Limited Run ANT-MAN 2015 Helmet, 100% screen accurate, motorized and lit! **MUST READ POST 1!!!**

drumguy560

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello everyone! It is time to update this post with some progress!

The helmets are now in production, and the first one has been fully completed. Here are some highly detailed photos of one.

_DSC0115.jpg_DSC0106.jpg_DSC0088.jpg_DSC0108.jpg_DSC0090.jpg_DSC0084.jpg_DSC0111.jpg_DSC0091.jpg_DSC0086.jpg

The helmet is made to be 100% screen accurate, as demonstrated by it's many removable pieces.

You can see below that the outer mouth piece is removable
_DSC0098.jpg
This is correct as the movie version. They made many different helmets for the movie. For the scenes where the faceplate was opened, they removed the outer mouthpiece, as seen in THIS screenshot
Screen Shot 2016-04-15 at 5.27.47 PM.png
In addition, the main mouthpiece is completely detachable from the mandibles, and are connected via a snap-fit connection to them. In addition, the wiring features a quick-disconnect JST style connector so the mouthpiece can be completely removed, as in this photo,
_DSC0127.jpg
Alternatively, you may leave one side connected, in order to get the helmet on, as in this picture
_DSC0099.jpg
which mimics the movie version, as shown in THESE images
Screen Shot 2016-04-15 at 5.21.47 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-04-15 at 5.29.20 PM.png
In addition to allowing you to put the helmet on, having the mouthpiece dropped like this is a nice way to get yourself some fresh air during a long convention!

As you can see in THIS picture, the helmet is fully lit with red LEDs
_DSC0102.jpg
The faceplate is also detachable via two screws on each side. It's lights are connected via a JST connector just like the mouth.

For reference, here is a comparison shot between the movie helmet and mine.
image2.JPG(screen used helmet from D23) and mine _DSC0109.jpg

The faceplate and mandibles are fully motorized, as seen in THIS GIF
faceplateopening-2.gif
As you can see, you DO have to help the mandibles down. This is due to a limitation in the laws of physics regarding motor size and torque. There is not much room in the helmet for motors and electronics. I got the absolute largest, and most powerful motors that would fit, but they are not quite strong enough to pull against the elastic in the mouth. However, once you help it down, it stays down quite well. To activate the helmet, the red square buttons on the helmet are used. The button on the right operates the faceplate, and the button on the left operates the LEDs. The LEDs are powered on a separate circuit from the faceplate and mandibles. This is to save precious battery power for the motors. The motors are powered by THESE electronics
_DSC0126.jpg There are two Faulhaber geared, encoded DC motors with right angle shafts, an Adafruit PowerBoost 1000c, and a 1200mah lipoly battery. The battery can be charged via a standard micro usb cable, and can be accessed through the front of the helmet to charge. The LEDs are powered by a standard CR2032 battery. The helmet is totally "dumb", meaning that there are no control electronics. The faceplate falls down with gravity when the motors are deactivated.

The helmet is also made in primarily semi-flexible materials, as per the movie one, as seen here
antmanbehindthesceneslow-2.gif compared to mine flexibilitydemonstration-2.gif
This assists greatly when putting on the helmet, as you can stretch it out to fit over the ears, and then re-position it until it is comfortable.

The helmet is assembled using almost entirely screws. Very little glue is used.

Here is what the helmet looks like when on

faceplateClosedSelfie.jpgfaceplateOpenSelfie.jpg(normally the outer mouthpiece would be removed when the faceplate is up)

The helmet is designed to fit extremely snug on a 25" head, as that is what mine is. What this means is that if you have a smaller head, you may need to pad the inside to fit. However, as the mouthpiece is adjustable, you can still sit it flush against your mouth to get the correct screen-accurate look.

IF YOU READ THIS FAR CONGRATULATIONS!!!! ORDERING INFO IS BELOW

All told the helmet has over 30 separate pieces, not including LEDs or screws. There are 7 moulds, plus rapid prototyped parts integrated in each build. This means that it is crazy complex to build, which means it takes a lot of time, not to mention the cost of all of the components. Therefore I have priced the helmets at $1,000 USD shipped. I know this may sound like a lot, but due to the amount of time involved in each helmet, it's what has to be done. I am currently not selling raw casts, as the casts require a lot of cleanup, and the assembly is a nightmare.

I can paint the helmets with a screen-accurate weathered finish, as seen here, or a clean "from the factory" finish. Just let me know which one you would like.

Thanks for looking everyone! Hope you like it!

-The Digital Armorer

Last edited:
Re: ANT-MAN Version 2.0 FULLY MOTORIZED HELMETS

Interests in a fully finished one, but would like to see the movement when done. What is the timeframe you expect this to be finished?

Glad I waited! I'll take one... At least a kit, possibly finished.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mickeybrown Max Jenius mbmcfarland - Got you guys down for fully finished ones!
bxstrmn - I'm working full speed ahead to try and get the helmet mastered before the holidays. I am going out of the country for a few weeks around Christmas, but will return to the helmet when I return.

Last edited by a moderator:

I need this more then my next breath. Put me down for a fully finished one.

Interested in a fully finished, and like everyone else depending on the final product.

Very cool guys!

There will be some more progress to show shortly!

Thanks!

-The Digital Armorer

Wow that's pretty awesome, getting married next month though so broke as heck haha. maybe down the road if you are still offering though!
Definitely the most accurate helmet I've seen :thumbsup

Last edited:

Good Morning!

I am back from vacation and have resumed work on the helmet! I am currently in the stages of debugging the mechanical and electrical aspects of it, and here is where it is currently at.

This thing is nearing the final stages of mastering. Let me know if you want in!

The Digital Armorer

Re: ANT-MAN Version 2.0 FULLY MOTORIZED HELMETS (HUGE UPDATE PG 1)

The minute I get my taxes back I'll send in the deposit for this. I'm so excited it looks amazing!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back