Another Zvezda Star Destroyer

Mirroring the comments of EVERYONE else... your work and dedication to this project is simply fantastic! Question, what size drill bits did you use for the lighting on the bridge section?

[QUOTE="DCModelArts, post: 4658180, Question, what size drill bits did you use for the lighting on the bridge section?
[/QUOTE]
Thanks mate. Im using #80 carbidebits that go into my Dremel. Only broke 1 so far

^ G’day Madhatter , Congrats on a terrific looking build so far.:p

I’m over here in Perth and have one of these sitting on my ‘waiting to be built’ shelves, so naturally I’ve subbed your thread along with a few others on this brilliant site for inspiration & future reference.
I’m wondering if you could provide info on where you scored the ‘carbide’ bits - considering that most ( actually all ) others have gone through many more whilst drilling out their ‘windows’ for FO lighting, and what’s #80 in mm please ?

Cheers Ged

The insane level of detail aside, I love the look of the neck in the last couple of shots- not sure if that's your final paint layer, but something just looks right about the colour. Did you just go white over the naked grey plastic, or did you prime it first (black?)?

I love all the details you've added.

You are definitely a master at getting scale details in there. Everything from your Galactica stuff to the Yamato stuff has been very impressive

The insane level of detail aside, I love the look of the neck in the last couple of shots- not sure if that's your final paint layer, but something just looks right about the colour. Did you just go white over the naked grey plastic, or did you prime it first (black?)?

I primed it semigloss black and sprayed a custom mix of white, off white and a drop of Gunze 308. I did mask some panels here and there when putting on the main colours to break up the mononity of the base colour.

I love all the details you've added.

You are definitely a master at getting scale details in there. Everything from your Galactica stuff to the Yamato stuff has been very impressive

Galactica stuff? Goodness, that was a long time ago. I never did finish those off. Funnily enough I came across the Pegasus last week when I was tidying up and I struggled to remember why I put it away. I think it was because I'd run out of SMDs which naturally has been long since rectified. Once I'm done with this SD, I might pull it out and finish it off as it was showing promise
I think I only put that up on ARC, so what handle do you go by there ?

Where are you getting those little cream/tan greeblies you are adding? I am building one as well and haven't seen anything like that. Are they bits you are molding yourself or can they be found online? Thanks!

They're parts I use a lot of from a 1/700 ship set by Pitt Road that I made molds of and then cast in resin. Can't afford to keeping buying whole sets of them when using the bits in multiple places.

Ged, those drill bits are quite fragile but if you keep a steady hand whilst drilling you won't have an issue. Mind you, I broke 2 last night due to clumsiness

hi fellas
Time for a quick update. The wife is heading away for a week with the boy, so I shall have lots of spare time to invest in getting some serious work done on this - provided World of Warships doesn't interfere too much. I promise nothing....

I've started work on the "nose" as you'll see. I steered clear of cutting it off and dropping it like others before me. Fair enough if I was replicating the studio build but it's not necessary here. I realised I had cut out the backing board where the front roof sits thinking there would be something sitting in front of it - there is, but it's not what I thought. A quick sheet of styrene fixed that and I shall add some detail to it in due course. My intention is to have some pipes running back over the edge up into the cavity above it.
Time will tell if that will be something that could work as the roofs will be the last thing to be glued on after the fibers have gone in.
Still lots of detail to add to the rest of the surface but I am getting there slowly but surely

48742265028_96d15b9e44_c.jpg

48742590521_6001b3d183_c.jpg

48742591971_0acda1510c_c.jpg

48742769842_4092363531_c.jpg

48742768517_74e7a6e3ee_c.jpg

48742767002_7bfbddb1e8_c.jpg

The rear side roofs are also completed and ready to go on. They were a nice quick and easy job - well, in consideration of everything else they were

48742765557_63b3173dc5_c.jpg

Well, that's all I have for now, but hopefully the next update will be better
As always, thanks for stopping by and having a look
Si

I'm looking at your thread with a magnifying glass mate...hope you don't mind, 'cause at that level of details, my eyes need all the help they can get :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy::notworthy:(y)(y)(y)(y)

Fan-bloody-tastic Mate !:p
I remember you saying in an earlier post that ‘greebling up’ areas can be therapeutic , and can certainly understand that sentiment when cutting and placing ‘chips’ of styrene around, but how do you handle cutting and putting all those ‘other’ complex parts together - the ones with raised surfaces , angled & chiseled out edges ?

Fan-bloody-tastic Mate !:p
I remember you saying in an earlier post that ‘greebling up’ areas can be therapeutic , and can certainly understand that sentiment when cutting and placing ‘chips’ of styrene around, but how do you handle cutting and putting all those ‘other’ complex parts together - the ones with raised surfaces , angled & chiseled out edges ?
Thanks mate
I'm guessing you mean the ship parts? Things like guns I hold with tweezers in one hand and use a razor blade to slice them in half and then sand it down to a thinner profile, The other bits are done in pretty much the same way - razor blade and a file.
Or are you referring to something else and I've completely missed the point?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back