any way to make quinine water glow a little brighter?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by hydin, Jun 27, 2006.

1. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i am working on an idea, and want to use quinine water (sp?) for a nice bright glow. (think nutty professor and you have the same blue, they used it for the weight loss formula)

the only problem is the local water i picked up is sort of... bland? looking when the UV light hits it.

any ideas on how to make it a little more "concentrated" or a little brighter?

thanks
    chris

2. Great_Bizarro

Great_Bizarro Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(hydin @ Jun 27 2006, 12:11 PM) [snapback]1269297[/snapback]</div>
    Check some of the overclocking computer sites they sell dye to add to water that glows under uv light.

3. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i was thinking about that, but this is a quick/dirty hookup, and i was hoping to knock it out in a day or so.

im thinking maybe boil away a good chunk of the water? logically (in my head anyway) itll leave more quinine behind to glow, therefore be a little brighter.

there will be glowing things with UV dye though, trust me :D

thanks.
    chris

4. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Add some laundry soap? That stuff tends to have optical brighteners...

-Mike

5. Rebel Hunter

Rebel Hunter Well-Known Member

not sure what type of quinine water you are using, but Canada Dry seltzer (with quinine) has a nice hue to it.

6. Snoballz

Snoballz Well-Known Member

I made glowing bottles for our bar by cutting open a highlighting pen and soaking the part that held the ink in the bottle with water. Don't know if blue highlighters are UV responsive but it might be worth a try.

7. weaselflinger

weaselflinger Sr Member

Add Bombay Gin, if it doesn't glow more, you at least have a hell of drink (don't forget a twist of lime).

8. Hellclaw 01

Hellclaw 01 Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(hydin @ Jun 27 2006, 01:11 PM) [snapback]1269297[/snapback]</div>
    If you let it evaporate, just the H2O should dissapate, leaving you with a more concentrated end product.

Boiling should help speed the process.