Question Anyone else seeing multiple BACK clicks?

rbeach84

Sr Member
Let me explain better - when I'm looking through the GenMod forum, I click on a thread using the 'last unread' toggle, which then for some reason creates two to three 'steps' in my BACK button 'history'. This requires me to click multiple times to get the page-back to return to the forum listing even though I have clicked the mouse just once. Weird!

This has been going on for about a week or so now. Anyone else having this problem? I'm using Firefox (latest) as my browser.

Regards, Robert

Yes, for three weeks or so. Reported it in the 'leave this page' glitch thread, but good call, it might be unrelated and thus deserving of its own report.

Sorry Treadwell, I didn't see it there when I added to the 'leave...' glitch; I noticed this problem after the other & didn't see them happening together initially. I'm thinking it may be related to the ad content loading & may be related to my Firefox security settings somehow. I'm just working around it at this point...
Regards, Robert

It has to do with rotating banners... the browser considers the rotation a back "clickable" event.

Re: Anyone else seeing multiple BACK clicks? (answered)

But it's only been doing it recently and we've had rotating banners forever.

Re: Anyone else seeing multiple BACK clicks? (answered)

We recently removed some software that was causing the timeout issues, but I haven't seen this back button issue you are describing, nor can I seem to replicate it. Can you tell me what browser you are using so I can replicate it?

I see it when I click the "go to last unread" toggle when looking at the forum listings; so start to finish:
Login to theRPF
Click on MODELS, then STUDIO SCALE from the toolbar (menu bar?) beneath the site banner
Click on little black circle for 'Go to first new post' next to the desired topic from forum List
Once on the new post, I can hit the 'back page' button and it will take two-three tries to actually go back to the forum List where I first clicked 'Go to first new post'
If I click and hold on the 'back page' button, in Firefox it will drop down a history list and this is where I see the multiple page steps (all the same) for the selected topic 'jump'.

I haven't determined if anything seems to cause either one two or three (once four) page jumps to occur, seems rather random at the moment. Using the latest Firefox version at the moment (37.0.2)

Hope this helps.
Regards, Robert

I see it when I click the "go to last unread" toggle when looking at the forum listings; so start to finish:
Login to theRPF
Click on MODELS, then STUDIO SCALE from the toolbar (menu bar?) beneath the site banner
Click on little black circle for 'Go to first new post' next to the desired topic from forum List
Once on the new post, I can hit the 'back page' button and it will take two-three tries to actually go back to the forum List where I first clicked 'Go to first new post'
If I click and hold on the 'back page' button, in Firefox it will drop down a history list and this is where I see the multiple page steps (all the same) for the selected topic 'jump'.

I haven't determined if anything seems to cause either one two or three (once four) page jumps to occur, seems rather random at the moment. Using the latest Firefox version at the moment (37.0.2)

Hope this helps.
Regards, Robert
I just tried this using your steps and it does not happen for me (latest version of firefox). Do you have any add-ons installed?

Also, have you tried just using the mouse wheel click to open the "Go to first new post" in a new tab? That way you will not need to use the back button and can just close that tab when finished viewing that thread... I understand that it doesn't directly address your issue, but it may be a workaround for now. :)

Remind me to try this at home; I'm seeing it at work, and there may be something wonky on our network, though what it could be I haven't a clue... just plain weird behavior.
R/ Robert

UPDATE:
Tried at home (different machine, different network aka my home ISP) still happening, But it doesn't *always* occur so I'd say, Montager, give it a few iterations to make sure of the results. My first try at home behaved but then it started happening - again, no apparent causal linkage (for example, while writing this response, it is showing just the one 'step' but then I didn't have option to click 'first new post' button either.) One other difference is that my home Firefox load gives me a warning 'bar' message about preventing automatically opening another 'page' along with an "Allow" button. Seems to have no apparent contribution, however,

My mouse wheel (btw, not all mice have a scroll wheel, middle button functionality) is set for 'auto scroll', not open new tab. My workaround is to do a click-hold on the back arrow to access the 'history' list and then 'jump' back directly to the list, skipping the excess page stops.

Regards, Rober

Last edited:
Incidentally, it never really stopped doing this, I just lived with it.
But now, at least on I.E., it is requiring from five to eight back clicks to get back to where I came from.
I'm no coder so I have no idea how to fix it, but there must be a way because I'm on oodles of forums with ad banners and only encounter this oddity here.

thanks again for all you do here!

Incidentally, it never really stopped doing this, I just lived with it.
But now, at least on I.E., it is requiring from five to eight back clicks to get back to where I came from.
I'm no coder so I have no idea how to fix it, but there must be a way because I'm on oodles of forums with ad banners and only encounter this oddity here.

thanks again for all you do here!
Please test it again and let me know if it is still happening.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back