Anyone used clear-cast resin with silicone?

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Birdie

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
All the clear-cast resin leaflets state that it shouldn't be used with a silicone mold. I've tried using clay moulds, but it really isn't satisfactory for what I'm trying to do. Is there any way of getting a decent release using polyester clear-cast with silicone?

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

exoray

Master Member
Originally posted by Birdie@Apr 2 2006, 11:46 AM
All the clear-cast resin leaflets state that it shouldn't be used with a silicone mold. I've tried using clay moulds, but it really isn't satisfactory for what I'm trying to do. Is there any way of getting a decent release using polyester clear-cast with silicone?
[snapback]1218257[/snapback]​
As for clear casting in silicone, not a problem with the right resin...

But, as for polyester clear in silicone, yep the surface gets funny...

I, 100% stand behind Smooth on clear urethane resins, worth every penny... Next in line would be Alumilite clear urethane... Polyester clear resins just don't cut it IMO when using a mold...

hydin

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I used silicone for about 90% of my molds for my stuff, ranging from my "Blue Rose" to bullets to rings.

all polyester (and now epoxy) resin. only thing i can say is mold release is a good thing.

chris

zorg

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
i use it no problem with my 3po eyes, its urethane (sp) resin though, poyeter shoud be ok too

z

Blad

Sr Member
Are you talking about damage to the silicone mould? Or the tackiness you get with clear-cast polyester?

Spray mould release works fine with me - you really need to leave the polyester in the mould for as long as possible, hours really to reduce tackiness.

I've also mixed a small amount of styrene with the clear-cast resin, which can give it a very slight milky look - but after polishing thsi seems to disappear. Huge benefit is almost zero tackiness and you can release from the mould after 30 mins no problem.

You'll probably only get 25-30 pulls out of the mould before you need to look at relining it. I know you are supposed to be able to 'cook' silicone moulds to redistribute the oils (or something) - doesn't work for me. Just get brown stained moulds that smell like they've been cooked. Maybe the ancient Baby-Belling had something toi do with it.