‘Apollo 11’ Trailer: The Moon Landing Documentary Critics Call ‘Astonishing’

I love this. I've seen it twice; once in IMAX, and once 'standard.' I bought "Mother Country" from iTunes. I fully intend to see it again, and hopefully they'll re-release it in July. Loved listening to the podcast episode, too.

EDIT: "Moonwalk One," mentioned by Todd Miller in the podcast episode above, is available on Amazon Prime.

Last edited:
In my opinion, it's cheating kids to not have whole classes taken to see this.
I don't think any other major historical event has been presented so perfectly on screen before.

Another opinion, the moment those five big F1 engines lit, was the moment the human species was truly born into the universe.
But I'm kind of nuts that way. ;)

How did I miss this thread?
I'm off Monday, & I just checked, I can still see it on a nearby IMAX screen. I know what I'm doing on my day off! (y)

& on 70mm!?! I hope & pray they release this on 4k HDR!!! I've got a home theater set up that literally shakes the house!

Just saw it Sunday with my father-in-law. We loved it.

I agree; It absolutely should be must-see watching for kids in the US educational system to demonstrate how humans are capable of extraordinary things when they work together for a common goal, as opposed to the supposed accomplishment of each person building their follower count by posting a fictionalized version of their life on social media.

Just got back from seeing it with my dad. What an absolute shame that we were the ONLY ONES in the theater! Now, granted, it was the 9:00 showing on a school night... but still! I mourn for the young who are being brought up now.

Spectacular movie! I'm so happy I found this thread in time to be able to see it.
Thank you all!

Curious about the initial TLI burn footage. It was only a few seconds but it showed the ignition of the third stage. What/where camera was capable of capturing that event????

According to this guy:

– That "Apollo 11 TLI" footage was actually Apollo 9 footage, shot from inside the spacecraft, of their third stage, while the both of them were in LEO.

I would have guessed a big, ground-based telescope like Mount Palomar – shows what I know. Wasn't sure if they had aircraft-mounted telescopes in the 60's, either.

According to this guy:

– That "Apollo 11 TLI" footage was actually Apollo 9 footage, shot from inside the spacecraft, of their third stage, while the both of them were in LEO.

Ok that explains a lot, as my spider-sense was tingling rightly so about that shot.
So they did cheat a bit outside of Apollo 11 only footage.
These days I think even ground based amateurs might be able to capture such events.
I've been stunned at how well they can image the ISS. Of course the ISS is extremely
predictable far ahead of time where/when it will be.

Ok that explains a lot, as my spider-sense was tingling rightly so about that shot.
So they did cheat a bit outside of Apollo 11 only footage.

Unfortunately, yes, they did have to use some footage from other missions to stand in for Apollo 11 events they didn't have good coverage for. If you listen to the interview with the director over at Tested.com, IIRC he says that the POV footage from inside the capsule during the TLI burn (when they're flying into the terminator) is from another mission as well. Starts at 21:30 on the Tested.com video.

This is on a back order from Amazon, at the moment. I checked a few websites, & apparently they have no plan to release this on 4k. Why the hell not!?! I'll make due with the BlueRay, but I'm really bummed out. I was sssooo looking forward to seeing it on 4k HDR, as the IMAX was just stunning.

Finally watched this, and it was mind blowing. Seeing the huge amount of engineering and people required really put the whole endeavor into perspective. I hope they release a 4K copy, I need to see all those machines in detail.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back