Anyone done a Supernatural hunter's book?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Sulla, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Sulla

Sulla Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I am working on my own custom supernatural hunter's book. I am filling it with weird obits, supernatural writings, some Supernatural TV show references, and a lot of other kewl stuff. I pilfered my old Book of Vampires, Gaylay's Myths, a very old Latin bible I bought at a used book store full of interesting woodcuts and strange Gothic fonts, a yoga book full of interesting chakra and yoga images, fake and real newspaper articles, wikipedia witch, mythological creature, etc. entries, and much more...

I am also making some occult ritual banishment spells, lists of supernatural medicines and anti-venoms, anti-supernatural ammo ingredient lists and recipes, EMP reader building instructions, and scattered lists/ business cards of contact info for such persons as Van Helsing, Buffy, Alucard, and others. I have gathered all this together and am currently hand binding a book for the purpose.

I was just wondering if anyone else had done, or is working on something similar?

*SEE LAST POST FOR ADDITIONAL PIX*

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  2. Sulla

3. misterfusion

misterfusion Sr Member

Glad to see this bounce back up.

I started THIS THREAD back in January and nobody said a peep.

I dig the show and think it's a cool prop, but hey, that's just me :p

Steve

...and in going back to the site for the first time in a while, there's a new feature showing a bunch of the fake IDs the boys use on the show.

Steve

4. Kal-ElofKrypton

Kal-ElofKrypton Well-Known Member

Woah did I just miss that thread? I guess so. This is one prop I have been wanting to make. I have taken screencaps of the official Supernatural site where you can explore John Winchester's Journal just to make the prop. I've experimented to age paper and it looks cool, I just have to use them for the journal.

Plus there is a pad of definitions I'd like to make, one for each season if they do more. I got pics of those too.

It looks really involved but it would be cool to do. And as time goes on we will see more.

misterfusion, I saw the id's too and thought those could easlly be made.

5. Sulla

Finally got home from work and got to play around with the official site. Anyone know the combination to the lock int he trunk? Or how to open the box on the back seat?

6. Bountyhunter Niko

Bountyhunter Niko Well-Known Member

Sounds Like a great project. Keep the updates coming.

7. Kal-ElofKrypton

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sulla @ Apr 24 2006, 06:46 PM) [snapback]1232474[/snapback]</div>
    Ive also tried that. For some reason it wont let me try and put in the combo. They added the key in the back seat so you open the golve box, so I think before the season is over they will update it.

*Update

so after I read your post, I went to the site to see if I could get the trunk open to view the weapons...just right click over the lock and click play then it should open and show the weapons. I'm gonna try to do that for the safe. Time for screen used props. lol

8. Kal-ElofKrypton

Also how about those research papers on that crazy doctor that experimented on pacients? That would be cool

9. Sulla

OK, got some work done on my "custom supernatural hunter's book"
    I made this book from scratch using leather, cardboard, glue, and of course - paper.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's just a taste. Look he for my other photos:
    http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/boozee/hunter/?sc=4

A few things here... The card between these pages is an Arkham Public Library card with Johan Mallory's name as the borower. The book is full of Sci Fi and other references. Some Grail Diary inserts are in there, some more Lovecraft stuff, I'll be adding some Hellboy stuff, you'll see a morgue Toe Tag as a bookmark that I filled out to flesh out a werewolf mauling mentioned on the page it's marking, and there's some stuff from the show Supernatural in there too.

It's not finished yet. I only have about 1/3 of the book filled up. I have tons more reference material to go through before I add it in and there's some choice aging stuff I still wanna' do like blood stains, dirt, coffee rings, some burnt pages, and random occult doodles all throughout just to am a couple.

I'll keep posting pixs if folks are interested.

10. TFrosst

TFrosst Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hell yeah we're interested. Can you put up some links for the stuff you're putting in (books, inserts, etc.)?

11. Sulla

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TFrosst @ May 2 2006, 09:02 AM) [snapback]1236877[/snapback]</div>
    Honestly I just did a bunch of Wikipedia and yahoo image searches.
    I used phrases like
    spirits
    Paranormal
    Werewolf
    Vampire
    Shtriga
    Succubus
    Mythological creature
    Demon
    Angles
    Electromagnetic Field

I have some books laying around that I used including the following:
    The vampire Book (The Encyclopedia of the Undead)
    Scans from an old Latin Bible I picked up from Half Price Books a few years back.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    scans from an old "Classic Myths, Gayley" text book I also picked up a few years back.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Random metal working scand from another old textbook called General Metal I nabbed at a yardsale.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Plus stuff from yoga books, Firearm manuals, my old boyscout maual, to name a few. One neat thing I have not yet incorporated into the book is the MIT paper on lock picking. It's illegal to own lock picks, but I can include some choice stuff from the paper along with some images of lock pick sets.
    http://www.theobsessivemessenger.com/lockpickingguide.html

12. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

*, Andy - you're like your own little printing press and publishing company all in one.

Looks great, look forward to seeing the completed book :thumbsup

-Fred

13. Sulla

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gigatron @ May 2 2006, 09:55 AM) [snapback]1236900[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. BTW, I PM'd you on "the other book."

14. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

Got it - can't wait :D.

Enjoy the trip, buddy.

-Fred

15. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Cool stuff in yer hunter's book... I like that look — scrapbook-y.

Gotta love Google Image Search :D

Those other books you have are neat, too. You collect em? Or are you just a yard sale junkie?

-Mike

16. dropshipbob

dropshipbob Sr Member

I like the look of that. You could also add some info from the "book of the dead" from Evil Dead, or even the real BotD.

So did you bind the pages of that book yourself?

17. Kal-ElofKrypton

WOW Great Job. I think I'll have to have Andy Make My Hunter Journal :) I just need good pictures. Would you ever seem up to the job?

18. Sulla

Wow, lots to answer. I was away on hoiliday.

I just pick'em up here and there if they look interesting. I'm not a collector.

Thanks. I hand sewed and bound the pages and also made the cover myself.
    I was thinking of doing an Evil Dead reference or two. I gotta' dig out my Evil Dead official movie companion book. I know it's around here somewhere...

Thanks. :D I have made blank Grail diaries before, and this journal is much easier 'cause I didn't trim the pages. I just folded a bunch of stacks of 5 sheets of 8.5 x 11 paper for this book.

And here's a couple update pix. I worked on it a little before I left for vacation:
    Here's the beginning of the lockpick section with fake staionary for "The Happy Hippy Hostel" in Colorado.
    [​IMG]

Here's a couple of the MANY spreads about the science behind EMF and it's math. Talk about writers cramp.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I accidentally printed one too many of this page of a vacation map before I left so I threw it in the journal with a fake blurb on another Hunter's tracking progress.
    [​IMG]

And finally, here's one of about 12 pages of made-up contacts and their contact info. I crossed some of them out and put R.I.P. next to their names, and I supplied random doodles throughout all the pages using all kinds of pens and pencils to make it look like a list that was slowly added to over the years. More aging will need to be done but I am saving that for last after I have filled the book up.
    [​IMG]

19. Sulla

OK, I got some more work done on the hunter's book.

Here's the inside front cover. I've covered the spread with stamps from HPLHS and a few other fun things like the Blue Sun sticker.
    [​IMG]

These are the first pages. The "Opener" of the journal if you will. The drawing is a combination of a few creepy occult images I found, smeared a bit. The writing is distorted with a little water and there are some stains from... blood. Yup, I got a horrible paper cut while working on this thing and decided to "milk" it for all it was worth. Sorry if this is too gross for those of you who are sensative to such things...
    [​IMG]

Here's a spread I just love. It's got some nonsense about ghosts and spirits, but the pic is neat.
    [​IMG]

Who can forget the Windego? I found some stuff about the windego legend and some interesting artist's renderings of the creature paper-clipped in:
    [​IMG]

Here's one spread of many in a long section on Grimoress covering such subjects as witch hunting and deamon identification:
    [​IMG]

Again, here is the link to the photo album with more pix:
    http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/boozee/hunter/

20. Chairman Kaga

Chairman Kaga Active Member

This is cool. Though I am not a fan of the show I love this piece. It sorta reminds me of the Tobin's Spirit Guide mentioned in Ghostbusters.

21. Drago Lordist

Drago Lordist Well-Known Member

need other mythological creatures? I have a bunch off my head that you may not have thought of...

22. Ash

Ash Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Anyone done a Supernatural hunter's book?

I'm going to go ahead and give this a bump because it's got me interested.

-Ash

23. CMANavy

CMANavy Sr Member

I will second that. I am not working on the book but I am working up to do a replica of the Colt.

The colt is a 1836 Paterson Colt revolver withthe loading leaver removed. The gun its self is around $400 but it is orginaly a Black powder and percusion cap and ball revolver. Converting to a cartrige is difficult and if I do it will be non fireing. :cool

24. Ash

Ash Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I never really watched this show. Saw my first episode tonight. "A Very Merry Supernatural Christmas" I think is what it was called. I was making the journal for a friend for Christmas and I need to get started soon. I've started making my blank book tonight. Have to search around on how to do the leather cover and over all finishing of the book.

I thought this is what their Dad's book looked like but I guess having never really watched the show I was wrong, it looks like their Dad diary has binder clips in it, which would be great for adding pages and what not. But I kinda like Sulla's idea of making a "Hunter" journal. Any idea if the published guide that's floating around has anything good in it?

Also how did you start your diary? Is it just WHAM out of the gate or did you do some kinda of introduction?

-Ash

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  25. IronFist

IronFist Well-Known Member

How about adding the Osculum infame?

[​IMG]

26. GrenadeKing

GrenadeKing Sr Member

I love stuff like this!
    Takes me right back to my childhood where I used to whip up all kinds of "props" for the stuff my friends and I used to play. I'd make letters and receipts and fake money and bombs and all kinds of stuff.
    Books like this though, they just have a personality to them. You can just let your mind wonder and think about the situations that made the "author" put whatever he put into the book. Really cool stuff. :)

If it's okay to suggest some goodies to go inside, how about a little referance to some giant man eating worms in perfection valley, nevada? :love

27. Sulla

Wow, this came out of left field. :)

I have made a lot of Grail diary books, so this one was not that hard to do.

I sell a tutorial and kit for binding a book just like this one. There will be some grail diary kits available on the JY on the next few weeks if you want one. PM me if you're interested in a tutorial.

The dad's on the show was one of those daily organizer binders turned hunter's book. I thought a 'real' book would be better looking.
    As far as just writing one up, then yeah, I came up with a fictitious hunter, wrote a first person intro/bio as to how he came into hunting followed by about 5-10 pages of fake contacts, like gun shops, no-questions motels, rare goods stores, fake ID contacts, etc. And then I googled the hell out of the web and used what I found to make sections of the book.

Every once in a while I'd throw in a short tale about a particular hunt and what the hunter learned about it. i decided this hunter had a nasty hatred for Werewolves and included a hefty section on them. I also looked up the math on the EMF readers and wrote a lot about them, their construction, and the math and science behind them into the book.

Then I googled up a bunch of occult symbols, wrote up a bunch of funny stuff in other languages that use symbols like Mandarin, etc, and inserted, drew, or pasted them randomly into the book.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  28. Sulla

Hey, I was just wondering, did anyone else make a hunter's journal?

I was thinking of taking mine up again and adding some more material. I found a ton of old photos that'd look right in one of these.

It seemed like the right time to resurrect this thread. October/Halloween and the new season of Supernatural n'all.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  29. TurboMan

TurboMan New Member

Bump,what a great show.Anyone doing anything else with this?

Todd

30. TazVader

TazVader Sr Member

yeah...anyone made an accurate one? The Winchestor journals site has a big heap of pics of the real journal pages.

Regards
    TAZ

31. Mutant-Enemy

Mutant-Enemy Sr Member

Not certain what "show' you guy's are (were) talking about and I realize I'm late to the game here but I'm an admirer of things from Buffy the Vampire Slayer (TV Series) and anything vaguely historical/mythological concerning "evil creatures" and the methods of killing them.
    I've been thinking of putting together something very much like your "Hunters Journal" and would love to discuss more on the subject...

32. TazVader

TazVader Sr Member

the show is called "Supernatural" I think if you like that type of stuff you would LOVE it. Give the first season a hire. Give it time. Takes half the season to pick up.

So what do you want to make? A generic journal?

Regards
    TAZ

33. Mutant-Enemy

Mutant-Enemy Sr Member

Ah! I've seen an episode or two of Supernatural...thought it was a descent show.

The thing I alway's loved about Buffy was "research mode"...the gang hitting Giles' collection of books in order to identify a demon/monster/current threat and there was alway's a sketch next to the type of creature, usually looking like it was drawn in medieval times.

I guess I'm thinking of creating a sort of "catch all" Creature Compendium with images such as this:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

34. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

I watched the first season of supernatural, and loved it. I forget if I saw the second season, but I know I stopped watching it because there were too many other shows I loved on at the same time. (and I don't have Direct TV, and I'm on dial up, so I didn't have an easy cheep way of watching it later.) I missed quite a few seasons, and when I tuned in a little over a year ago, and caught a few episodes, they were AWFUL, so I kind of gave up on the show. Then last summer, I cought a few episodes from last season, and not only where they great, but they made a lot of fun of the awful episode from the previous season. :lol I Totally want to go back, and watch the whole show, and get up to date. :) It's got a great dark since of hummer, and store behind it. I REALLY loved buffy, and Angle, and I REALLY hated to see them canceled, and I really didn't get way they would give them the boot, and then put a show on, that was so much like it, but I have to say, I do love supernatural.

And I would love to get the journal, and I also would love to get their pistol (the colt) too.

35. Mutant-Enemy

Mutant-Enemy Sr Member

I realize I may have just high-jacked this thread...very sorry...didn't realize the "Supernatural" in the title was actually referring to the show...

36. smordant

smordant Active Member

After hand writing and drawing an Indiana Jones grail Diary I was trying to think of another journal project to do. I had thought about some dracula/supernatural hunter type book and now I see your thread.

Giving me some ideas and I have to check out the show too. Awesome work, inspired me no end.

My projects list of things to do is getting longer and longer!

37. ZoeJayne

ZoeJayne New Member

my best friend and I are going to try and make the journal.
    And Sulla, great work on your journal.

38. CJ 617

CJ 617 Sr Member

Just discovered this thread after recently getting into Supernatural.....this is definetely a prop on my wish list and to-do list for this year!!

39. CJ 617

CJ 617 Sr Member

Bump...anyone tackling one of these at the moment? I have been trying to track down a suitable 3 ring leather journal/diary to use but with no luck...has anyone found a suitable one?

40. DocTony

DocTony Well-Known Member

I have been working on one for a while, the binder I got from Staples, I used a simple 3 ring SMALL binder the correct size and had a leather guy I know make a slip cover for it to match the one on the show, THEN I made up calender pagers that are appropriate to the date the journal was started, and started writing in it. If you notice especially on the Windego page. you can see the the dates from the original page where he has written over them.

41. CJ 617

CJ 617 Sr Member

Nice one....could you send me some pics or show them on here, please? It sounds like the best way to go, with buying a binder like that, then getting a leather cover made for it. I know a local leather worker who might be able to help me with that. What size binder did you use?

42. RPGnerd

RPGnerd Active Member

ummmmmm..... theres an official facsimile version already out and available as a PDF that you can use....

THE Supernatural™ BOOK of Monsters, Spirits, Demons, and Ghouls.
    By ALEX IRVINE
    Illustrations by Dan Panosian
    Supernatural created by Eric Kripke

Harpercollins Ebooks

234 pages written in a first person account, that could be copied and pasted.

An excerpt (incomplete just part of the listing) on the Yellow Eyed Demon

"We know him mostly through his work. He moves into bodies at
    will. Once he possessed Dad, and we learned something about ourselves
    there. We could have killed him, but it meant killing Dad,
    and in the end, it wasn’t worth that. All of the stuff that works on
    other demons doesn’t even make him blink. When he was possessing
    Dad, we doused him in holy water and he didn’t even notice. He
    doesn’t leave behind the sulfurous stink that most lesser demons
    do, either, and ordinary demonic apotropaics like salt and binding
    sigils don’t seem to bother him much. He will respect a summoning
    if it’s perfectly carried out and the summoner has good manners,
    which is typical of demons. We have a theory that they like to be
    summoned, since it gets them out of hell, and don’t want to ruin
    their chances at another vacation by dismembering every conjuror
    who comes along. Plus,
    most of them like to talk.
    God, do they like to talk.
    Most of them can be summoned
    by a standard pentagram
    doctored with the
    right ritual candles and so
    forth, but for the Yellow-
    Eyed Demon, you need the
    sigil of Azazel."

43. TheMechanic

TheMechanic Sr Member

I'd love to start one of these. I'm currently looking for a good close enough leather journal that's refillable so I can slip the 3-ring booklet into it.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction or have an approximate size for the journal?
    I found this 'close enough' but I'm looking for something better/closer.
    http://www.leatherjournals.net/forever-leather-journals.html
    Thanks.

44. TallDarkandDisfigured

TallDarkandDisfigured Sr Member

I searched for long time for just the right journal, I gave up. Best bet is probably making it from scrap leather and a binder..

45. CJ 617

CJ 617 Sr Member

yeh...been frantically searching the web for a close enough leather journal to use for this project, but with no luck although I did come across the leatherjournals.net one mentioned above the other day and thought it could possibly be a good enough one to use. I'd love to have a really accurate one but appreciate that this may not be possible, so will go for a close enough, similar journal to the screen seen one.

I have that Supernatural book that was mentioned in a recent post, providing information, written in a stle of a journal, on all the monsters/legends etc......it's a great book and will come in handy for the journal contents. Totally worth it!!

46. TallDarkandDisfigured

There is also a book on Amazon called John Winchesters journal, or something to that effect. I haven't picked it up yet though as I hadn't seen any excerpts to know what is inside..

47. Sulla

What ever you do, I really think it'd be hilarious to install a gizmo like one of those recordable singing birthday cards in your journal to play Carry on Wayward Son, by Kansas when you open the cover... :lol

48. TallDarkandDisfigured

:lol

Now that I like. That song pops into my head at least once every day now since I started watching Supernatural

49. CJ 617

CJ 617 Sr Member

lol me too....I love that song!!

50. meimei

meimei New Member

^ bumping up out of general curiosity... anyone working on one of these right now or maybe have some pics of completed ones?
    This is going on my to-do list once I finish off my Firefly costume for Halloween. I used to have my own binder full of supernatural stuff waaay back in the day (like before the show even started), so I'm thinking I might have to try and find it and incorporate some of it into my project :)