anyone playing LOTR online?

nwjedidave

Sr Member
I haven't played since BETA, but just rec'd this email and was wondering if its a spoof email, or legit.

Since LOTR online is now free, I'm not sure *IF* it was a spoof if they could get any info from me.

"Greetings,

Turbine is concerned that a third-party recently was able to gain access to some of your forum account information. We take your account security seriously. For your protection, your password has been reset and you will need to follow the instructions below."

I've been playing LOTRO since late '08, and that email is indeed true. It's been a bit frustrating; they took the forums down last week, with no message as to why. Finally over the weekend it came out that the system may have been hacked, and it was recommended that you change your password. It's more than a bit frustrating too, as their system is set up so that your forum login information must match your game login information - even though they have a message posted that recommends not using the same login information for multiple sites/games/etc. Really smart, huh? :thumbsdown

Anyway, I've logged into my and my wife's accounts and changed passwords, and so far haven't seen anything suspicious. Keeping my fingers crossed that nothing else comes out of this.

All that said, I do like the game, and despite the recent issue, would recommend it to anyone who is a LOTR fan - especially since it's now F2P. Give it a try, and if you don't like it, delete and move on. :)

I saw this and wondered the same thing. I get at least 2 emails a day saying there's some issue with my WOW account even though I haven't played in a year. I figured this was somethign similar.

I guess I'll check it out. I'm sure I don't remember my LOTRO password to begin with though... :confused

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back