Apocalyptic Iron Man Build 2013 Halloween Costume Contest Entry

Bizzaro

So, originally I was just using this build as a chance to try out building a helmet. It's my first time to get my hands dirty in movie prop replication. I learned a lot and I am excited to get to the next build. At first I was just going to wear the helmet and be 'Casual Iron Man'. Then my buddy recommended I do a whole costume and build a 'Post Apocalyptic Iron Man'. Which is awesome. So that's what I am doing. Here's the helmet. The pattern is from the pepakura site. It was meant for cardboard and not intended to be painted. So I used wall spackling to smooth the bends and fill holes.

IMG_6351.jpgIMG_6610.JPGIMG_6614.jpgIMG_6632.jpgIMG_6652.jpgIMG_6657.JPGView attachment 243732View attachment 243733

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 378
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 339
Last edited:
Whoaw, Iron Man meets Fallout! What a great concept! Are you going to do a complete suit which is "only" old and rusty, or are you adding some more post-apocalyptic elements? Like those typical replacement parts you see at post-apoc stuff like license plates for covering holes in the armor and so on?

Looks good, look forward to seeing the whole apocalyptic suit from the looks of the helmet looks like it will be awesome and a new and original spin on iron man

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Whoaw, Iron Man meets Fallout! What a great concept! Are you going to do a complete suit which is "only" old and rusty, or are you adding some more post-apocalyptic elements? Like those typical replacement parts you see at post-apoc stuff like license plates for covering holes in the armor and so on?

Thanks! Oh dang! Adding some license plate and more found objects is a great idea. Would be cool to see an Iron Man Mad Max crossover. Parts of him are made with tires and rusty car parts!

- - - Updated - - -

Looks good, look forward to seeing the whole apocalyptic suit from the looks of the helmet looks like it will be awesome and a new and original spin on iron man

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Thank you Kirk0! I learned a lot on this build. I can't wait to start the next. Building helmets is the funniest part I think.

Forgot to mention, I didn't finish the whole suit. Wanted it to be ready for some Halloween parties. Didin't have enough time to put the whole suit together. Maybe that will be the next project. But more license plates and rusty parts!

always amazed by some of the things people make out of freakin' cardboard. Did you not resin it with fiberglass resin?

I did not use fiberglass. I ended up using wall spackling. I went with wall spackling because I am working out of my apt right now. The fumes would be a little much to deal with. The spackling did present some great happy accidents. Since the tnature of spackling is to be fairly uneven and kinda textured, it made for a more uneven battered surface. Which lent to the theme of the build. I was envisioning the helmet and arm were found by someone in the post apocalyptic world. The person wears them to hijack people and such. So naturally it would be fairly battered and bent up.

So here's the rest of the WIP. Also a couple of pics of me out in costume. I should have taken more pictures. Certainly had me picture taken a lot on the subway. There's a picture in there of my reflection on the subway. Looks pretty rad!

The hand was fun to build but a little confusing. I ended up using j0wE's palm pattern. Which worked out great. The rest of the arm was done freehand. I look at a lot of iron man post on here. Stared at a lot of images. Was going to use Helagaks fore arm pattern, but went free hand in the end. I wanted the arm to look a little more of center. Less perfect. Really happy the end result. Learned a lot and I am excited for the next build. Either going to make a prop weapon or another helmet.. We'll see. :D

IMG_6700.jpgIMG_6691.jpgIMG_6722.jpgIMG_6804.jpgIMG_6748.jpgIMG_6755.jpgIMG_6806.jpgIMG_6807.jpgIMG_6840.jpgIMG_6845.jpgIMG_6846.jpgIMG_6890.jpgIMG_6852.jpgIMG_6863.jpgIMG_6862.jpgIMG_6866.jpg

That's fantastic clean work, I can't believe it's cardboard, your weathering is awesome.
A full suit in this style would look amazing, well done.

That's fantastic clean work, I can't believe it's cardboard, your weathering is awesome.
A full suit in this style would look amazing, well done.

Thank you Kirk0! I had the most fun doing the weathering. I may tackle a full suite. Maybe for next years NYCCON. :D

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back