Another Cantina Creation - Djas Puhr bust!!

TomSpinaDesigns

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey all,

I've always loved this guy, just sitting there quietly as Muftak hogs the camera. In particular, I really dug his Outer Limits style and Planet of the Apes clothing.

Here's a shot from the set....
djasRef2.jpg

Below are pics of my recreation. It's another latex bust with custom glass eyes. The "clothing" was made by me with scraps from my remnants bin (the leather was originally from a thrift store coat.). I'm actually working with someone now who's able to offer nicely patterned and stiched "clothing" to finish off busts like this. More on that soon.

The sculpt was a fun one, helped along greatly with screencaps and photos from the Holiday Special, where his skin color was fleshy (and thus making his features much easier to discern.) His neck also wasn't as jammed up as it is in that ANH set photo above (guess those damn dirty apes had tight collars.) so that helped get that right as well.

I may paint one up in that Holiday Special look someday... I also think he'd look great with a "Sixth Finger" style paint job (as the design was clearly inspired by the character from that OL episode.)

If anyone's interested in this guy, please drop me a PM for details.

Enjoy the pics :)

Tom

DjasPuhr1.JPG

DjasPuhr3.JPG

DjasPuhr5.JPG

You added more of a frown to him and I really like that since the original was a pull over mask and you can see the cut out latex around the eyes, you nicely idealized the eye area to add the better tone of reality. Well, in a matter of speaking. LOL
At any rate I love it.

thanks very much guys.

On the mouth, the other refs show a bit more of a turned down mouth... tough to get all the info from one pic.

Oh and look closely at my eyes, they're done up to look like mask cut outs (and I even matched the asymetrical shapes of the original cutouts, which you can see in the chronicles shots of Baker's teams mask tables). I even used a more matted, gray-black in the "human" area, just tough to capture.

I'll post a close up shortly :)

Tom

Even with a light tent, this guy is tough to photograph..

Here's that CU I mentioned, Eddie. Sorry if you dig the more "real" (well, you know what I mean.) look... I really feel like sometimes details like this can really help the "feel" of the bust so I try to work them in where I can. Always a tough call on whether to idealize or not.

DjasPuhrCU.JPG

Nice. The close up definately shows the detail that the further shots lose. The eyelashes really set it off too. I definately think your going to need a full room to display your entire cantina set soon. Especially at the speed your working on all of these you should have the entire Cantina finished by the end of the year.

Awesome as always Tom. The attention to detail is second to none. I am REALLY thinking of getting some clay under my fingernails after seeing you knock out such incredible pieces :)

I never noticed the Planet of the Apes clothing, thanks for pointing that out .

One more speechless creation.

Amazing Tom. That close up pic is incredible.

Pretty soon you and Richard are going to have a complete Cantina to yourselves. ;)

Originally posted by E2K13@Mar 25 2006, 12:58 AM
You added more of a frown to him and I really like that since the original was a pull over mask and you can see the cut out latex around the eyes, you nicely idealized the eye area to add the better tone of reality. Well, in a matter of speaking. LOL
At any rate I love it.
[snapback]1212888[/snapback]​

thats what i was thinking... but wampa, he means that yours actually looks better. :D

and seriously...

whats the deal brotha?

you CANT be churnin out these awesome pieces this fast.

awesome as always.

when are you gonna do figrin d'an or any cantina band guys?

or have you and i missed it?

and i really want to see a snaggletooth. :D

Originally posted by Simmon M@Mar 25 2006, 04:03 PM
Amazing Tom. That close up pic is incredible.

Pretty soon you and Richard are going to have a complete Cantina to yourselves. ;)
[snapback]1213177[/snapback]​

Hahaha... got a little while to go on that, but it'd be neat to see, eh? :D

Tom

Originally posted by oldken+Mar 25 2006, 04:56 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(oldken @ Mar 25 2006, 04:56 PM)</div>
and seriously...

whats the deal brotha?

you CANT be churnin out these awesome pieces this fast.
[/b]

Hahaa, well, I'm working pretty hard at it of late. Believe it or not I've got two others just about done as well. :D

Originally posted by oldken@Mar 25 2006, 04:56 PM
when are you gonna do figrin d'an or any cantina band guys?
[snapback]1213196[/snapback]​

No need on that one. My buddy Brian did one that is INCREDIBLE.

http://homepage.mac.com/bluesnal/.Pictures...ction/Bith2.jpg

PM me if you wanna hear more about that one. I've seen ones he's made more recently and the finish work is even better than on mine.

<!--QuoteBegin-oldken
@Mar 25 2006, 04:56 PM
and i really want to see a snaggletooth.  :D
[snapback]1213196[/snapback]​

Well then you really need to click my sig. :D

I did Snag about 8 years ago. On my "mask and sculpture work" page you'll see snaps of 3 different styles (the two different cantina styles and the Holiday Special/ROTJ look)

Sadly, I no longer have the mold on that one.

Tom

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back