Anyone make DUNE props?

16748397.jpg
Sorry about the image links .
Try it again.
paulatreides.jpg
p1010015sn.jpg

Resurrecting this thread with a few questions:

Dune_Jacket_5.jpg

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the 3-ridged rubber strips are/where they might be found?

PtByNmbrs are you still planning on doing another run of weirding modules? (Do you make both the wrist and throat pieces?)

I would use runner and liquid rubber like they use to fix rubber boats. The real suits were made with liquid rubber painted over foam and I thin this is still the best option, the materials are even better now!

TZY: awesome. Dune is one of my favourite films and it's great to see other people who have taken that similar love to the next level. Given me the inspiration to start building up some stuff.

Hey everyone, neophyte here. I decided to be Paul from Dune this year after renting the movie this year. So I make my own costumes every year for Halloween but this costume in particular seem a bit ambitious. So I'm trying my best replicate the stillsuit in less than 2 days. I'm using a minicell foam and some volara foam (foamfactory.com) over a black hooded leotard with zipper in front (local ballet/dance outfitter). The tubing is 1/4" black flex tube (hardware store), lots of good, superglue. Chest was formed by rolling the foam for the puff effect and making cuts to get 3D effect. Once I finish with the foam lay, I'll get started brushing rubber latex mixed with black acrylic. I hope that sufficiently pigments the latex??? Then I'll cap it off with a coat of black body latex and tubing to the nose. Not sure yet about the nose piece...may just glue some leftover tubing together. Hopefully this will help anyone else trying to make one. I post later the finished product.

Looks like you are off to a good start! I'm wondering if the paint will make the latex less elastic?

Here's the stillsuit I made in 2 days after work. Not fun getting into this thing but fun building and wearing. The latex/paint coating worked fine, it's really the bonding between the leotard and the foam that counts. If I could go back I would have lotioned or oiled up the mannequin a little because the some glue seeps through leotard and bonds to mannequin making it a ***** to seperate. Also, the mannequin was a bit thinner than my build so a couple of bonds broke when I got into the suit and I had to retouch. Unfortunately I'm not at the level of having a body cast made so I had to make do. I also wish I had had time to really polish out all the imperfections and sizing issues, but knowing I was bigger than the manequin I couldn't encapsulate the entire suit in foam and kept some stretch seams. All in all a fun build.

WOW! For 2 days, that's seriously impressive Baltazaar!

Bodycasts do make things remarkably easier for sure. Was the gluing process for the foam a part of the last minute thing? I'm probably going to try to stitch the edges of the foam to the bodysuit, but I'm not certain. I'm (hopefully) gonna take part in a foam workshop with a local member here, I'll have a better idea then what methods I'm gonna use to attack this project.

I notice you seem to have the blue scleras--how were they?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back