Apollo 18

Everybody dies.

and the "found footage" is somehow returned to Earth regardless of the fate of the crew and how everything ends up in a big space crash, then released under the freedom of information act and then, keep following here, is uploaded to the internet in an edited form. It would have been a more watchable movie if it wasnt wasted on the found footage style. It wasnt overly shakey cam or zoom and gloom like the horrid Death Race remake so it wasnt rendered unwatchable. Its worth a rental if your into space stuff but go into it expecting low budget and it may surprise you.

and the "found footage" is somehow returned to Earth regardless of the fate of the crew and how everything ends up in a big space crash, then released under the freedom of information act and then, keep following here, is uploaded to the internet in an edited form. It would have been a more watchable movie if it wasnt wasted on the found footage style. It wasnt overly shakey cam or zoom and gloom like the horrid Death Race remake so it wasnt rendered unwatchable. Its worth a rental if your into space stuff but go into it expecting low budget and it may surprise you.

You summed it up very well. :) it's worth a watch, but I think it quickly forgettable afterwards.

Yes, I know all these things but the guy who sold it is a pal of mine and I was just citing that as an example. It's been a few years since he sold it now, anyway.
I was looking for a little more information, because Global Effects made all those pieces and I don't think any have been sold. So I was interested to see if something had been in fact sold by Global, what it may be or if this was a mistakenly identified piece.

If one was to rejig this movie with an added person touch, would you have one of the grown up children of the astronauts file the access to information request? You could add headlines like `China prepares Moon launch' to create a sense of urgency. A supernatural aspect, a fortune teller or an modern Edgar Cayce inserted into the modern mix could add an old backstory before Apollo. This film has greater possibilities with new footage.
Anyone with ideas on how'd they'd re-work this film?

If one was to rejig this movie with an added person touch, would you have one of the grown up children of the astronauts file the access to information request? You could add headlines like `China prepares Moon launch' to create a sense of urgency. A supernatural aspect, a fortune teller or an modern Edgar Cayce inserted into the modern mix could add an old backstory before Apollo. This film has greater possibilities with new footage.
Anyone with ideas on how'd they'd re-work this film?
Actually, that’s not a bad idea. Most horror movies have to have a “it’s going to happen again” moment at the end. This would have been good for this one. Say, the shattered CSM was found drifting toward earth and reeled in by one of the DoD shuttle missions in the 80s and kept under wraps, then someone finds the film in DoD storage and realizes the Chinese and going to launch to the moon very soon. “Leaping lizards, Lassie, we gotta stop those guys from getting killed up there to, let’s go!” Then, there would be a concern on if the Chinese would know that they couldn’t let their people back to earth of they get ‘infected’ and the US and Russians have to team up in some way to keep the Chinese from going at all. Yes, you could really go a long way with that if you really wanted. Heck, that sounds like a good premise for novel, doesn’t it?

I got the DVD last week and have watched it a couple of times. You do notice small details after a second viewing.
I was very disappointed at the lack of any “making of” segment. I bought the DVD mostly hoping for some good behind the scenes material.
The funny thing for me was in the cut scenes, the crew is talking about what they’re going to tell their wives they are doing while really going to the Moon. One says he told his wife he’d be doing some training in Tallahassee. I laughed out loud for several reasons at that, because I was born in Tallahassee (I would have been about 4 at the timeframe of the movie) and that there is ZERO military or NASA presence there. No astronaut would ever be there to train for anything (I guess you could do jungle training in the swamps South of town, but they went to Panama for that training). They must have picked the town name because of the connection with astronaut Clifton Williams’s fatal T-38 crash in 1967.
Other cut scenes showing several different versions of the death of the one astronaut that made it to the Russian LK lander. In one version, a giant rock alien starts pummeling the lander and he dies on the surface. Another deleted scene shows the CSM pilot back at Houston afterward, being grilled by a NASA official as to why he came back alone. Frankly, I liked that ending most of all, suggesting that perhaps a sequel might be in the future as the astronaut would clearly have issues keeping quiet about everything as he got older.
0001.jpg

I actually liked this movie, I think it captured the feel of the era pretty well. I was pretty shocked at the ending, and figured it was going to go a totally different way.

I would rent it again...

JK3

I haven't seen it yet, still waiting for it to hit the bargain bin but my friend watched it the other night and it was like an episode of Mystery Science Theater with her and her friends lol. She said it had potential but was pretty dull.

Just got to watch this last night as it goes, and, id like to call out the director and writer for the stolen moments of my life back.
What a sad excuse for a movie, the 1st person camcorder thing IS getting old now, but if its well done.......but this wasnt, AWFUL movie, rocks, with legs, GREAT!

lee

Saw it finally. Loved the look. Photography was awesome, they really did a.lot with not much.

Tragically tho the film makes no sense on any level. The astronauts' behavior, when things start getting weird, is not plausible. The resolution, such as it is, is preposterous (remember how Val Kilmer climbs into the ascent stage of a dead Russian probe and hotwires it so he can blastoff to safety in "Red Planet"? Yeah.).

Still... Worth seeing if you're an Apollo Maniac. :)

K

Please forgive me for resurrecting this.

I agree that the movie had plenty of holes, but I actually enjoyed it. As a hardcore Apollo fan I could see the attention to detail and accuracy they put into the costumes and sets, as well as how they tried to mimic the video from 1970s tech and what was actually flown on the missions. I feel the technical attention was great. Too bad the average person is unaware of how far their art direction went. The story had lots of potential, but I agree they failed to make a great flick. Still, it was worth a matinee.

Oh the memories :lol. I cant believe i bought this in a store blind, on its release, which reminds me, come our warmer months, i need to burn it and its packaging in the garden while i dance naked around it!

lee

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back