ANOVOS issues (ANOVOS ONLY discussion)

A lot of it is getting things made in the United States. Truly. The living wages of someone overseas are why companies hire overseas and why ALLL of us are used to cheaper, Wal*Mart prices.

Previous Premier level costumes have been very high too. I'm not sure why the ANH Han costume is called Signature Line instead of Premier.

The material, the country where it is made, and the type of manufacturer (i.e. mass production factory vs smaller shop) all make big differences in the cost.

Isn't the Han Bespin pretty similar as far as complexity, amount of material, etc. The Standard line was $530. I would be very surprised if they don't eventually offer a Standard line ANH Han costume for a similar price.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

For 575 that's some obscenely expensive material.

If it costs that much to get a shirt made in the states, we don't deserve to make them here, period. Cut the licensing and your still over what? 400? It's not an Armani.

Apparently some people are willing to spend the money for the Signature Line ANH Han items. Wave 1 sold out. Now they are selling Wave 2.

I agree that the prices are high, but some feel it is worth it.

It seems like Propshop prices compared to other options for the same product.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Some of the material/ cloth used for these costumes is quite pricey. There is some wool twill at 200 dollars a yard. And it HAS to be that material to be the right look. You cannot approximate it. There is no question. The tail coat material for the Phantom in the musical is 600 a yard (on the extreme end). LFL has a Darth Vader cape at 500/ yard wool. To do these things correctly is difficult. I'm not saying Anovos is under or over charging but the right materials price up fast. Heck, a high end hat is 500-1000 dollars beaver fur etc.

But the pants are $600!!!! That is over charging imo.

You mean people who dont have to pay licensing fees to LFL\Disney, pay R&D costs on not just the actual product, but packaging, and lots of other business overhead like insurance, leases, payroll, etc. Yeah comparing Anovos to hobbyists isn't really a 1:1 comparison. You can say you don't like their pricing all you want, but until you are actually looking at all their costs, you can't say its gouging.

Fair enough.

Then everything else should be about 5-8x more expensive because of all those expenses. I mean, how do you justify Star Lord's leather jacket priced at $575? Seems like the materials alone would be more expensive than a single fabric for a shirt, with minimal stitching in comparison. And Marvel is owned by Disney...

And then there's Star Trek shirts for $325, that have more details. Scotty's shirt is only $150.

Then there's this...

https://www.anovos.com/collections/...command-division-uniform-undershirt-pre-order

for $165...

Then you have the Andor's jacket in Rogue One...

https://www.anovos.com/collections/...tar-wars-story-cassian-andor-jacket-pre-order

For $180...

Han's FA leather jacket is all of $500.

...any way you cut it, Anovos is 'fleecing you' for this particular shirt. :facepalm

Again, its the use of words like "gouging" and "fleecing" that I object to. They have an implication of Anovos being unethical. I've seen nothing of the sort from them. They definitely have problems, don't get me wrong, but I haven't seen any evidence of them doing anything criminal.

Also, you make comparison without knowing all the details. None of us know the terms of their deals with licensors, manufacturers, suppliers, etc. So saying they only charge X amount for one item, then charge a different amount for another item and that thats indicative of some sort of scam is just wild speculation without any real facts to back it up. Just because Disney owns both Marvel and LFL is by itself not enough to say everything should be equal.

Just to be 100% clear, I'm not trying to say people don't have a right to their own opinion. However many people are making leaps in logic and assumptions without all the facts. I don't have all the facts either, so until given a reason otherwise, I'd give any company the benefit of the doubt. Until you have access to all of Anovos' financials, you can't really say what they're doing is criminal. You can say you don't like it. You can certainly vote with your pocketbook to show how much you disagree. Anything else is just grandstanding. I think some people here have obvious bias towards Anovos for one reason or another and then look for any reason to label them as something they are not.

Some of the material/ cloth used for these costumes is quite pricey. There is some wool twill at 200 dollars a yard. And it HAS to be that material to be the right look. You cannot approximate it. There is no question. The tail coat material for the Phantom in the musical is 600 a yard (on the extreme end). LFL has a Darth Vader cape at 500/ yard wool. To do these things correctly is difficult. I'm not saying Anovos is under or over charging but the right materials price up fast. Heck, a high end hat is 500-1000 dollars beaver fur etc.

I can not imagine LFL or anybody wanting to pay 500/ yard for wool. To me that number seems unrealistic. If that was the case then Kev's capes are not accurate and or junk since its not the same wool LFL uses if they really bought wool at $500 a yard. I bought his capes knowing his wool is the same or very damn close but at $500 a yard for the wool LFL supposedly bought then a cape would cost a couple grand when I only paid $600 for my Kev cape in total. There is no way Kev's capes are that far off. That is why I feel your numbers comes across as unrealistic.

Wait - I did not say THE Vader cape. They have a few different capes up there. There was one that was more wool flannel, another that was more twill, etc. The Kev capes are dead on screen accurate. But yes, it is not uncommon for material at the high end to cost that much - the reason is the weight and flow they can get. But you are correct - the one Kev cape I saw was the same material as I saw on the Vader mannequin in the LFL archives. I could not see or feel any difference. Also, they have some cheaper capes too for the promotional costumes - not bad material, just different. And the supposedly pricey one I saw I did not look up - the archivist said, "this __ is 500 bucks a yard" - it looked like a heavier kind of cavalry twill. I thought there was too much of a pattern in the fabric. But a shirt here for 575 dollars does kind of fit: It's more than I will spend but the cloth, production costs, American wages, and LFL/ Disney licensing fee add up.

I can not imagine LFL or anybody wanting to pay 500/ yard for wool. To me that number seems unrealistic. If that was the case then Kev's capes are not accurate and or junk since its not the same wool LFL uses if they really bought wool at $500 a yard. I bought his capes knowing his wool is the same or very damn close but at $500 a yard for the wool LFL supposedly bought then a cape would cost a couple grand when I only paid $600 for my Kev cape in total. There is no way Kev's capes are that far off. That is why I feel your numbers comes across as unrealistic.

Wait - I did not say THE Vader cape. They have a few different capes up there. There was one that was more wool flannel, another that was more twill, etc. The Kev capes are dead on screen accurate. But yes, it is not uncommon for material at the high end to cost that much - the reason is the weight and flow they can get. But you are correct - the one Kev cape I saw was the same material as I saw on the Vader mannequin in the LFL archives. I could not see or feel any difference. Also, they have some cheaper capes too for the promotional costumes - not bad material, just different. And the supposedly pricey one I saw I did not look up - the archivist said, "this __ is 500 bucks a yard" - it looked like a heavier kind of cavalry twill. I thought there was too much of a pattern in the fabric. But a shirt here for 575 dollars does kind of fit: It's more than I will spend but the cloth, production costs, American wages, and LFL/ Disney licensing fee add up.

That makes a lot more senes. You were told there was a cape made from $500/yard wool.

That particular cape, yes. In my work (years ago), I did handle materials like that though. If you have the time, and something that might truly interest many of us out here like it does myself, go to a very high end custom tailor (if you live in a city that is big enough). You might have to pass the smell test but, if they believe you are somewhat serious, ask to see heavy, black wools. Make up a story that you are creating a high end project and say that you would like something heavy with a lot of flow - something like a think pizza dough and they will give you fabric swatch books that will blow your mind. Assuming you have that much free time lol!!!

My Indiana Jones pant were custom tailored years ago (which adds to the price) but I paid $700 for them. And when I looked a little shocked he was kind enough to lay it out for me and the breakdown made some sense.

But I don't do that no more!!!

That makes a lot more senes. You were told there was a cape made from $500/yard wool.

Since no one seems to know how much x fabric might actually cost, no one seems to know how much licensing Star Wars might actually cost, and no one seems to know what sort of profit margins Anovos is working with on these or any other products, this all seems a little.... pointless.

The cost seems too high? The cost is too much for you to spend? Ok, that’s fine. But lots of comments here are going into the territory of “it can’t cost that much to produce,” with nothing to really support such a claim.

In the end, does it really matter? Those who want it will pay it (as evidenced by wave 1 selling out). Those who don’t have plenty or cheaper options. I don’t think it’s worth getting too worked up about.

Has there been any word on the spring release of the imperial stormtrooper helmet? Has anyone gotten a shipping notice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those interested, I received shipping confirmation for my replacement Skywalker Bespin belt. They swapped out the small I ordered for a large.

I have not been given an update on the short holster strap issue, but I've been told they're looking into it.

In the meantime, I sent my holster to a leather shop to have the strap modified.

More to come...

Sean

For those interested, I received shipping confirmation for my replacement Skywalker Bespin belt. They swapped out the small I ordered for a large.

I have not been given an update on the short holster strap issue, but I've been told they're looking into it.

In the meantime, I sent my holster to a leather shop to have the strap modified.

More to come...

Sean

Thanks for the update. No update on my end from CS but he was confirming holding a Large belt and exchanging my medium. Im guessing everyone interested saw the recent ESB Luke belt 25 run wave 1 @ $299 and wave 2 @ $350 a belt.

So the saga continues...

My replacement belt arrived today, and while the bag says large, the belt is clearly marked medium, and is too small... :facepalm

Waiting to hear back from customer service...

On a lighter note, the leather shop received my holster and is working the modifications. Should be done this week!

Sean

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back