any recomanded tool for cutting apart original model for molding??

keithktam

any recomanded tool for cutting apart original model for molding?? i am planning to make a papercraft model with putty on it for further detailing, and then mold, then cast it in plastic, i realize that i probably need to cut it up for the molding process, any tools that are suitable for this task?? and what about clay that has dried, any tools that able to cut it without cracking it??
thank you
keith

You can try a small razor saw from a hobby store. Also I have heard of cutting styrene with a thread by gently sawing back and forth. If you want to disassemble a model you can freeze it and then GENTLY break it apart. the freezing causes the glue to become very brittle and crack apart. I have used this method with fairly good results. Good luck, be careful.

You can try a small razor saw from a hobby store. Also I have heard of cutting styrene with a thread by gently sawing back and forth. If you want to disassemble a model you can freeze it and then GENTLY break it apart. the freezing causes the glue to become very brittle and crack apart. I have used this method with fairly good results. Good luck, be careful.

Since you're building the model can't you just build in in subsections?

Just a thought.

Jedi Dade

thanks!! now i know freezer can do good to models :)
and subsection approach might be a good idea afterall, might be using blue tack to temp join the sections....

I made the parts for my phaser in halves for ease of molding. I used double sided tape to stick the top/bottom and right/left halves together so I could shape them to match up, then split them apart for molding.

That's one of the toughest parts of making model kits, toys or anything else to be made from molds, working out the best way to break it down. Of course silicone molds makes it easier for us hobbyists, steel molds require a lot more thought.

I made the parts for my phaser in halves for ease of molding. I used double sided tape to stick the top/bottom and right/left halves together so I could shape them to match up, then split them apart for molding.

That's one of the toughest parts of making model kits, toys or anything else to be made from molds, working out the best way to break it down. Of course silicone molds makes it easier for us hobbyists, steel molds require a lot more thought.

cool!!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back