ANOVOS issues (ANOVOS ONLY discussion)

Wow - how strange.

Just got an email saying the TFA trooper bumped to Fall 2018.

- - - Updated - - -

Anovos is in the "foreseeable" future?! ;)

Can't go wrong with Troopermaster. I decided on getting the kit from Anovos for a lot of different reasons than most people do, the key reason being that it's the closest to screen cast snowtrooper armor we're gonna get for the forseable future. I will be using this to make as close to a screen accurate costume display as I can using this armor, RS Helmet and backpack, and original slider knob and Ab disc - along with the other components that make up the snowtrooper costume.

I just got my Anovos X-wing flak vest a couple days ago and thought I'd post pictures for those that were curious about it. Just a quick thanks to DL007 who helped out with some questions I had on the vest.

Based on good overall review and price point to construction, I was kicking myself for missing the in-stock window for the vest. On a whim, I asked Anovos if they had any Xwing vests, though they had been sold out (and removed from the site) for at least a month. That day a ticket was open and 2 days later they they did find 1 XL size in the warehouse. I'm a size L but beggars can't be choosers. I took a risk it could be sized down (at worst I'd alter it down) and bought it.

I just have to say I am very happy with the piece overall and I had really great Anovos CS during this whole process. Overall its pretty faithful to the vests I've looked at in screen caps or in tour photos, however this is not a replica of the 1962 Windack Pressure vest...

The oddest thing is the placement of the shoulder straps... they are not flush with the edges.. not sure why Anovos did that ... I don't recall any version of the Xwing vest not being flush with the edge. I knew this was an "issue" before I bought it (Anovos pics showed this) but I thought I could easily alter this. I still can, but based on the stitching and construction its not as easy as I thought. They used springs instead of rubber hose to make the ribs... this is great for overall feel and wearability and a big reason I bought it ...but to support the weight, the shoulder straps run the entire vest, as such moving them to the edge is a lot more complicated (see pics below).

There are few other little details they augmented. For example, the strap under the arm has elastic for extra "fit." Also, there is some excess "trim fabric" for lack of better term. I suppose that I can remove the extra fabric to get the shoulder straps to the edge too.

As I said its very faithful to flack vests I've looked at and I'm very happy with it. However, my guess will be If you're going for 501/Rebel Legion there is some work to do to get it approved. I'll definitely be doing some work to get the shoulder straps flush with the edge and shortening the underarm straps as its a size too big (this is an easier alteration).

Below are pictures of the vest. If you have other questions let me know.

Xwing vest 1.pngXwing vest 2.pngXwing vest 3.pngXwing vest 4.pngXwing vest 5.png

I just got my Anovos X-wing flak vest a couple days ago and thought I'd post pictures for those that were curious about it. Just a quick thanks to DL007 who helped out with some questions I had on the vest.

Based on good overall review and price point to construction, I was kicking myself for missing the in-stock window for the vest. On a whim, I asked Anovos if they had any Xwing vests, though they had been sold out (and removed from the site) for at least a month. That day a ticket was open and 2 days later they they did find 1 XL size in the warehouse. I'm a size L but beggars can't be choosers. I took a risk it could be sized down (at worst I'd alter it down) and bought it.

I just have to say I am very happy with the piece overall and I had really great Anovos CS during this whole process. Overall its pretty faithful to the vests I've looked at in screen caps or in tour photos, however this is not a replica of the 1962 Windack Pressure vest...

The oddest thing is the placement of the shoulder straps... they are not flush with the edges.. not sure why Anovos did that ... I don't recall any version of the Xwing vest not being flush with the edge. I knew this was an "issue" before I bought it (Anovos pics showed this) but I thought I could easily alter this. I still can, but based on the stitching and construction its not as easy as I thought. They used springs instead of rubber hose to make the ribs... this is great for overall feel and wearability and a big reason I bought it ...but to support the weight, the shoulder straps run the entire vest, as such moving them to the edge is a lot more complicated (see pics below).

There are few other little details they augmented. For example, the strap under the arm has elastic for extra "fit." Also, there is some excess "trim fabric" for lack of better term. I suppose that I can remove the extra fabric to get the shoulder straps to the edge too.

As I said its very faithful to flack vests I've looked at and I'm very happy with it. However, my guess will be If you're going for 501/Rebel Legion there is some work to do to get it approved. I'll definitely be doing some work to get the shoulder straps flush with the edge and shortening the underarm straps as its a size too big (this is an easier alteration).

Below are pictures of the vest. If you have other questions let me know.

View attachment 826622View attachment 826623View attachment 826624View attachment 826625View attachment 826626

The problem with the vest is Anovos did not include any where to loop the harness straps. And the shoulder straps and the rear strap has a very distracting pattern in the material. But it is still nice! I almost went with it but they had no L so I went with Custom Props who has the harness strap loops and some leather trim where the rear strap meet at the sides.

and notice...you'll have to "flip" the vest to be ANH...rear to front, and front to rear. The Anovos pics of the pilot have the vest backwards

@FL007 - Depends on what you consider the front/back of this vest. ANH the top "gap" or no ribs area is worn in front (this side has Anovos tag inside). I personally consider this the front as thats how the vest was designed to be worn.. and as seen in ANH. There are ANH promo photos where this was worn backwards on Luke. For ESB you'll have to flip around AND add metal greeblies to it.

inquisitor Pereguinis - good point I'd have to check that out..

Last edited by a moderator:
You only have to add metal hooks if you are doing a Luke The Empire Strikes Back version, I do not believe anyone but Luke has the hooks. (off topic.. He is also the only pilot character in The Empire Strikes Back wearing a holster rig, all the others wear the standard gray belt strap on the outside of the jacket. I wonder if the other pilot talk about him behind his back because of this.)

I can't speak for anything done differently for Rogue One but I had done a lot of research for the OT vest around 2001 and 2002. After I had mine made, I did not redo anymore research so i am going off memory and old info... From what I can tell from the screen used vest is that the shoulder straps, the adjustable strap in the back, and the tunnel pieces that hold the back strap in place are made from the same material as the vest itself. Not sure why some many fans making this vest think they have to find a ready made strap source. That's why so many fan vests look a little off. It is so easy to make a strap from fabric. Anyone who has sewn a pair of pants and had to make the belt loops know what I mean. Its basically, folding, pressing, and stitching or a variant of that to get what you want. When I got my mine made, I had it done this way and it looks great.

And i also agree about the one size fit all. When i had mine made, I used the way the vest looked on Mark as he and I are about the same height and body type. However I guess sizing does play a part depending on what your goal is. If you are 6'2" and you want to cosplay Luke, then you need a vest that is scaled up (larger) in size. However, if you are 6'2" and want to cosplay a 6'2" pilot in the Star Wars universe, then you are going to want a vest that looks smaller than it does when Luke/Mark is wearing it.

From what I can tell from the screen used vest is that the shoulder straps, the adjustable strap in the back, and the tunnel pieces that hold the back strap in place are made from the same material as the vest itself.

I thought the back strap was webbing, but everything else was the same nylon fabric. And were the side tabs that the buckles are on leather or fabric? I have seen conflicting info.

It's a shame that Anovos hasn't shown any helmets from Solo. Unless we see something at SDCC, I assume we aren't going to get any, which makes sense with how the film underperformed. Anovos has been the only source (discounting the extremely short lived and expensive Propshop) for scanned from original helmets from the new films, so it would be a shame to have a hole in the collection.

It's a shame that Anovos hasn't shown any helmets from Solo. Unless we see something at SDCC, I assume we aren't going to get any, which makes sense with how the film underperformed. Anovos has been the only source (discounting the extremely short lived and expensive Propshop) for scanned from original helmets from the new films, so it would be a shame to have a hole in the collection.

And they cancelled the Shore Trooper armor for lack of interest, which bodes ill also. More than the helmets-- which fan builders can work up from photo reference, ANOVOS are the only ones likely to be able to do the hidden/complicated portions of a lot of those -- like the Mimban officers' backplate or the fiendishly fiddly Range Trooper mag-boots.

From what I've observed, Anovos seems to be off with their time to market. The Shoretrooper kit was offered months after R1 had been released.

If they really want to capitalize on the release of a movie, they should be ready to sell items in conjunction with the release. Not sure if that's an Anovos issue or The Mouse holding the reigns...

But that's a long way of saying there still might be hope for Solo items.

Sean

From what I've observed, Anovos seems to be off with their time to market. The Shoretrooper kit was offered months after R1 had been released.

If they really want to capitalize on the release of a movie, they should be ready to sell items in conjunction with the release. Not sure if that's an Anovos issue or The Mouse holding the reigns...

Sean

I noticed that with R1 and TFA as well (Flame Troopers and Snow Troopers weren't offered until this last year), but TLJ had preorders for the Executioner TK, standard TK, and Praetorian before the film premiered, which is what worries me. Of course, it also seems that Anovos has been underdoing massive changes in their product lines in the past months, so who knows. I'll hold on hope until SDCC, but after that I'll probably let go.

Sean

I think one also has to consider the timeline for movies which is more compressed now. By the time props are designed, finalized, made, and available for research/scanning that's not a lot of time for any company to pick "winning/sell-able" props design and manufacture then when the movie is released. This is a total guess by the maker. Also consider the current Star Wars situation. Solo did not due as well as expected, and some say its TLJ effect. I dont know about that, but Anovos may not want to invest a lot of time or resources in new SW movie stuff if it tanks... they know SW original trilogy stuff sells. I am surprised Solo helmets aren't out now for pre-order tho ... any helmet seems to do well. And helmets are good display for lots of people.... that and sabres or blasters.

Just got an email saying the TFA trooper bumped to Fall 2018.

Missed this on first post. Double-check that. I have gotten no such -- not even in my junk mail. I have seen some posting that the TLJ helmet has been delayed. Since the Standard TFA FOTK armor kit and helmet set is the only Star Wars thing I'm waiting on, I checked with them and while yes the TLJ helmet has been delayed, there is nothing new on the TFA version or armor.

Missed this on first post. Double-check that. I have gotten no such -- not even in my junk mail. I have seen some posting that the TLJ helmet has been delayed. Since the Standard TFA FOTK armor kit and helmet set is the only Star Wars thing I'm waiting on, I checked with them and while yes the TLJ helmet has been delayed, there is nothing new on the TFA version or armor.
I am on the interest list for the FOTK and my understanding from the site is that they are on the way here for shipping to customers. I did indeed get an email that the TLJ FO helmet is delayed, about 10 days after it was posted to Anovos' site. I am really hoping to get an FOTK kit from one of the many orders I see have been cancelled because of the wait., but if I don't at least I didn't go without that cash for a couple years.

Was thinking exactly the same thing, IP.
I’ve got the TFA armour on order, but have seen no reference or emails stating this will be further delayed.
Like yourself I have seen various mentions about the TLJ helmets, so maybe there’s some confusion.
Would hate for the TFA orders to be put back again!

I’m still waiting for my General Merrick XWing Helmet from Rogue One. That was supposed to be a quick slam-dunk given it was just a paint job on an existing helmet.

Very disappointing!

Cheers

Jez

OK, so paid my substantial UK import fees on an AT-ACT helmet to find visor damaged.

Anyone UK based had to return a damaged item to Anovos?

Getting it back isn’t the problem (I’m assuming they cover return postage fees on damaged items?), it’s having to pay (substantial) customs fees again on a replacement helmet.

If anyone’s got advice on the dilemma, I’d be interested to hear.
0FFB3970-8FBB-4158-94CC-F8A97E1FCC5C.jpeg7777C4C6-3DFD-4C52-947B-2A6AAC439612.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back