parts of the mask to be more accurate, including building out the cheekbones and the addition of a hammered-metal sort of texture to some of the metal parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I kinda can't believe how cool it looks. She's doing a heck of a job on it, and it keeps becoming one of these 'oh hey look at that detail, it's different, let me resculpt that' things. We're not going for perfect screen accuracy, but it's pretty clear that the Apoxie Sculpt has improved the mask dramatically.

Now, I didn't want to be a slouch, myself. While she was doing all of this, I decided to get back to leveraging what I know how to do, and started modelling up a bunch of extra / ancillary parts to be 3d-printed, with the idea that I'd make them as accurate as possible. I redid the gas mask hose attachment points so that they resembled the ones from the movie closer:

[​IMG]

I should pause here and mention that I am a big advocate for open sharing of 3d models in this hobby. Most of my projects have started from seeing a cool model someone else has made and then wanting to improve upon that, as I tried previously with Helagak's star lord helmet. I haven't had a chance to print this part yet yet to confirm that the dimensions on it are correct (both as it connects to the mask and the diameter that'd be needed to fit a gas mask hose) but as soon as I finalize that, I'll post the models up in this thread.

I also started taking a look at the rest of Immortan Joe's filtration system.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It looks like he has a pair of motorcycle(?) air filters of some description built into the rebreather bag he wears behind his head. These parts in particular seemed ripe for 3d printing, so I figured I'd take a crack at it. They're not entirely consistent between the reference images I've seen, but I think I've got the model in 'close enough' territory:

[​IMG]

Again, because I haven't printed this part yet, I'm not 100% sure I have the scale right yet, so I'm not sharing the files just yet. However, as soon as I pin down something that seems sensible and finalize the parts I will share them for others to print.

While my girlfriend continues her work sculpting on the mask, I expect I might take a stab at modelling some of the other parts of Joe's costume, including some of his badges and other miscellaneous accessories. In the mean time, if anyone has a lead on where I might be able to source some of the gas mask hoses without spending a fortune, I'd love to know. It's very clearly a coupling of two different types of hose in two different colors, but I really don't want to spend hundreds of dollars trying to find the right size fittings.

==============================

Despite it being the weekend, I didn't have nearly as much time on my hands today as I hoped for. Nevertheless, I took some time to bang out a quick copy of one of Joe's badges - I will do the others as I have the opportunity.

[​IMG]

I'm not 100% sure on my scale here, but I think I'm close to right, so here's a file to play around with!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  3. 80sKIDAutoman

80sKIDAutoman Well-Known Member

Just sent you a PM Adam regarding the Coma-Doof Warrior :) I live, i die, i live again!!

4. made007

made007 Sr Member

Nice stuff, loved this character and the movie

5. eriksmask

eriksmask Active Member

Wow Beautiful work, especially love the medal!

6. Ein

[​IMG]

Piece of cake! Ended up printing it out at around 95% scale, but until I have a chestplate or one of the other badges for scale comparison I'm really not sure if I've got the right size yet. Details print out just fine, though.

eriksmask likes this.
  7. eriksmask

eriksmask Active Member

Looks perfect!!! Do you plan on selling any of the printed medals? Myself and I'm sure many others would be interested. I have the navy eagle/anchor crest... The dimensions are 2 1/2 in long and 2 1/4 in wide, if that helps you with nailing down the scale of the medals.

8. ahoudini

ahoudini Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Such great work! Subscribed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Ein

Coincidentally, I just stumbled upon ahoudini's post in one of the other Immortan Joe threads while I've been considering the size and scale of these badges. Using the image that he linked (thanks, buddy!) and a bit of photoshoppery I think I have a better idea on how big these badges actually are:

[​IMG]

Which means two things:

• Immortan Joe is a gigantic sumbitch to be able to wear these as medals, and
    • I have pretty dramatically underestimated the size of the badge that I printed, because the "500" badge is about 2 inches across.

I'll do some rescaling and reprinting to try and come up with something bigger but still in proportion with my 6'2" self.

10. ahoudini

Excellent! BTW, that eagle/Easyriders pin is proving nearly impossible to find. I am cobbling a simulacrum together out of three other biker pins but a 3D printed version of that one would be really appreciated (as in cash money!) I got outbid on the one you see there with the rulers at $32.50!! I guarantee yours will be better than my Frankenpin!

11. ahoudini

Yes, based on the real 500 emblem I found, 2" is correct.

12. Ein

I can model the easyriders pin up for 3d printing, but I have my doubts as to whether or not my home printer can handle details down to that small a level. I'm sure a service like Shapeways could probably pull it off, though. You got any other large pictures of the easyriders badge that I can reference?

13. Ein

[​IMG]

Another one bites the dust!

Here's a file. I won't say scale's correct!

eriksmask likes this.
  14. eriksmask

eriksmask Active Member

You're on a roll!!! Beautiful work!!!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  15. ahoudini

Immortan Joe Progress Log - 3d Modelling and various other bits.

Really nice! No, Ein, the one with the rulers is the only one I have or have seen. I wish I could contact the winner of that auction and ask permission to cast it. Another could turn up any day, I suppose. I have automated searches running for it.

16. Ein

[​IMG]

So... what? I'm working on this one, but I can't really decipher what's going on in the middle of this one. It looks like... a greek column, maybe? But with a circular imprint? Anyone got any ideas here?

17. ahoudini

I thought maybe it was a lamp of knowledge at the top, like it had been an academic medal…

eriksmask likes this.
  18. eriksmask

eriksmask Active Member

I was originally thinking that medal could have been the topper of an old sports trophy and whatever was in the center circle was sanded off. Though now that you said that- I'm looking at it and kind of see the lamp of knowledge.

19. Ein

So here's my best educated guess - a scroll?

[​IMG]

Maybe. Who knows. I don't see the lamp of knowledge in there, to be honest, but there's some implied S-curve shape to it that kind of suggests 'scroll' to me. I have no idea. If anyone else can show me something better, I'm all ears, but otherwise I'll move on from this one.

20. Ein

[​IMG]

Oh 3d printer, you spoil me. :3

Think I've got the scale about right on this one now.

21. ahoudini

Wow! Wow!

22. Ein

[​IMG]

I'm suspecting my guess of it being a 'scroll' is not correct, but my ability to find any better reference imagery of the * thing is limited. If anyone else has any better ideas, I'm all ears - otherwise, I'll move on to one of the other ones.

23. ahoudini

That enhanced photo dashes my lamp theory but I can't say I see a scroll, either. The areas just look like amorphous decorative elements to me:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436751526.304839.jpg

24. ahoudini

There is definitely a central rivet in both areas.

25. Ein

Do you mean the top and bottom of the laurels?

26. ahoudini

Yes. The top one seems like a rivet holding it to the ribbon and the bottom one is for symmetry?

27. Ein

Continuing onwards. Got some more work to do on this one - I don't like the fact that the wings look so... batty?

[​IMG]

Still, it's getting there. I honestly have no idea if my printer can do details this small, but I guess worst thing that happens is I try it and see.

28. ahoudini

Coming along nicely!

29. eriksmask

eriksmask Active Member

I continue to be amazed, these are coming out great!

30. Ein

[​IMG] Nearly there!

31. ahoudini

Really nice!

32. Ein

Not bad, not great. Needs some refining - some really tiny details, like the lines on the engine blocks, didn't print as cleanly as I would have liked, which is partly do do with the model and partly to do with the fact that I need to try and calibrate my printer a bit tighter.

[​IMG]

I'll be fiddling with this a bit until I get it right. Kinda doubt I can do the text in a legible way on this thing, so I may replace the open oval section in the bottom with something different.

33. ahoudini

Looks great to me. Some of the detail can be added with paint!

34. Ein

Made some more tweaks and changes for accuracy and printing purposes. It's about as close as I think I'm gonna get with this one.

[​IMG]

Model itself is available for download here. It may not look pretty, but hey, Simplify3d can slice it well enough:

[​IMG]

Reprint in progress, let's see how it goes. If this works, I figure I'll clean them up and try cold cast the badge reproductions I've been making.

eriksmask likes this.
  35. eriksmask

eriksmask Active Member

Brilliant!!! You are a hero to all the Immortan Joe costumers out there. Do you plan on making the oval cross bar as well for this medal?
    MAX_gallery_22_gallery_primarycirlcle.jpg

Also I saw early in the thread you were asking about what style of gas mask hoses to use for Joe. The Lighter ones connecting to the mask itself appear to be from a Russian child size gas mask. I haven't found any hoses on sale individually, but the masks including the hoses are pretty cheap, most are listed on ebay for around $10. *The People Eater also is seen wearing one of these masks as a cod piece.* The other darker style hose that connects to the bellows I got from this etsy seller. https://www.etsy.com/listing/233274...ber-hose-tube-50-60cm?ref=shop_home_active_23 Hope this helps!

36. Sinned

Sinned Well-Known Member

The darker hoses are still cheaper to buy as part of a full kit, when you consider the shipping.

http://www.budk.com/product/Russian-Military-Surplus-Gas-Mask-SCHM-41M-With-Hose/178398.uts

Keep checking the site, as they have an almost daily update to their "promo code". Just wait until you see a good % discount, or Free Shipping.

For the printed valve, I have a model that I worked up, if you're interested in it. It fits the hoses just perfect, however still requires some adhesive to hold them in place.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  37. Ein

I got a deal on two child-sized gas masks similar to what you've pointed out, Erik. Found a guy with a couple on eBay for cheap... only problem is that he's somewhere in Europe, and I didn't realize that when I finalized my order with him, so now I get to wait until late July or mid-August until they arrive. * you, international shipping!

Sure do. Interestingly, I think the way it's presented there is wrong. In the film, the medallion ribbon feeds into the slot:

[​IMG]

I will probably opt to do that.

@Sinned, when you mention the valve, what are you referring to specifically? The connector between the hoses and the mask? I'd love to see what you've got, if that's the case - I've been tinkering with my own model for it but without the hoses to size it properly, I'm kinda shooting in the dark here.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  38. Sinned

Sinned Well-Known Member

Ein, sorry, yes, the connector between hose and mask. Happy to send you the .stl file. It's tailored a little more towards my needs...retrofitting a sculpt I did back in October, and added the valves on later, so they have an extension on the bottom, so I can insert them into a hole drilled in the mask. But that's easily chopped off. Or kept, if it helps.

Slightly different than the model you show at the start of the thread, but pretty close. I'm adding the tubing, and screws after the fact, so they're not part of the model. These clean up pretty good with some XTC-3D, or other what-have-you for filling in the striations, etc.

valves_zpseqkuynpa.jpg joevalved_zpso7lyjk0q.jpg

39. eriksmask

eriksmask Active Member

Yes, unfortunately most of the vintage gas mask suppliers seem to be out of Europe.

Interesting in that image how the ribbon placement is. Strangely it flips back to how it is on the mannequin in other shots... actually within the same scene.
    joe medals.jpeg
    Though I do see there are two holes on the top with cord securing it to the chest armor, the holes don't appear to be on the display costume.

40. Ein

Those look pretty good, and I might borrow some of those elements for the one I'm working on, if that's alright, but the one I have now is designed to interface properly with the surface of the mask I've got printed, so I'll probably stick with it. A point of interest is that there seems to be some copper piping that goes from the bottom of the valve into the jaw behind the rear lower teeth, so I've been modifying my design to include those bits.

[​IMG]

I also truthfully want to keep my attachment point hollow so I can see if I can actually breathe through those tubes. I have a slight fantasy in my head of putting a fan in the back bellows that creates positive pressure and just blows air into the mask, to keep me cool in a con setting. :D Probably would smell a bit stale through old gas mask hose, but still, if it works, it'd be really neat.

Can you give me a diameter measurement (diameter!) of the rubber hose from those childrens' gas masks so I can ensure that my 3d printed vent attachment is the right size?

41. logan74k

logan74k Active Member

.88" ID for the screen accurate hoses. And they do smell very strongly, but could maybe be cleaned out and vented thoroughly.

Excellent work on the medals by the way! Any plans to do the cell phone, or just sourcing it?

42. Sinned

Sinned Well-Known Member

That's what I meant by the tubing, but "pipe" is probably a better word. :) I'm going to be molding these, so including that in the print was going to make that an extra hassle. I just bent a brass rod, which I'll paint up separately.

That's going to be awesome if you have it fully ventilated, with a fan and everything! I'd be too tempted to walk around doing the old, into the fan: "Luke, I am your faaaatherrrr". Ha!

I don't have the lighter colored hoses, just the dark, but looks like logan74k has you covered there.

For the black, they go over a fitting which is about 31/32", with a 1 1/64" lip on it. I made the top of my valves to be right at 31/32, and I wish I'd made it a smidge thicker. The hoses fit perfect, but it's not a good friction fit. So if you go a little over-size, you're probably for the better. It's rubber after all. Better just slightly large, than just slightly small. Although, then I'd have to make the shoulder that it butts up against a little wider.

One thing for sure, I thought I made the part which extends into the hose pretty long (3/4"), but it could actually stand to be a little longer, for a little more support. An inch or maybe even inch and a quarter.

Here are some shots of the fitting for the black hose. Doesn't help you for the lighter color, but good for a data point.

fitting1_zpsz86mzdqq.jpg fitting2_zpsjtqithzt.jpg fitting3_zpsk2ved1i8.jpg

43. Ein

Sourcing it, hopefully. I don't want to say too much more for fear of you jerks outbidding me. :D

Thanks for that, bud. I have some rejiggering to do to my connectors, that's for sure.

44. Ein

I've updated the OP with correct files and links for the badges, just to organize things. In the mean time, I'm pretty happy with the 'Easyriders' badge for now:

[​IMG]

I'll probably be smoothing it out a bit more and filling in some of the tiny gaps because I plan on making molds of these things so I can cold cast them for myself, and every little imperfection will end up coming out on the final product if I don't. :D

smoothrat likes this.
  45. B Wo

B Wo Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ein, your medals look really, really good. Thanks for sharing the files. Can't wait to see the rest of your progress, here.

46. Hamsterstyle

Hamsterstyle Well-Known Member

I think I'm going to use your STL for the eagle badge. I can still say I made most of my costume. haha

47. Ein

In my ongoing efforts to needlessly complicate my girlfriend's life, I managed to point out a bunch of inconsistencies between the 3d printed mask I had produced and the actual screen prop. We both realize that the mask I have is never going to be fully screen accurate, but that doesn't stop me from obsessing over little details until she eventually throws her hands up in the air and concedes to help me fix a few things with her sculpting talents while I continue to work on the digital side of things.

One of the biggest differences between my mask and the film-used one is that there isn't enough of it - there's very clearly bits of the mask above and behind the metallic cheekplates, underneath the eye, and a bit more substance to the jawline than what I had printed out.

[​IMG]

He looked at me! He looked right at me!

I also noted that the metal chin bars attached to the outside of the lower parts of the left and right jawline seemed to be pretty close to the outside edge of the jaw. With all of this in mind, I set about properly wrecking the mask with my dremel and a drum bit to remove some bits that were going to be resculpted or repositioned. I also took some sheet styrene and set about bending, flexing, clamping, and otherwise cajoling the plastic into place around the perimeter of the mask to give my girlfriend a bit more surface area to sculpt any extra detailwork or additions to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any unused space will be later dremelled off. I also primed the mask black so we could see how we had done so far, which in hindsight may have been a mistake because it is really hard to see and photograph detail against black. Woops.

I also took a bit of plastic off around where the vents attach so I could redo that area in anticipation of remodelling the gas mask hose plugs.

Anyway, she's started digging back into it, so I figured I'd post some of the changes so far:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to come!

smoothrat likes this.
  48. Ein

I have been very busy these last few days, so my work on this costume has been a bit more limited than I would like, but I have managed to start making a couple molds. Figured I'd take my 3d printed masters, clean 'em up a bit more, and then cold-cast copies so I could weather and shine them like the real thing. Just popped the 'eagle' badge mold out of the pressure pot and it looks okay, so I'll try a test pour shortly!

[​IMG]

I also got my hands on one of those neat Navy Officer badges that adorns Joe's armor today. It has confirmed the scale of the other badges I've made so far, which I'm happy about!

[​IMG]

... which leads me to my last little part of tonight. I spent some time over the last few days researching and generally trying to get an idea of how I could make the torso armor and I have come to the conclusion that while clear worbla might work, I want to build a vacuform table. I have had many projects that I have found myself wishing I had one of these things for, and this was enough to make me pull the trigger. I have no idea if I am going to build something functional - I'm going by the little bits I've seen of stuff on the internet - but I have a general plan, and have spent about $200 today on a 2kw quartz heater, some wood and MDF to make a platen and frame, hardware to put it all together, and hardiback cement sheets to form a distributive oven for the plastic so that I don't end up ruining the oven in my house that I use to cook my dinner!

Step one was getting some of the MDF and cutting out the center of one of the sheets, then gluing it to another of the sheets with a hundred million billion clamps:

[​IMG]

Tomorrow, when I'm less exhausted, I'll drill the top plate of the platen full of holes for the vacuum and figure out the fittings I need to get to hook my shop-vac up to the bottom of this thing. I don't have the PETG I plan on vacuforming yet, but I'll order it from McMaster Carr on Monday, which means I should probably have it to play with by Tuesday. Of course, I need to make the buck to actually vacuum form over, so that'll take a while!

49. ahoudini

Great work!

50. Ein

Work has continued, and I'll post a bit more tonight, but I just figured something out that I think is kinda neat. The 'filigree' badge that Joe wears - I assumed it might be filigree from a frame or something. These are the best references I have for it:

[​IMG]

I was looking at it closely while I planned how to model it up, but my girlfriend, handy * that she is, noticed something - that hole in the middle of the medal is keyhole-shaped. Meaning... that whole thing is a single, solid keyhole plate. Eureka!

Could definitely find something similar in style without too much work...

[​IMG]

... but I'm going to try and model up the closest replica I can for 3d printing.

smoothrat, ahoudini and logan74k like this.